Unable to use Sonos app on Android after latest update

• 17 August 2020
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is what I'm greeted with every time I try to use the Sonos app. I'm currently on Android app version 12.0.4. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 12.0.3 which worked fine before this update but I'm having the same issues with that. I've completely reset all my speakers and set them up again this time using an iPhone.

Everything works fine from the iPhone app.

I have a 5.1 setup, 2 Ones, a sub and an arc. Turning the arc off and back on again allows me in as far as the main Sonos app screen but if I try to select any sound source e.g. Sonos Radio, TV etc. the app force closes and I am greeted with the 'Sonos keeps stopping' window every time I try to open it.

This has made my almost €2000 setup impossible to use/control. Very disappointed.

I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro on Android version 10.

I feel like I've tried everything and only an update to the so Sonos app might fix this but any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on for close to a week now. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having the same issue of the app crashing. I have tried all the suggested things above as well as contacted Microsoft to get a solution to the problem. Microsoft told me to reset my Wi-Fi network uninstall the app reset my phone and then reinstall the app and then log into the network. This also did not work. I'm also using Android 10 with no beta versions. I have a new Microsoft Surface Duo and the app has not worked since I purchased the phone. It is the only app on the device that does not function 

I would reach out to Sonos tech support directly. They may want you to perform a debug on the app and send them the file. They’ll prioritize it in their backlog accordingly. 

I am having the same issue of the app crashing. I have tried all the suggested things above as well as contacted Microsoft to get a solution to the problem. Microsoft told me to reset my Wi-Fi network uninstall the app reset my phone and then reinstall the app and then log into the network. This also did not work. I'm also using Android 10 with no beta versions. I have a new Microsoft Surface Duo and the app has not worked since I purchased the phone. It is the only app on the device that does not function 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just updated to version 12.0.6 of the Sonos app, this was published in the Google play store today. This has fixed my issue with my One+8 Pro where Sonos was crashing every time I opened it.

I might also mention now that I’ve been using the 12.0.6 version app for a bit, performance improvements (for me anyway) seem to be in place. Some of the lagginess that we were seeing in app really seem to have improved. I’ll keep an eye on it. The other issue I’m looking to be fixed is the alarm functionality. I’ll check on that too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just updated to version 12.0.6 of the Sonos app, this was published in the Google play store today. This has fixed my issue with my One+8 Pro where Sonos was crashing every time I opened it.

Same problem here (immediate crash when opening the app). But I managed to fix it with this: I put a widget of the sonos s2 app on my startscreen and voila, no more crashes, a smoother way to work the app and suddenly the app appears in the drop-down menu! Plus I didn't need to shut off my notifications.

My setup: OnePlus 8 pro, sonos one sl, playbar, sub gen 3.

Hi all, @Kyle A @Feesh @ConOne 

I received wonderful news from Tim W. at “Sonos Customer Care” today about a valid workaround for the OnePlus 8 PRO on Android 10.5.12.IN11BA

Just turn of the notifications for the Sonos App:

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Sonos ->Notifications -> Show Notifications -> Off 

This works for me :)

Hoping to receive a definite fix soon….

Kind regards,

Yves

That worked for me for now with the oneplus8 pro.  Thanks

I can also confirm that it works. I dont want notifications from Sonos app anyways 😂👍🏼

Hi all, @Kyle A @Feesh @ConOne 

I received wonderful news from Tim W. at “Sonos Customer Care” today about a valid workaround for the OnePlus 8 PRO on Android 10.5.12.IN11BA

Settings -> Apps & Notifications -> Sonos ->Notifications -> Show Notifications -> Off 

Kind regards,

Yves

That worked for me for now with the oneplus8 pro.  Thanks

Hi Kyle,

Diagnostics send on my working Sonos controller on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e: 48160312

Also Android 10, One UI 2.1, security patch 1st June.

On my OnePlus 8 Pro the controller app crashes at opening, immediately crashes and sometimes I've got the menu as mentioned in the start screen, where you can close the app or send feedback to Google.

Version of Android: 10 - oxygen os 10.5.12.IN11BA

Thanks for the reply,

Kind regards,

Yves

I have same issue on oneplus8 pro

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Android platform fragmentation. Love it.

Badge

I've done the same and am happy to report that it's also working for me. 

Thanks for sharing the news, @Petsky 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for the update @Petsky , that's great news!

If I run into this issue again I'll give it a try, hopefully that works for everyone until they can roll out a fix.

Userlevel 1

Hi all, @Kyle A @Feesh @ConOne 

Kind regards,

Yves

Having the same issue as everyone here.

After the update to new S2 App on oneplus 8 pro I cannot use my Sonos system anymore.  Sonos app crashes as soon as it is opened. 

Sono’s please fix this issue ASAP.  Obviously everyone that ha sthe Oneplus pro is having the same issue.  My home music streaming system that I paid so much money to setup is useless without the app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @emoto and @JensB-C, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

We understand the frustration and since we’re clearly seeing a trend with the OnePlus OS update.

