Answered

Updating Music library does not bring in all new music tracks from PC folder.

• 5 January 2022
  • 4 replies

My music folder on the PC has 200-250 albums, my Sonos indexes this folder with no problem at all, well it did until the last few days. I have now ripped 4 new Cd’s, copied them into said music folder and ran “Update Music Library Now”. Two of the four Cd’s have appeared with album name, artwork, track info etc, the other two are nowhere to be seen within the Sonos environment. 

I can “see” all four albums using file explorer, I can play all four albums using VLC, so why did the “update music library” miss out two CD’s?

I have ran “update music library” numerous times, but to no avail. Can anybody help?

icon

Best answer by buzz 6 January 2022, 08:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

hi @GMR I would suggest to check the Sonos Music Library path settings - you might remove and re-add the music path 

Hi el rubio, I was ready to do that, but why did the update bring in two of the CD’s if the music path settings were incorrect. It should have ignored all four of the CD’s

the CD tracks should be stored in a folder or subfolder defined in the Sonos Music Library path settings - maybe check also the access rights of the account that is used to read the tracks (read also here about permissions on a pc)

Check to make sure that the metadata is correct.

I wouldn’t expect that your library has enough tracks to breach a limit, but in addition to the 65,000 absolute maximum track limit, there is a size limit. If your meta data is verbose, you could reach the size limit before the track limit.

Go to the Folders view of your library and make sure that the tracks are present. Here you can also view some of the metadata when you play the track.

You can also go to http://[ip address of a player]:1400/support/review, click on a player, then click on Zone Player Info and look at IdxTrk. Normally this field is blank, however, if there was an error while indexing a track, there will be an entry here. Since one of the players will take charge of the index process, you’ll need to check all of the players’ IdxTrk entry.

Another occasional issue you may encounter when the library is too large is that successive runs of the indexer may terminate on different tracks. This can be very confusing for the poor human and is caused by the NAS drive. During the process the indexer asks the drive for a list of files, then works through that list, terminating when a limit is reached. If the drive returns the list in a different order, the excluded tracks will vary from run to run.