Unable to use Sonos app on Android after latest update

• 17 August 2020
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is what I'm greeted with every time I try to use the Sonos app. I'm currently on Android app version 12.0.4. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 12.0.3 which worked fine before this update but I'm having the same issues with that. I've completely reset all my speakers and set them up again this time using an iPhone.

Everything works fine from the iPhone app.

I have a 5.1 setup, 2 Ones, a sub and an arc. Turning the arc off and back on again allows me in as far as the main Sonos app screen but if I try to select any sound source e.g. Sonos Radio, TV etc. the app force closes and I am greeted with the 'Sonos keeps stopping' window every time I try to open it.

This has made my almost €2000 setup impossible to use/control. Very disappointed.

I'm using a OnePlus 7 Pro on Android version 10.

I feel like I've tried everything and only an update to the so Sonos app might fix this but any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on for close to a week now. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne, thank you for reaching out and getting our attention to this.

I would like you to uninstall the Sonos App from your phone then Restart the Phone (full shutdown is recommended).

Once it fully boots up, reinstall the Sonos App then test.

If it still persists, check the phone for any software updates.

Update us on how the suggested troubleshooting goes.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Kyle,

I gave that a go but I'm still having the exact same issues. I'm on the latest beta version for the OnePlus 7 Pro, however there were no software updates between when version 12.0.3 of the Sonos app was working and when it stopped working in version 12.0.4 so I don't think the phones software is causing any issues.

Sonos doesn’t support, and honestly, frequently doesn’t run, on Beta OS’s. Try installing an older, supported OS, and see if the app runs then. 

Userlevel 1

Same on Android 10, Sonos app keeps crashing on OnePlus 8 PRO. Uninstall several times - clean cash - clean memory, nothing seems to work. The app works on Android 10 Samsung tablet S5e.

Frustrating!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos doesn’t support, and honestly, frequently doesn’t run, on Beta OS’s. Try installing an older, supported OS, and see if the app runs then. 

I get you. I'd understand if I was on a beta version of Android that Sonos didn't support yet. This beta is for new software exclusive to OnePlus devices and shouldn't effect how apps run on the device. For the 3+ years I've owned Sonos products I've almost constantly been on a beta version of the OnePlus software and have never had any issues until this latest update to the Android app. The strange thing is that even going back to the previous version or the version before that results in the same problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same on Android 10, Sonos app keeps crashing on OnePlus 8 PRO. Uninstall several times - clean cash - clean memory, nothing seems to work. The app works on Android 10 Samsung tablet S5e.

Frustrating!

Are you using beta software on your OnePlus 8 pro? My brother has the same phone. He isn't on the OnePlus beta and can control his Playbar and Move with no issues.

I'm going to connect to my brother's speakers later and see if I have the same issues.

@ConOne : ‘This beta is for new software exclusive to OnePlus devices and shouldn't effect how apps run on the device.’

Evidently not so, as nobody with other brands seems to be experiencing this issue.  I think you should follow @Airgetlam ‘s advice and run a supported OS / firmware.  I wouldn’t expect Sonos to do anything about this.

Userlevel 1

Frustrating!

Are you using beta software on your OnePlus 8 pro? My brother has the same phone. He isn't on the OnePlus beta and can control his Playbar and Move with no issues.

I'm going to connect to my brother's speakers later and see if I have the same issues.

No BETA software on my OnePlus 8 PRO, just the latest official update of August.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Evidently not so, as nobody with other brands seems to be experiencing this issue.  I think you should follow @Airgetlam ‘s advice and run a supported OS / firmware.  I wouldn’t expect Sonos to do anything about this.

Sorry, I could have explained myself better. I’m using Android 10, which isn’t a beta version of android. The Sonos app targets different versions of Android, not specific software on different devices (e.g. it doesn’t target One UI on Samsung devices, or Oxygen OS on Oneplus devices. It targets Android 9, 10 etc). So really it should be working. I’d understand if I had recently updated to new OS software on my device but I haven’t. This only started after the last Sonos update on Android. Unfortunately as soon as I opened the app after updating it this started happening, and hasn’t worked since.

Userlevel 1
Badge

No BETA software on my OnePlus 8 PRO, just the latest official update of August.

Interesting. What products do you have connected to your app? Is it a similar setup to my own?

Another thing I should add is that I can scroll through different menu's in the app when I'm not connected to my system without it force closing, it's only when I'm on my home network connected to the speakers that it stops working.

Userlevel 1

Interesting. What products do you have connected to your app? Is it a similar setup to my own?

Another thing I should add is that I can scroll through different menu's in the app when I'm not connected to my system without it force closing, it's only when I'm on my home network connected to the speakers that it stops working.

Got BEAM + 2 One and another BEAM and a One.

I thought it was because of the old Sonos Connect I have; I removed it, but that’s not it. Still keeps crashing.
I can also go through menu in the app when on a different Wifi network.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I reset my app and connected to my brother's system (Playbar + Move). Everything worked as normal. Had no issues controlling anything and the Sonos app didn't force close. I've already reset all of my speakers so I guess I'm out of luck until the next update.