I would recommend calling our Phone Support. The issue warrants an investigation.

They’ll have other means to get the crash logs and escalate to our engineers as well.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Im experiencing the same problem with Sonos S2 app crashing immidiately on OnePlus 8 Pro with newest official update.

My Sonos system is 1 Arc, 2 IKEA Symfonisk and 3 Play:1.

Havent been able to use my system for around 2 weeks. Around when i connected my new Arc the app died and havent worked since.

Arc has been a total waste of money so far because of this :(

I’m having the same issue with the S2 app on my android phone.  I was running the S2 app with my Sonos system fine all summer, but I noticed yesterday that the S2 app crashes immediately every time after I open the Sonos S2 app, unless WiFi is turned off.  After I open the S2 app and then turn on WiFi again it asks me to login, and then it crashes immediately.  I have no way to pull logs since the app crashes immediately.  I have cleared the app cache and user data, and uninstalled/reinstalled after rebooting the phone.  The app still crashes. I see several other users reporting the crashing app in recent Google Play store reviews for the S2 app giving it the lowest rating possible.

I’m running Sonos S2 app version 12.0.5 on a OnePlus 6T that I got from T-mobile.  It is on the latest standard OTA software update from Tmobile/Oneplus:  Android version 10.  Oxygen OS version 10.3.5, build number ONEPLUSA6013_34_200803 with Android security update for August 1, 2020.

My home system that I can no longer access is 1 Sonos Beam with 4 Play:1’s.  I’ve been a long time happy Sonos owner, but now I’m feeling frustrated and helpless to be at the mercy of this crashing app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

I checked the diagnostic, the Arc was receiving PCM from the TV when you took the diagnostic.

The TV could have refreshed when the Atmos return; I would recommend monitoring this.

Have you contacted our Phone support to send out a Bug report for the App crashes?

If so, thank you, this will help our engineers fix the software conflict.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I managed to get the Sonos app working by completely wiping my phone and returning to Stock Oxygen OS version 10.3.4.GM21AA. 

I've had no issues over the last 3 days.

Good to know, you and RTJ3 have found work-arounds. I’m going to let the Sonos team try and work it out since I’ve sent the bug report in and I’ve got and old mobile that I carry around the house as my Sonos phone in addition to my normal mobile and work mobile. My wife thinks I’m crazy.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I managed to get the Sonos app working by completely wiping my phone and returning to Stock Oxygen OS version 10.3.4.GM21AA. 

I've had no issues over the last 3 days.

Same issues here on a standard One Plus 8. As soon as I open the app it shuts down. Installed Sonos S2 on my girlfriends iPhone and it’s working fine.

I’ve tried reinstalling to no avail. However, it does seem to stay open if I turn wifi off first, open the app then turn wifi back on. 

I’m on Sonos S2 version 12.0.5 and Oxygen OS build 10.5.10.IN21BA.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I did speak with support today on this and opened a case “ref:_00D1N2JMtd._5002KpHCg3:ref “. They didn’t promise a timeline since this was a “new” issue and needs to be researched. 

Oxygen OS 10.5.13.IN11AA on One+ 8 Pro - Sonos S2 keeps crashing after I installed the OS update. Like many of the threads above I get the message that “Sonos keeps stopping” when I try and open it. I’ve uninstalled S2, shut down the phone, started the phone, reinstalled Sonos S2 and the behavior continues. I know for a fact that this issue is related to the latest Oxygen release as my wife can still use Sonos on her old Galaxy without an issue. 

I did get a request today from Jaymes in support, he asked that I send them a “crash log” from my phone. That’s been sent and they’ve been provided the link to that log.

Badge

Not sure if this is related:

Just updated Android app and Sonos firmware across my Sonos devices and it's worse now! 

App still crashes, but now I can't get Atmos from any source (native Samsung Netflix app, which delivered awesome Atmos; Disney+ via my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, which also gave great Atmos). 

It seems the new update has fixed nothing and killed my Atmos! 

Any help would be appreciated!

Submitted fresh diagnostics, in case that helps (512427199)

And, suddenly, Atmos has returned, without any further intervention from me. 

I'm baffled. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I did speak with support today on this and opened a case “ref:_00D1N2JMtd._5002KpHCg3:ref “. They didn’t promise a timeline since this was a “new” issue and needs to be researched. 

Oxygen OS 10.5.13.IN11AA on One+ 8 Pro - Sonos S2 keeps crashing after I installed the OS update. Like many of the threads above I get the message that “Sonos keeps stopping” when I try and open it. I’ve uninstalled S2, shut down the phone, started the phone, reinstalled Sonos S2 and the behavior continues. I know for a fact that this issue is related to the latest Oxygen release as my wife can still use Sonos on her old Galaxy without an issue. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for the update.

Yes of course, once the issue is reported and a case has been created.

Our engineers will look into it, as this can potentially impact other users with the same OS version.

We’ll just have to wait for them to roll out a patch. 

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

The community is here to help.