Question

Unwanted volume fluctuations

• 20 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Is anyone experiencing volume fluctuations on their Playbar while watching TV? The volume will switch between very loud and soft, but only while watching ABC on my TV. All other channels the volume remains constant. No new updates are available for my system when I check.

6 replies

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I prefer to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thanks for the response. I did submit my issue to customer care yesterday before posting here. But I did submit a system diagnostic this morning as you suggested. My only other thought is that I stream TV through a ROKU stick, but can't find any potential solutions through that path either.
Unless you post the number here, the Community Forum mods would likely be unable to reference it.

However, in my book, you're always better off taking to Support directly. While the community mods are indeed wizards (IMHO), the support folks are more timely, because that's the only job they're doing. And I'm not sure if your submission to customer care included an indication of the diagnostic number. They don't look at them unless prompted, as indicated in https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/diagnostic-reports-how-do-they-work-6819123

Contact Sonos Support

I'd be interested when you get a resolution, if you could post it here. I'd love to know more about how this is possible.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Some channels purposely do that. The regular programming is quiet, making you turn up the volume, and then the commercials are crazy loud. See if you notice that pattern when it happens again.
Couldn't agree with jnak more.

It's frustrating (not agreeing with jnak, but the regular programming volume versus commercials volume).

But the OP didn't mention commercials as being the issue, just ABC, which I do find odd, as I've not noticed any issues, at least with my DirecTV to Vizio to PLAYBAR setup, with locals from Austin, TX
It appears I’ve found a fix, hopefully permanently. From the diagnostics I sent in there weren’t any issues on the Sonos end. So I went into my ROKU audio settings and changed it from an auto-detect mode to a digital mode and that seems to have stopped the volume fluctuations. Thanks for your responses!