Answered

Unstable connection since S2

• 13 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi, 

I recently moved from using the old Bridge to using S2. Since then the connection has been unstable for most of my Sonos speakers; it either doesn’t play, or keeps stopping. 

We use a mesh wifi system in the house, and we also have issues with Alexa connectivity now. Its intermittent, although she says she is doing something it doesn’t actually happen that often. 

I would much appreciate a solution to the above, and understand we will have to work through a number of diagnostics first. I’ve ruled out as much as possible within my knowledge base. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 January 2021, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

As you are using a wireless home mesh network system with more than one WiFi access point/hub, I would personally recommend that you perhaps switch your Sonos system back to running on SonosNet by wiring just one standalone Sonos device to the mesh primary hub only… do not wire Sonos products to the satellite hubs.

Also ensure that the wired standalone Sonos device (Speaker or Boost etc.) is not set too close to the primary hub/router… ensure it is at least 3 to 4 feet away from it.

If the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi bands are separate in the mesh setup, then try fixing the 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to a non-overlapping channel, like channel 1, 6 or 11 for example and set the channel-width to 20MHz. If the two WiFi bands are combined, then try to discover which channels the hubs are using (network scanner software/Apps can sometimes assist with discovering channels in use nearby).

In the Sonos App set the SonosNet channel in ‘Settings/System/Network’ so that it is at least 5 channels away from the local 2.4Ghz WiFi channel. So if the primary router is using WiFi channel 6, for example, then set SonosNet to use either channel 1 or 11.

Finally, when all Sonos devices are up and running on the SonosNet signal goto ‘Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup’ in the Sonos App and remove/reset the WiFi credentials as these are not required with SonosNet and it will prevent your devices hopping between the SonosNet signal and the mesh WiFi signal.

Thank you for your excellent reply. Unfortunately we don’t require any of our speakers in the room where the router / switches are. Is there another Sonos product that we can buy to wire in, similar to the original Bridge? 

Thank you for your excellent reply. Unfortunately we don’t require any of our speakers in the room where the router / switches are. Is there another Sonos product that we can buy to wire in, similar to the original Bridge? 

If you do not require a speaker in the room, then there is the Sonos Boost, which is what replaced their Bridge. See here for more information:

https://www.sonos.com/support/en-us/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fboost%2Fboost.htm

Here is a further link too:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/boost.html

Thank you once again @Ken_Griffiths 

It seems that I can buy another used Sonos speaker (to go in the room where the router is) for the price of a new Sonos Boost. Do you know if there is much difference between the signal that is sent from a speaker vs the Boost? 

I’ve just read online a few others opinions to answer my question (ensure the speaker is 3ft away etc, otherwise the transmission is similar)

I’ve just read online a few others opinions to answer my question (ensure the speaker is 3ft away etc, otherwise the transmission is similar)

Yes, I believe a speaker will do the same thing as the Boost - best to keep ‘either one’  away from the router, or other wireless beacons to prevent interference - the further away, the better.

I have put my Boost a good 6 feet away from my router.

Thank you. Can you help me access the Network matrix, or find a way to choose what channel the speakers are on? 

The SonosNet Channel is shown in "Settings/System/Network” in the Sonos App.

The lical WiFi channels in use will usually be shown in the configuration pages (or App) of your mesh WiFi system. Perhaps check the user-manual to see how to view those settings.

HTH