Unable to update error 1013

• 19 October 2013
  • 30 replies

I'm getting an unable to update error-- sonos has trouble connecting to a component (1013). I have tried multiple times and restarted my router. This is happening on my iPhone and iPad.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi John, 

do you use a PC or Mac you could try to start the update from ? 

Have you rebooted your Sonos components already ? 

Also, try powering down all Sonos except for one and try updating that first. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
I have purchased a Sonos Bridge, Play 5 and Connect. Tried to hook them up for the first time today. Using a PC with Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit for the controller. Able to connect to the devices, but then it states that I need to update. Updating fails and gives the error 1013. I have tried resetting the controller multiple times. I have unplugged all combinations of two of the three components to try to do the update individually. I have recycled my modem, my router etc. I have tried with windows firewall off and on. All result in the same error and inability to use the system. Help! I have seen threads on this similar topic, but no answers.
I have submitted a diagnostic. confirmation number is: 3274241
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Vincent, 

here is what I need to ask you to do: 

1. Power of the BRIDGE 
2. Wire either the CONNECT or PLAY:5 directly to the router 
3. Try updating both units
4. Factory reset the BRIDGE by pressing the "connect" button when powering it back up until the LED flashes amber
5. Add the BRIDGE wirelessly to your existing and updated setup, once added update the BRIDGE
6. Power down all units, wire the BRIDGE back to the router and move the other units back to their locations. 

Please let me know if this works. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
I have had major 1013 issues every time there is a Sonos update. Unfortunately the system is made such that controllers cannot be used until the upgrades are installed, which is silly given that many updates are not critical (the last one related to a bug with Spotify - I don't care about that). Anyway, this suggested work-around worked for me, but it's obviously a major headache and not a couple of hours I look forward to spending every time there is a Sonos update. Is it not possible to diagnose the problem and fix it properly?
I have to admit I am very frustrated right now. I did exactly suggested above and got no progress. Couldn't even get the first component updated. 1013 for everything. I tried factory resetting all of the components and tried them with only 1 component connected. 1013. I tried using my desktop as the controller, I tried using my laptop as the controller, I tried using my iPad as the controller 1013, 1013, 1013. I don't understand how the controller can connect to the component and show it as listed, but not be able to communicate with it to update. Right now I just have several hundred dollars worth of paperweights.
Also, when trying to update, the controller MUST be communicating with he component to SOME degree, because when following the instructions in the controller and clicking "next" the lights on the component change signalling that something is happening, but it won't complete and... 1013
Same problem as Vincent - tried everything suggested - still no luck. This is turning a significant investment in Sonos into a bricked dead duck. It's completely unacceptable.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have had major 1013 issues every time there is a Sonos update. Unfortunately the system is made such that controllers cannot be used until the upgrades are installed, which is silly given that many updates are not critical (the last one related to a bug with Spotify - I don't care about that). Anyway, this suggested work-around worked for me, but it's obviously a major headache and not a couple of hours I look forward to spending every time there is a Sonos update. Is it not possible to diagnose the problem and fix it properly?
Hi Rolf, 

I will open an incident for you so one of our Senior Technicians can have a look at this with you and solve this once and for all. 

Please can you provide a diagnostics number after 20 minutes of trying to update and respond with the confirmation number? 

Regards, 

Daniel 
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Also, when trying to update, the controller MUST be communicating with he component to SOME degree, because when following the instructions in the controller and clicking "next" the lights on the component change signalling that something is happening, but it won't complete and... 1013
Hi Vincent, 

I have opened an incident with our Senior Technical Engineers who will be in contact with you shortly, your reference number is: 131209-001041. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Dennis, 

we have received your incident: 131208-000259 yesterday and it has been escalated to our Senior Engineers. 

You will be contacted via email shortly so we can schedule a telephone call to solve this issue. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
A 1013 error is reported whenever the controller software is unable to create the connection to one or more components that the controller uses to manage and monitor the update process. 

There are a number of conditions that can cause this type of failure.

A small sample of possible causes: 

- Software or hardware firewalls 
- Wireless interference on the 2.4GHz network 
- Network configuration problems (multiple routers/DHCP servers), replacing a router and not rebooting all of the network attached devices. 
- Wiring issues

The information in the diagnostics helps us determine the most likely cause of the error and will determine the particular troubleshooting approach we take in order to diagnose the error.
Because the root cause of the 1013 is varied, the troubleshooting approach may look significantly different for any two customers.

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Daniel,

Thanks. As mentioned the workaround worked for me, so I cannot reproduce the problem until the next Sonos update. 