@Petsky let me know if you find any work around. Thanks for the replies, nice to know I'm not the only one have this issue!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne, thank you for the update and @Petsky, welcome to the community.

@ConOne, since you mentioned the iOS version of the Sonos app is working, please take a diagnostic from it and post the confirmation.

I would like to check the Sonos system. Also, when using the app did you try performing an action or when the browse section of the app loaded, it crashes?

We would like to know when the crash occurs. Also, what’s the exact android version of the phone.

@Petsky, can you get the exact android version you have and when does the crash occurs.

If you have another Sonos controller and it’s working, please take a diagnostic and post the confirmation here. 

To take a diagnostic in the App, Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic.

Userlevel 1

Hi Kyle,

Diagnostics send on my working Sonos controller on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e: 48160312

Also Android 10, One UI 2.1, security patch 1st June.

On my OnePlus 8 Pro the controller app crashes at opening, immediately crashes and sometimes I've got the menu as mentioned in the start screen, where you can close the app or send feedback to Google.

Version of Android: 10 - oxygen os 10.5.12.IN11BA

Thanks for the reply,

Kind regards,

Yves

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Kyle,

My brother's OnePlus 8 Pro works fine so I sent diagnostics from there: 1872918954

If I restart the Arc the app stays working until I select an audio source. So if I start playing a song through the Sonos app on Spotify, Sonos radio or select the TV audio it will start playing whatever I have selected but then immediately close the app. Every time I try to open the app after this it will stop working as soon as it opens until I restart the Arc again.

My brother's WORKING controller phone details:

Android version: 10

Build number: 10.5.11.IN11BA

My BROKEN controller phone details: 

Android version: 10

Build number: OP7Pro_02_BETA_17

@Kyle A Thanks for looking into this for us!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne and @Petsky, thank you for the update.

@Petsky, your version is different from the Oneplus 8 @ConOne’s brother. 

I checked the Sonos system, everything is running normally.

10.5.12.IN11BA and 10.5.11.IN11BA respectively. We might have an issue with 10.5.12 of the one plus Andriod. 

Let’s try what I suggested to @ConOne. Uninstall the Sonos app, shutdown and reboot the phone, reinstall the Sonos app, and test.

If it’s still crashing, I recommend calling our Phone support to create a case on it. 1 800 680 2345 Mondays to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

@ConOne, since you can move around in the app before it crashes. Could you attempt to take a diagnostic with the Oneplus 7?

It will have controller logs in the Diagnostic that I can check.

Sonos system is working fine as well in the diagnostic.

Update us with your findings.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Kyle A I was able to take a diagnostic from my OP7 Pro: 5287887

Hope that helps you out in some way! 

Regards,

Conor.

Userlevel 1

@Kyle A

Hi Kyle,

This was done: Uninstall the Sonos app, shutdown and reboot the phone, reinstall the Sonos app, and test.

But nothing changed: open Sonos Controller app and crash immediatly. After a second or third time I got the standard Android error screen as shown above.

As I am a Belgian resident, do you have a European Support call number please?

Found it… tel: 0800-64444

Kind regards,

Yves

Userlevel 1

Dear,

Just to inform you that today the Support asked for a BUG report of my OnePlus8PRO.
This was send by Email, because the Upload URL doesn’t seem to work :)

https://www.sonos.com/support/upload

Hoping for a quick solution…

Kind regards,

Yves

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ConOne and @Petsky, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

@Petsky, I’m glad you're getting support; once they find the bug you should have a solution.

For the Phone number; my apologies, I didn’t know you’re in Belgium.

@ConOne, controller logs are filled with error logs; we need our engineers to look into it.

I would recommend calling our Phone support to create a case for your issue.

Our Support Website should have the Phone number for your country. 

Badge

I'm also having the same problem as of last night. All was working well on my OnePlus 8 Pro, then suddenly the app started crashing on launch. Uninstalls, cache clears haven't resolved the issue.

No app or phone OS updates occurred between the app working fine and the app crashing constantly. 

Badge

Sorry for double post, but just made an interesting observation. 

If I open the app while connected to my WiFi, the app immediately crashes. 

If I turn off WiFi on my phone, open the app, then re-enable WiFi, the app stays open and works fine with my Sonos system.

I've submitted diagnostics from my android app, in case it's of any help (1299674877). 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I see that you’re also having crashes with the Sonos app; I’ll be more than happy to check the diagnostic for you. 

I would like to verify as well, if you have the same Operating System as @Petsky; please check your phone's OS version in the phone settings.

I checked the diagnostic, same scenario with @ConOne’s Controller logs; It’s filled with errors.

If you do have the same version as @Petsky, I would suggest calling Phone support to escalate the issue. We could have a conflict with the 10.5.12.IN11BA update from One Plus.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

Hi @Kyle A

Thanks for the quick response. I can confirm that I have the same phone OS version as @Petsky

Hopefully this can be resolved soon. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Feesh, thank you for the update.

Yes of course, once the issue is reported and a case has been created.

Our engineers will look into it, as this can potentially impact other users with the same OS version.

We’ll just have to wait for them to roll out a patch. 

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

The community is here to help.