Update Killed Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge
Are you kidding?? We use Sonos in the office. It worked last week, and today one of our users tried to use it and the iPhone app says it can't find the network. My iPhone worked fine until I did the upgrade and now IT DOESN'T WORK. Don't you guys test this stuff?? If our IT guy put something in that failed so miserably, he would probably be fired (at the very least he would be ashamed).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Hi. The update is fine or there would be thousands of posts like yours by now. I suggest calling Sonos Support to get your local issue resolved.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Oh, really. It worked fine. Two devices download the update, and now it doesn't work. But yea, you're right. It's probably not the update. Oh, and I did call support. They're experiencing heavy volume and the recording suggested I use this forum. Gee, maybe the heavy call volume is from . . . . the bad update.
If the Sonos app can't find the network on the user's device, it is because the user's device isn't on the right WIFI network that Sonos uses. That has nothing to do with Sonos. Does your iPhone's Sonos app not work for the same reason? Same cause. Check your office's network and WIFI.
You were asked to come on here to ask for help. If you had done so you would have got it..
Userlevel 2
Badge
We just have the one WiFi network and it is working fine. I turned the router on and off and the Sonos devices on and off. I've tried setting it up as a new system. It seems to ID the Play 5, but when it gets to the step where it says it's creating a temporary "Sonos" Wifi network for my phone to find, that "Sonos" network does not display on my phone, so the whole process is a dead end at that point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
on iPhone I would go to your iPhone settings....tell it under network to forget your wif network. REboot the phone and add back wifi. See if Sonos app now comes up.

yes they test extensively - if issue its on your end.

issue normally happens with ios updates vs. sonos update.
If you have factory reset then if anything you have made things worse. Did you reset all Sonos devices? (I am trying to help here)
Userlevel 2
Badge
I took the steps chris suggested above. The Sonos app still doesn't recognize the system and the setup process dead ends at the point where I'm supposed to see the temporary Sonos network. I did not do a factory re-set, I have just been trying to set it up as a new system since it can't seem to find the old one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don’t choose setup new system. You have existing system. Choose connect to existing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have done as I said and reset your phone. Then try plugging one into your router and try again. Connect existing

Don’t do any hard resets or New setup
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Again. The temporary thing is setting up new system. Don’t choose new system choose connect existing
Userlevel 2
Badge
Phone app says, "Existing system not found" Also, there are only two speakers and they are connected to power only in two different offices. The router is plugged into a small Sonos white box (I forget the name) in an equipment room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you were running sonosnet. That bridge in router room making connection. That box isn’t working right. Did you turn it off and back on. If still doesn’t work. Try taking one of the speakers into that router room and plug it into the router like that bridge. It should come up then.

Then with it up and running I would do a hard reset in that bridge and see if you can add it back to system. If you can then your back in business. If you can’t there is something wrong with that bridge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Let me know how far you progress and I can help from there.
Userlevel 2
Badge
router now connected to Play 1. Still get "Existing system not found." Then, the app prompts to press the "Plus" and "Play" buttons simultaneously, but nothing happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It shouldn’t ask you to press anything when existingbsustem not found.

Did you give it few minutes come up. Is the play:1 showing solid white light?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Solid blue light . . . .
Userlevel 2
Badge
Or, light blue. I guess it could be white.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It’s probably solid white. So it’s hooked to router by Ethernet cable. Your hooked to WiFi if same router on phone and you choose connect existing and it can’t find. Double check WiFi your connected to.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes, all that is true. The WiFi is working. We use it for other things here and it is working.
The WIFI itself may be working but it is possible there is a fault at the peripheral level. Did you restart that router? Do so if it won't disrupt too much business for the minute or so it takes to restart.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Somehow it doesn’t seem your WiFi is connecting to your hard wired system at this time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How is your system setup. Do you have wireless access points (and stand along hardwire ports switches) vs. a single router
Userlevel 2
Badge
i'm told it's not really a router, it's a switch, but the port that the sonos hub was plugged into acts like a router. I can't re-set the switch without affecting the phones and the network. My guy is going to re-set the wifi. It may not be a normal sonos set up, but it did work, for years, until we downloaded the update this morning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
sometimes restarting devices can make network issues show up. The sonos unit seems to be working fine - the connectivity into your switch from your wifi does not seem to be passing correctly.