Update problems 8.2 and 8.2.2

• 13 December 2017
  • 37 replies

This latest update is ridiculous - my app and system continually want to update, no way to turn off the request. It won’t successfully update, and I always get an Error 30 upon resolution. The recommended path forward is for me to disconnect all my equipment, update, then connect one puece and update again. This is crazy - I have over a dozen units, all tuned and working fine before this update. Forcing me to spend an hour or more updating your software is unreasonable.

Very unhappy with this update. Is there any other means of updating?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There have been more updates recently. Historically Sonos has only had a few updates a year.

When I have had trouble with hardware updating (I assume your app updated fine) .... just try taking one unit and hooking a single unit to your router. Give it a couple minutes to adjust to being sonosnet. Then try updating hardware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Under settings...advanced settings. There is a checkbox to turn off automatically check for updates.
I have no advance setting choice under settings.
I am also in the loop where Sonos tells me that I need to update, opens the App Store to update, but the only choice is to open Soonos, which puts me back into the loop.
I am also in the loop where Sonos tells me that I need to update, opens the App Store to update, but the only choice is to open Soonos, which puts me back into the loop.

It sometimes caches, so you need to refresh the page by pulling down, or just install it from the app store directly .
Update first using a desktop app. When the update is complete, delete the iPhone app, and re-download it from the App Store. Worked for me.
There is no “advanced settings” option under the settings menu on my app. It’s not just the constant update request (although that is annoying). It’s that their software update has caused a major issue with my system that will take a user lots of time and effort to fix. Most of my hardware is mounted with concealed cords in innocuous locations. Having to unplug every unit in my house to update software on a system that was functioning perfectly before is not reasonable.

I do have one unit plugged directly into my network hub/switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I didn’t say unplug every unit. Just one unit hooked to router.

No you will not see the advanced menu because your software is updated and not your hardware. You will see it after you update the hardware.

Plug one Sonos unit into your router. Give system 5 minutes to adjust then try update of hardware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Had the same or similar issue on my iPhone X. I first reset my router...no Joy. My next step was to delete the Sonos app and when prompted Connect to an existing Sonos system. At first I thought everything was fine as the update seemed to take. However, I discovered I could not connect to my Sonos account. So I reset my router once again and since I use a Boost I reset it also. Eureka!!! Everything is back to normal and running Sonos 8.2.2. Resetting my Boost would be the same as if I were using a Sonos speaker in Boost Mode which I suspect is along the same thought process as RVA Chris suggested.

However, If you're listening Sonos Development this update is a bit buggy at first. I'd never experienced any diffuculty updatinng before. Guess there's a first time for everything. Cheers!
Chris - I mention unplugging all units because that’s what the sonos troubleshooting guide says to do.

I have a play 5 plugged in to my network switch which is plugged directly into my router. I’ll try changing it to be plugged directly in to the router and try the update again.

I still think that it is poor testing for sonos to release an update that requires this sort of behavior to update.
I just did my 5 zone set system; faultless as always and done in 5 minutes. So it isn't as if there is an all pervasive bug. I know the last time I had to delete the Sonos app on the iPhone and reinstall it; the update route was hanging and I suspect that was an Apple issue.

The occasional glitch like this usually hits early adopters with agencies other than Sonos involved in the process, and usually also have a simple workaround.
I’ve tried updating via android and iPhone, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app on both, no success.

I’ve plugged my boost directly into the router and tried updating, fails.
I’ve tried plugging the play 5 that is close enough directly into the router and updating again, fails.
I’ve also reset my controller and reconnected. Still all fails.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like your issue is unique. I would call Sonos on phone.

In meantime out of curiosity. If you unplug all your Sonos units as you did. Have the single Sonos unit on that is hard wired to the router. Will it update.

It sometimes caches, so you need to refresh the page by pulling down, or just install it from the app store directly .

I have exact same problem. When I go directly to the app store it allows me to open currently installed app, but not update it. Something is wrong with that update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’ve tried updating via android and iPhone, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app on both, no success.

I’ve plugged my boost directly into the router and tried updating, fails.
I’ve tried plugging the play 5 that is close enough directly into the router and updating again, fails.

Two things....

Regarding your phones..are they up-to-date with the latest software? Outdated software on any device can cause problems with an App.

Regarding your Boost...What did you mean when you said..."I've plugged my boost directly into the router" . Your Boost should have already been plugged into your router. Were you by chance indicating that you reset your Boost? If so, doing so only requires that you disconnect power for about 30 secs to reset. No need to remove the Ethernet cable.

Also, I suggest you follow these steps after you are sure the software on your phones are up-to-date.

Unplug every device that uses Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Reset your router. Plug in every device (starting with your Boost then Sonos speakers) one by one. This process should eliminate any internal IP conflicts. Just a suggestion. If no joy then submit a diagnostic as suggested by Chris.

Good luck and Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have exact same problem. When I go directly to the app store it allows me to open currently installed app, but not update it. Something is wrong with that update.

