Question

using a connect and a connect amp together

Hello I am currently using 2 Sonos connects, one is connected to my stereo and the other to my TV in another room, this plays the TV sound through the line in source, what I want to do is buy a pair of exterior speakers for my garden I understand I cannot run these speakers from a connect and I would need a connect amp, if I just got an older style connect amp how would this work with the existing connect which is wired to the stereo? also if I then connected the TV to the new amp which will run the exterior speakers how would I access the TV and the exterior speakers ?would I still have to access one of them through line in or would they both be there own separate zones in the app, any help would be appreciated
Thanks Budgie

10 replies

A Sonos is a Sonos, they all connect together, i.e. can be grouped as separate "rooms"

In your case, either a Sonos Amp or a CONNECT:AMP could drive the garden speakers, and be grouped with the CONNECT that you have currently set up with your TV.
Hi Bruce thanks for the reply so if the new connect would be a separate room how would the tv and my music library be played separately through the garden speakers ?

Budgie
A Sonos is a Sonos, they all connect together, i.e. can be grouped as separate "rooms"

In your case, either a Sonos Amp or a CONNECT:AMP could drive the garden speakers, and be grouped with the CONNECT that you have currently set up with your TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Using the Sonos app, you can instruct your garden speakers to play the line-in source. Alternatively, you can play the line in source in a different room, then group that room with your garden speaker room.
Hi Danny is the line in source the tv only then or could this also include the music library ?

Thanks

Budgie
The line in source would be the TV. The music library isn't a line in, it's just a music source. So yes, both would be accessible.
HI Bruce I wouldn't really want to play the tv through the garden speakers although they would be connected to the amp so just to clarify I would be able to play my library through the garden speakers without using line on the connect amp as it would be classed as a new room?

Thanks

Budgie

The line in source would be the TV. The music library isn't a line in, it's just a music source. So yes, both would be accessible.
When I say "both would be accessible", that means that the library would be playable on your garden speakers.

What you haven't explained as of yet is what device your music library is stored on.

But in any case, the nature of the Sonos system is that any "room" can be grouped with any other "room" in the software, and play streamed music in sync. So if it plays inside, on any of your Sonos speakers inside, then it will play on the speakers that would be connected to an Amp or CONNECT:AMP.
When I say "both would be accessible", that means that the library would be playable on your garden speakers.

What you haven't explained as of yet is what device your music library is stored on.

But in any case, the nature of the Sonos system is that any "room" can be grouped with any other "room" in the software, and play streamed music in sync. So if it plays inside, on any of your Sonos speakers inside, then it will play on the speakers that would be connected to an Amp or CONNECT:AMP.
Thanks for clarifying Bruce, my music library is stored on a Synology nas, would this change anything ?

Thanks

Budgie

No.