The only other issue I have with my Sonos installation is that when I group my Play 3 and my Play 5 it doesn't work and the Play 5 is dropped from the Sonos system and no longer recognized. This happens if I group the Play 5 into the Play 3, but if I do it the other way around - ie group the Play 3 into playing the same as my Play 5, then it works fine. Could this possibly be related to the Sonos update error 1013 issue?

Regards,

Rolf
One issue that is apparent - error 1013 is a generic error message that could be related to any of the issues described above. This is really unhelpful as no-one - including tech support, really knows where to start. 
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Rolf, 

we would definitely like to have a look at this issue and the update errors.

Please can you submit a diagnostics within 20 minutes the PLAY:5 dropping and respond with your confirmation number?

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Badge +3
Error 1013 means the Controller lost connection to the Player mid-update and the download failed.  Because of platform and operating system differences between Controllers, the best steps towards resolving this condition vary depending on what you’re using:

PC / Mac

Check Your Firewall

Ensure your firewall is configured correctly according to this guide.  Overzealous firewalls are a common cause of error 1013 from a PC or Mac Controller; the firewall incorrectly blocks the connection between the Controller application and the Player on your home network.  The connection for updates uses port 4444.

If your firewall appears to be configured correctly and the update still fails, try either temporarily disabling the firewall or see below.

Try a Different Controller

For example, if you’ve only tried to start the update with your Mac, switch to the iPhone and see if you encounter the same error.  Oftentimes, whatever is causing the block between the Mac and the Player will not be present on another device.

iOS / Android

Ensure a Strong Wireless Signal is Present

Because your smartphone or tablet may use your home WiFi, ensure that you have a strong (full bar) signal before attempting to initiate the update, especially if you’ve experienced error 1013.  If the signal is weak, the connection could time out and fail.  If you're using an Android and experience weak signal in places, consider putting your phone or tablet on SonosNet.

Any Controller

Reduce Environmental Wireless Interference

An unstable wireless environment can cause the connection from the Controller to the Player to fail.  Ensure that your home router and Sonos aren’t sharing a channel (they’ll interfere with each other) and change your Sonos wireless channel to see if another channel works better in your home.  

Use a Single Controller

In same cases, updating with multiple Controllers at the same time can result in error 1013.  The system may update despite the error so check the version of your Players in the “About My Sonos System” screen. Generally, if you’re repeatedly seeing error 1013, this is not the cause.

If the Above Fails...

If you've tried the steps above, or none of them seem to apply, you've got a few options for the next steps.  Submitting a diagnostic after the error will upload a report from your system to Sonos which will give Sonos Customer Care detailed information about the system internals and what might be going wrong.  

Reply back to this topic or start a new one with the seven-digit confirmation number included in your post and we'll have a look for anything out of the ordinary that might not be covered above.

Edit: wording adjustment
Badge +3
One issue that is apparent - error 1013 is a generic error message that could be related to any of the issues described above. This is really unhelpful as no-one - including tech support, really knows where to start. 
Thanks for the feedback Dennis, we've updated the post to add some specific steps which can be used to resolve error 1013 issues.
Hi Daniel,

I've done so, with reference number 3292318. I first (successfully) grouped with Play5 as first choice and adding Play3. I then (unsuccessfully, as expected) tried to group with Play3 as the first choice and then adding Play5. So in the diagnostics I suppose you will be able to see both operations and hopefully see what goes wrong in the latter. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Rolf
I am having the same issues every time an update comes in. Usually rebooting one or all controllers solves the issues but this time nothing works. I have changed nothing in my network in ages and am extremely frustrated. I just submitted a diagnostic report, confirmation # is 3294786
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I am having the same issues every time an update comes in. Usually rebooting one or all controllers solves the issues but this time nothing works. I have changed nothing in my network in ages and am extremely frustrated. I just submitted a diagnostic report, confirmation # is 3294786
Hi Theodore, 

I just noticed your incident 131215-000661 with our Technical Support team and will escalate this to our Senior Technical Engineers for troubleshooting. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Why am I getting email notifications about this?
Daniel,

Did you receive the diagnostics submission and what are your findings please?

Regards,

Rolf
I took the system to a friends house (so on another network) to update it and then brought it back to my home network and it works.  I believe the issue is my Sonic Wall firewall and port 4444.  I am speaking to my network administrator to see if that port can be opened.  at a friends how

Thank you
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Rolf, 

we are currently reviewing your data with our Senior Engineers and I will contact you via email once I have an update for you. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
None of the above work I am highly technical and have reached the point of complete frustration with a solution that is supposed to be easy to use. I have tried multiple controllers, reseting to defaults, direct wiring into router for multiple components, etc…
Being a new customer this is not a good way to start then I find posts like:

http://diginomica.com/2013/12/08/sonos-customer-service-failure/

which leads me to believe this is a much more endemic issue, can somebody help?