You need to delete the App. Then go to App store and download the new version. Worked for me with a few caveats. See my first post from 10 hrs ago.
This latest update is ridiculous - my app and system continually want to update, no way to turn off the request. It won’t successfully update, and I always get an Error 30 upon resolution. The recommended path forward is for me to disconnect all my equipment, update, then connect one puece and update again. This is crazy - I have over a dozen units, all tuned and working fine before this update. Forcing me to spend an hour or more updating your software is unreasonable.

Very unhappy with this update. Is there any other means of updating?

I finally got everything on 8.2.2 on the third try.

I had to reboot all my devices - http://:1400/reboot

Then check the software version release date of each device after the reboots - http://:1400/support/review

Then reboot any device that isn't on the latest (December) version before attempting the update again via the app.

I've only had Sonos for a couple of years but this is the first update that's given me any trouble.
Yes, in the past Ive been extremely happy with sonos - regular beta program tester for them, no issues for years. That is part of why this one is so frustrating to me.

I submitted a diagnostic and help ticket last night. I unfortunately work/commute during the hours they publish as being available via phone, so email is my most effective method for communicating directly with them.

Chris : Nothing I have tried has been successful in updating my system. I havent unplugged every sonos device in the house yet, that will require a substantial amount of time since many of my units are mounted high up and Ill need to carry a ladder around my house to every room. I did unplug everything form my router, then plugged my boost (only) in, and when that failed, tried plugging a play 5 (only) in to the router directly, and that also did not work.

AjTrek1: Yes, all phones and tablets are running the most up to date software version available for the OS, and the app itself updates and downloads without an issue. Its the system update that fails. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app on both an android phone and an iphone and then running the update - still fails.
RE: My boost. My network is set up with my router connected directly and only to a network switch. All other devices have been on the network switch (including the Sonos Boost) for more than a few years, and I havent had any issues with the sonos system set up that way in the past. I have changed nothing about my network set up in many many months, so if there is an IP conflict it was caused by this update. What I did last night was remove the network switch, and connect the boost directly to the router (which shouldnt have an impact from a networking perspective, but I tried it anyway). That update failed, so I removed the boost, and connected a Play 5 directly to the router, and that update failed too. I both RESET my boost, and changed ethernet cable connection point as options - neither worked. And yes, I did these after checking for OS updates and Sonos app updates.

Thanks for the advice everyone - hopefully the Sonos team can help me directly.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This latest update is ridiculous -
The most rediculous with this update is that it doesn't contain any improvement at all regarding the layout and colors.... why not listen to the costumers and do some real improvements???
This update was likely already in process even before the original 8.0 was released. I suppose they could have held on to the update that fixes a vulnerability in their software in order to include layout improvements.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This latest update is ridiculous -
The most rediculous with this update is that it doesn't contain any improvement at all regarding the layout and colors.... why not listen to the costumers and do some real improvements???

While our design team is looking into app improvements right now, this update had an extremely important security update that we felt needed to be out as soon as possible. It patches the KRACK vulnerabilities in the wireless of our products (see https://www.krackattacks.com for more information on these vulnerabilities). While updates might not have something specific you're looking for, we try to make sure to only put them out when it's something important.
I wasn't able to edit my previous response, let's try it again:

I had multiple errors with the latest update and finally got everything on 8.2.2 after the third try.
No need to physically unplug anything.

I initially rebooted all my devices - http://(sonos IP address):1400/reboot

Then checked the software version release date of each device after the reboots - http://(any sonos IP address):1400/support/review

This generates a list of all Sonos devices, expand the headings to see all IP addresses and software versions.

Then reboot any device that isn't on the latest (December) version before attempting the update again via the app.

I've only had Sonos for a couple of years but this is the first update that's given me any trouble.
Hello,

This update is a disaster.I f have just sent support the following report.

After being prompted by the app I started an update of the controller to version 8.2.2. The update did not finish and stopped in the middle of "finishing up" where its timed out. It was almost impossible to connect to the system, but once in a while I succeeded for very short periods. The system reported an error code 1101. I tried to reinstall as suggested, but that failed miserably. From the failed update I ran in to severe network issues. As it turned out after several hours of searching the SONOS system was flooding the network to an extend that other network traffic was not possible anymore. The network just broke down under the generated traffic. After physically removing all the SONOS devices from the network (they are all connected by wired ethernet) the network recovered. I have attached two screen prints where it is visible that when the devices are connected to the network the network goes to the brim of capacity. The file SONOS_Lan shows the load on the 2.4 GHz Band (almost 90%) and the Sonos-Lan-2 shows the traffic in the 5 GHz band. Unfortunately I am not able to provide you with the diagnostic information as it simply is impossible to establish a connection between the app and the controller.
Unquote

I hope the will fix this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
8.2.2 update worked fine for me, from prevous 8.2 where I had to remove & re-install the app. My iphone is not upto date as I ignored that request first.