Answered

Unable to setup new system on iMAC / MacBook

• 16 October 2018
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
First off, I am not a luddite. I was just informed that I cannot setup my new Sonos One on my computers, but rather must use a mobile device. Unfortunately, my eyesight makes that quite difficult. I have an old smartphone that I only use as a phone...and everything else online I do via my computers.

The support agent recommended that I reach out to the community to see if anyone knows where I might access to the old Mac app that did support installation of new systems. Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 16 October 2018, 11:01

I think you'd be better off asking a relative, friend or acquaintance to help by bringing their iOS or Android device to your home to run those admin tasks when required rather than trying to load old firmware/software which is inevitably going to cause more trouble than it's worth in the future
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 1
I am in the same boat. Don't understand why they took away the ability to setup via my iMac. Very frustrating. Any help getting old Controller back would be greatly appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think you'd be better off asking a relative, friend or acquaintance to help by bringing their iOS or Android device to your home to run those admin tasks when required rather than trying to load old firmware/software which is inevitably going to cause more trouble than it's worth in the future
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
iOS devices have various accessibility features to assist with eyesight differences. It might be worth exploring these on a friend's iPhone or iPad to see if they help you work around the loss of the configuration functionality in the desktop app. I assume that Android devices have similar features.

However, it will definitely be more awkward than using the desktop apps with the monitor resolution set to allow large text. I wonder if Sonos considered this use case when deciding to remove the configuration capabilities.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
They have done the numbers, very few customers have poor eyesight 😉
Userlevel 1
I am surprised at the lack of concern for not being able to set up a system on the device that you will use to control it. To me, this indicates one of two things...neither acceptable. 1) Sonos could not get the functionality to work in the update. 2) Their longterm strategy is to stop supporting computer-based control of their systems.

Thanks. I will be returning my Sonos One and pursuing another solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Disgruntled Dan

Here's a system you might consider...the Bose Sound Touch, click the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISODTzQNYzE

1. Hmmm..in the video although you can use Ethernet..Bose recommends Wi_Fi?
2. How often are you setting up/adding Sonos components?
3. Do you open your computer every time you want to play music or do your use a phone or tablet?
4. If your Wi-Fi is spotty can you switch to a boost setup using Ethernet connected to a speaker as with Sonos?
5. Oh...but you can use BT with the Bose (can't do that with Sonos)...just don't move too far away from.
6. Does the Bose give you access to over 20 streaming services (low end count)?
7. Does the Bose allow you to setup play lists and access the via a phone or tablet?
8. What about voice control not only with an integrated Amazon device but via a speaker (Sonos One or Beam and the upcoming Sonos Amp)?
9. Don't forget your laptop if you want to temporarily setup your Bose at a vacation house; hopefully it is a laptop and not a desktop (tower) setup?
10. Is the Bose system expandable to over 20 components like Sonos (and that's on the low side)?

Obviously, I'm being a bit (well maybe a lot) sarcastic in my analogy :8. My point is that you are correct...Sonos isn't the only game in town...there are other offerings (some quite good). I'm also sure I got some of the capabilities of the Bose system incorrect. However, for all of the real and/or perceived short comings of Sonos; IMO it still offers the best return on investment (ROI). Good luck to find what you need!

Cheers!
Userlevel 1
Thanks AjTrek1. I already have the Bose Sound Touch...great system! I was looking into Sonos exactly because, as you indicate, it does provide relatively good ROI. I am also looking for a solution that plays better with other components.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am in the same boat. Don't understand why they took away the ability to setup via my iMac. Very frustrating. Any help getting old Controller back would be greatly appreciated.

On Windows you can run System Restore to a date prior to the upgrade and on Mac access a date via Time Machine. No guarantee it will work and as Stuart_W said it may prove to be problematic in the future :8

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
On Windows you can run System Restore to a date prior to the upgrade and on Mac access a date via Time Machine. No guarantee it will work

It will not work. Sonos require you to use a modern phone to setup their system now. Using the old PC controller will not help once any of the components have taken 9.2
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
On Windows you can run System Restore to a date prior to the upgrade and on Mac access a date via Time Machine. No guarantee it will work

It will not work. Sonos require you to use a modern phone to setup their system now. Using the old PC controller will not help once any of the components have taken 9.2

@controlav...Thanks for verifying.
wow! I did not realize this new limitation of sonos. I got to pick out my christmas present and choose some sonos speakers. this is a new system for me and I now realize that i can't it up from the desktop application. what a total bummer. totally disappointed in my Christmas present. guess i'll have to return it. mobile app doesn't work for me, similar issues to previous Op. 😞 and i don't want to have to call someone every time I need to configure something. i prefer to be more self-reliant. Sonos gets a zero on accessibility. and if i could give a negative score i would because they didn't communicate this upfront, they made it sound like the desktp app was sufficient.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I really don't understand the Sonos decision here, they are actually leaving money on the table with customers such as this, as well as losing substantial customer goodwill.