Answered

Unstable Sonos - again !

• 30 November 2018
  • 34 replies

Badge +1
Hello,

For the thousand time I again suffer from unstable Sonos. 'The connection to Spotify was lost' is a quite common issue. The other problems is players falling in and out, music skipping songs etc.

I've tried my very best to buy quality products in all areas. I have a good stable 500 Mbps fiber connection to the internet. I have a Sonos Boost which is NOT placed next to any other wireless device. I've had a lot of help from Sonos support in the past but now the Sonos experience is again very unstable and frustrating.

None of my speakers should be connected via the regular Wifi but are using the Boost. The regular Wifi runs on channel 1 while the Sonos Boost runs on channel 11.

I use static DHCP in my Sophos XG Central Firewall so the Sonos should always have the same IP-address. All LAN-addresses have free access to WAN through the firewall.

I don't know what I can do to fix this. Right now both Play:5 and the SUB will not connect even though I've restarted them by pulling the power chord.
icon

Best answer by sdhweb 22 February 2019, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

So, how to detect the culprit.... it's like looking for the famous needle in the haystack...
The pattern of red/amber squares in the matrix left column may offer a clue at to the direction from which the interference is coming. If it's potentially from inside the house, try turning other wireless equipment off when the interference strikes.
Badge
I have some ambient noise with some of my speakers as well......... I chalk it up to a hue light shining down on one of them.......and with respect to the other....... the wife has two metal decorative birds beside one speaker....... when I move them away, the ambient noise around that speaker instantly improves.

I think your instability revolves around the internal boxes the matrix. In your initial Matrix you had tow Orange Connections
Boost to David
Boost to S + C bedroom

Boost to David is no longer Orange as it seems that David is connecting to Attic now in some capacity.

Boost to S+C is really the only unstable connection you have left.

I have been told that even one bad connection can make the entire system to be unstable........... and I think that's what is happening here. Your devices in the office are all Solid Green Connections............ things just get weaker as you leave that room.

I am sticking by my guns by saying that you could substantially improve your overall connections with all your players by having an access point upstairs......... and potentially one in your living room. Like I said previously........ I use ORBI........ it seems to work great. I don't know much about all of the different options........... I have heard eeros is the best but the price tag is quite high.

Stanley_4 wrote:

Might play with swapping SonosNet channels to see if any of the three are better, 1, 6 or 11 are available.

Going to a different vendor's mesh WiFi for Sonos use would require you to remove the Ethernet from all your Sonos components to take them out of Boost mode and return them to Standard mode. You also open a can of worms with Sonos and the mesh vendor's compatibility, something I've read about here but avoided like the plague myself. Trying to run Boost and Standard is an even bigger can of worms.

This I whole heartedly disagree with. I am 100 % in Sonosnet (or Boost Mode) as I have a device plugged into each of my Orbi satellites. The devices plugged into these satellites basically act as the equivalent of a Boost in all of those locations...... and will communicate with just the speakers closest to it....... making those connections stronger.

I don't know if ORBI is a little different as it's apparently not considered a "true" mesh system........but I can attest it woks great and does exactly what it needs to do.

Personally.........I would try out an Orbi or something similar to see if that helps.......... I am almost certain it will. You can always take it back if it doesn't work.........

You could also change SonosNet to channel 1 and your regular wifi to channel 11 to see if that helps out.

Another option would be to bring down the S+C Bedroom speaker to the main floor and see how that impacts your matrix.

I would not wait for SONOS to get back to you........ I would give them a call on the telephone. They are super helpful and will spend a great deal of time with you. They can see quite a bit of what is going on in your system.

I love your tenacity with this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Looking at your WiFi analyzer I can't tell but does it only display WiFi signals that are broadcasting an SSID? That always frustrates me as folks use theirs and don't see my SonosNet and think the channel is clear.

Another issue is showing RF noise levels, ones from non-WiFi signals, none of the apps I've tried do that. I ended up going with a Ubiquity AP and CloudKey so I could get a better look at my RF environment.

Shutting off your own devices, even ones without radios is a good first step. Sneaking over to the neighbors and flipping their master breaker does work but isn't a nice thing to do. 🙂
Badge +1
I have some ambient noise with some of my speakers as well......... I chalk it up to a hue light shining down on one of them.......and with respect to the other....... the wife has two metal decorative birds beside one speaker....... when I move them away, the ambient noise around that speaker instantly improves.

I think your instability revolves around the internal boxes the matrix. In your initial Matrix you had tow Orange Connections
Boost to David
Boost to S + C bedroom

Boost to David is no longer Orange as it seems that David is connecting to Attic now in some capacity.

