Answered

Unplugged speaker doesn't reconnect

• 7 June 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
I have had Sonos for a few years. In prior years I;d regularly unplug a PLAY 1 and bring it outside on my balcony and plug it in there. I'd wait 1 or 2 minutes and then I could join it to the group of other Sonos speakers. But this year that is not working. I can see the speaker and join it to the group but I get no sound. I can program it to play other sources but not the one the other group is playing. I have yet to try other scenarios but when that has happened repeatedly is when I want to hear my TV via the Sonos sounder on this outdoor speaker. I have to guess this is a bug introduced in a recent software update. Any info or work-around is appreciated. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 26 June 2018, 19:57

yes, my Balcony/Office speaker is "not available" if I am using a controller in the extended network area. All other speakers are. I can control it from the same wifi network that the boost is connected to but not from the extended area.

It sounds like your extended network isn't forwarding all of the traffic. If your extender is set up to use its own DHCP server, it will separate your network into 2 subnets. Sonos components can't communicate from one subnet to another. You may be able to set up the extender into bridge mode, which would make its wireless name, channel and password match your main network. Also, with DHCP disabled it should allow your controller to communicate with your speakers.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have had Sonos for a few years. In prior years I;d regularly unplug a PLAY 1 and bring it outside on my balcony and plug it in there. I'd wait 1 or 2 minutes and then I could join it to the group of other Sonos speakers. But this year that is not working. I can see the speaker and join it to the group but I get no sound. I can program it to play other sources but not the one the other group is playing. I have yet to try other scenarios but when that has happened repeatedly is when I want to hear my TV via the Sonos sounder on this outdoor speaker. I have to guess this is a bug introduced in a recent software update. Any info or work-around is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi phillNYC,

Can you set your PLAY:1 up in this way, then send a diagnostic report while it is in the group and not outputting audio? Reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
Badge
While not exactly as I described I have 5 speakers grouped yet only one has sound coming out (Balcony) 650687419
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
While not exactly as I described I have 5 speakers grouped yet only one has sound coming out (Balcony) 650687419

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. I see that your Balcony/Office unit is still connecting to your wireless network, instead of communicating with the rest of your Sonos system over the mesh signal. This can make it quite hard for the Sonos system to stay in synch when playing music. Please head into the settings menu of the Sonos app and choose advanced settings. Then, choose to reset the wireless credentials. This should make it so that your Balcony/Office unit can't connect to your wireless network, and connects to your Sonos mesh instead. You may have to go through the setup to add a player if the Balcony/Office unit doesn't reconnect on its own. If this unit is too far away from another Sonos unit, it may not connect. Try moving one of your other speakers closer to the balcony and see if that helps.

Also, it looks like there's a bit of wireless interference causing some issues with the signal between your BOOST and some of your other speakers. Please try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system and see if it helps.

If you're still having issues after these steps, send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Badge
sorry, I didn't see this setting. "Then, choose to reset the wireless credentials.
"
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
sorry, I didn't see this setting. "Then, choose to reset the wireless credentials.
"

It looks like you're using the OS X controller. Here are the instructions for reseting the wireless credentials: Open the Sonos controller app for Mac and click Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the wireless setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". then click "Done" on the next screen.
Badge
yikes! I feel stupid. There does not seem to be aa REST button, it merely asked from the WiFi name and PW. I submitted more diagnostics 1378423852. I see from an iPad in a room that has a wifi extended (diff wifi name) that the balcony speaker is not showing up. Do I need a factory reset? how do I do that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
yikes! I feel stupid. There does not seem to be aa REST button, it merely asked from the WiFi name and PW. I submitted more diagnostics 1378423852. I see from an iPad in a room that has a wifi extended (diff wifi name) that the balcony speaker is not showing up. Do I need a factory reset? how do I do that?

In your latest diagnostic report I see that all of your Sonos units are communicating on the Sonos mesh, so you may not need to reset the wireless settings in the app. Are you still having issues playing the right audio on all of your speakers?
Badge
yes, my Balcony/Office speaker is "not available" if I am using a controller in the extended network area. All other speakers are. I can control it from the same wifi network that the boost is connected to but not from the extended area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It sounds like your extended network isn't forwarding all of the traffic. If your extender is set up to use its own DHCP server, it will separate your network into 2 subnets. Sonos components can't communicate from one subnet to another. You may be able to set up the extender into bridge mode, which would make its wireless name, channel and password match your main network. Also, with DHCP disabled it should allow your controller to communicate with your speakers.