Question

Updated router and access to music library denied

• 20 September 2020
  • 9 replies

I updated my router and access to my iTunes Music library was denied. I looked at all of the old threads and followed what they told me to do and still no access. I sent in a diagnostic report 2111532290

I spent thousands of dollars on music and countless hours putting together playlists and it is frustrating that I can’t access them.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Lorramai. Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate for bringing your concern to us and letting us know about it. I'll help you figure out what's happening. 

Upon checking the diagnostic, I can see that your Sonos system is running is the S1 system in SonosNet mode and there’s no information about your local music in the diagnostic.

What caught my attention, the reason why you can’t access your iTunes Music library is that your MAC is connected to a different IP address while your Sonos is in another IP address.

For you to access your music library on your MAC, it should be in the same network as your Sonos.

I would like to suggest the following steps to check if this would help out.

1. Connect your MAC to the same WiFi network as your Sonos. If you have an ethernet cable, you can wire your MAC to the same router where one of your speakers is connected to.
  2. Open the Sonos app on your MAC to check if you’re connected.
  3. Once connected, go to your music library to see if you’re still getting the same error message.

If you’re having the same issue, you can remove and re-add your music library on the Sonos app.

After performing the steps mentioned above and you’re still having an issue, please submit a diagnostic report for us to check.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above, we're here to answer any further questions you may have.

I hardwired the computer and the speakers to the router and still get the same error message. I had already removed the music library before sending the diagnostics in because songs could not be found. when I tried to add it back I got the error message.

I submitted a new diagnostics while the computer and speaker were hardwired. #776893366

The computer that has the music library is an iMac and not usually in the room with the router. I have always had it on the wireless network and brought it down to the router to do the test.

I appreciate your help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Lorramai. Thank you for your reply and for providing the diagnostic report. I really appreciate your effort that you have performed yet you're still experiencing the same.

Upon checking the diagnostic, I can see that all your speakers and MAC are in the same network. The error that you received usually caused by network communication, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet. Also, your Sonos devices are been up for 48 days. You can reboot your network devices and Sonos products to refresh the connection.

To reboot your network and Sonos devices, you need to do it sequentially. This is to refresh the connection and to clear any network-related issues that may be causing this issue.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
  4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After rebooting your network and Sonos devices, you will encounter the same issue, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care to remotely connect to your MAC to check what’s going on and to provide the best option for you.

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

I did all of the steps and it still doesn’t work diagnostics 1152125065

I tried calling and was on hold for 20 minutes and then the tech’s system went blank. Now tech support is closed. Is there anything else I can try?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Lorramai, thank you for your response and for submitting the report. I'm sorry to hear that after performing the steps provided, you're still experiencing the same.

Upon checking the diagnostic, your MAC is connected to a different IP address as your Sonos. I understand that you received the same issue when you wired your MAC to your router.

Our phone support team is closed on weekends. I strongly recommend contacting our phone support team on Monday to further assist you on this by remotely connecting to your device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you. What you're experiencing is a connection issue which needs to be isolated if it's the network or with your MAC. 

You can reach our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model for each device.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

I spent quite a bit of time with the support team who logged in and still couldn’t fix the issue. They said they would get back to me as they had to have a higher tiered person look into the issue. They said said everything was on the same network but I never changed the setup. I also notied on my phone app I was signed in with a different e mail address. I even called Apple to see if was a permissions issue with iTunes but they said they don’t support 3rd party apps.

Some of my speakers keep disappearing and we can turn them on but can’t turn them off since they disappear from the app. So to date for several weeks I still can’t access my library and no one from Sonos has gotten back to me. I tried calling again but was warned of very long wait times.

I redid the diagnostics after changing the email address on the phone to match the computer app. Can you shed some light on what you see?

Your confirmation number is: 1502533495.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Lorramai, thank you for reaching back to the community and for updating us. I appreciate you contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to assist you with this. Let me check what I can do.

I see that your concern has been escalated. The higher tiered person will continue to investigate what's causing the issue and will get back to you if they need to know details about your system and your network. You may need to check your email as you will receive the update within 24 to 48 business days.

Upon checking the diagnostic, your MAC and your Sonos are both in different WiFi that's why you're still having the same issue connecting to your music library. You are currently running two WiFi routers at the same time and it's not really a recommended setup. If your computer is connected to the other WiFi, you will not see your Sonos system or you may encounter problems connecting to it. You can also view the Sonos system requirements article on our support website for more information.

I can suggest two options for you:

• You may contact your Internet Service Provider to do Bridge Mode so that the other router will just act as a passthrough or just turn off its ability to emit Wifi.
  • Wait for our higher-tiered support feedback for the best recommendation to address your concern.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Thanks for pointing this out. I think 24 to 48 days is a long time to wait. I redid the wireless setup as I was confused about how they could be on another network when I only have one network. I set them up again and still have the same error. Can you tell me they are still on different networks? I may have to bring in some IT people although this should be simple and I usually figure things out. Thanks for your help.

The diagnostics 918800345.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Lorramai, thank you for the update and for submitting another diagnostic. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps.

I do apologize for the incorrect information about the waiting time for the response. To correct it,  you will receive the update via email within 24 to 48 business hours.

Upon checking the diagnostic, they are still connected to different WiFi networks. Let me send you a private message to explain how your MAC and your Sonos connected to your network.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can assist you with. We and the community are always here.