Boost to S+C is really the only unstable connection you have left.

I have been told that even one bad connection can make the entire system to be unstable........... and I think that's what is happening here. Your devices in the office are all Solid Green Connections............ things just get weaker as you leave that room.

I am sticking by my guns by saying that you could substantially improve your overall connections with all your players by having an access point upstairs......... and potentially one in your living room. Like I said previously........ I use ORBI........ it seems to work great. I don't know much about all of the different options........... I have heard eeros is the best but the price tag is quite high.

Stanley_4 wrote:

Might play with swapping SonosNet channels to see if any of the three are better, 1, 6 or 11 are available.

Going to a different vendor's mesh WiFi for Sonos use would require you to remove the Ethernet from all your Sonos components to take them out of Boost mode and return them to Standard mode. You also open a can of worms with Sonos and the mesh vendor's compatibility, something I've read about here but avoided like the plague myself. Trying to run Boost and Standard is an even bigger can of worms.

This I whole heartedly disagree with. I am 100 % in Sonosnet (or Boost Mode) as I have a device plugged into each of my Orbi satellites. The devices plugged into these satellites basically act as the equivalent of a Boost in all of those locations...... and will communicate with just the speakers closest to it....... making those connections stronger.

I don't know if ORBI is a little different as it's apparently not considered a "true" mesh system........but I can attest it woks great and does exactly what it needs to do.

Personally.........I would try out an Orbi or something similar to see if that helps.......... I am almost certain it will. You can always take it back if it doesn't work.........

You could also change SonosNet to channel 1 and your regular wifi to channel 11 to see if that helps out.

Another option would be to bring down the S+C Bedroom speaker to the main floor and see how that impacts your matrix.

I would not wait for SONOS to get back to you........ I would give them a call on the telephone. They are super helpful and will spend a great deal of time with you. They can see quite a bit of what is going on in your system.

I love your tenacity with this.

And I love forums where people really want to help :-)

I've been in touch with Sonos, but it wasn't all that helpful. They adviced me to look at this article:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2118?language=en

I have now enabled STP on my 3 Cisco-switches with 'special' settings on port 7 where my only wired device, the Boost, is connected. I have no knowledge about STP, and the menu options are not EXACTLY the same on my switch as on the web site. I have done this after best effort.

They told me to enable STP before they'd look more into it. Now I'm waiting for them to reply.
Badge +1
Looking at your WiFi analyzer I can't tell but does it only display WiFi signals that are broadcasting an SSID? That always frustrates me as folks use theirs and don't see my SonosNet and think the channel is clear.

Another issue is showing RF noise levels, ones from non-WiFi signals, none of the apps I've tried do that. I ended up going with a Ubiquity AP and CloudKey so I could get a better look at my RF environment.

Shutting off your own devices, even ones without radios is a good first step. Sneaking over to the neighbors and flipping their master breaker does work but isn't a nice thing to do. :-)

I'll try to shut off devices the next time I run into issues. I'll keep you posted, thanks.
Badge +1
The trouble about calling Sonos, which I did Monday, is that they're just open when I am at work. Taking time off work to call Sonos may not be the best thing to do. I guess this is different from country to country, but here in Norway they're just open between 8 and 16.

By the way, I got an answer from Verisure, the alarm company. They said their components communicate on the 868mhz frequency and should not interfere with Wifi-signals unless they're closer than 0,5 meters from the alarm units. So, good to know.
Badge +1
So, is there any Sonos technician that can assist me here? I don't seem to get anywhere with the Norwegian support. None of their advice has helped anything at all. Now Sonos is close to unusable and Sonos equipment for a value of several thousand dollars is left unused... 😠
Badge +1
Hi again folks! So, I have an update to make. It's taken me a while, but I wanted to make sure Sonos actually works before posting, otherwise it would be 'fake news' :D

It seems like my Sonos is working fine now, and it has been for several weeks.

I've noticed that it mostly has been my Play:5 speakers (gen 1) that have been troublesome. I guess 90% of my problems has been related to the Play:5. So, I've concluded that these have an old fashioned crappy Wifi-card.

I've made two changes to the network:

1. Configured STP on my switches after Sonos' advice (I really don't know whether this helped or not)
2. I wired the play:5-speakers. I have a cable from my switch into the left Play:5, and then I've daisy chained the right play:5, and then again daisy chained the Sub from the right Play:5. This seems to have made all the difference!

Wee, my Sonos is working again.