Answered

Unable to send diagnostics but able to play radio

• 9 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Acquired some used ZonePlayers(ZP120, ZP90) from my neighbor and unable to manage them using the S1 app, because the software on the device is so old ( 14.5-40190c ).  Getting error 11 when trying to initiate SW update.  Can’t even send diagnostics, but, using the mini controller I am able to get the device to play ‘radio’ so that leads me to think the network connection is ok.

In any case, I’ve simplified the network setup and have the ZP directly connected to the cable modem, no wifi router in the middle, and still no luck.  Internal logs don’t really have much detail either…

[Thu Jan  1 00:11:58 1970] <diag:topology,1> Unable to submit diagnostics. Response from server: none[Thu Jan  1 00:12:03 1970] <diag:topology,1> Unable to submit diagnostics. Response from server: none[Thu Jan  1 00:26:50 1970] <diag:topology,1> Unable to submit diagnostics. Response from server: none

I’m a bit concerned that the device can’t seem to reach NTP either.  Talked to the chat support but they weren’t able to help yet… advised me to call into the phone support on Monday to continue troubleshooting.

Before then, just thought I would reach out to see if anyone experienced anything similar.

Thanks,

Roy

icon

Best answer by ratty 9 January 2021, 12:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I think that the phone rep will have to create a special update file for those devices to properly update, which will likely require some back and forth , but the current software version should be 11.2.4, and not 14.5. 

I also have to wonder if you may be running some sort of firewall on the router/modem, which could be blocking the device from reaching Sonos’ own servers, where both the software updates and diagnostics are located, while allowing the speakers to reach non Sonos endpoints such as various music streams. 

Unless the cable modem has a DHCP server built in, I’m not sure how a direct connection would work, as the ZP requires an IP address to work, normally handed out by a DHCP device. But then i could be wrong, and one of the more knowledgeable networking folks may be along to correct me. 

There has to be a router. Maybe it's a modem / router not a pure modem.  In fact it must be if ZP is connected directly to it. Do you mean it's connected by Ethernet?

Where has the 1970 date come from?  Something needs the date and time setting, although may not make a difference.

Like Bruce, I am baffled by the reference to v14.5.

Error 11 is because the firmware is too old to self-update.

The lead digits (14.5) on the build number are an internal version number. 

The 1970 timestamp on the anacapa log (still accessible back in those days) is normal. There was always an offset. 

@royhicks

To get the ZPs updated will possibly require a telnet session, via remote access through your computer. Alternatively it may be possible to flag your account for an intermediate version that the ZPs can update to, then reflag it for the current S1 version.

It could well require attention from someone higher up than front line support, but I guess you’ll have to start there. Tip: resist all entreaties to “troubleshoot”...

After looking again, the SW version is indeed 11.2.4 and the 14.5 is the build.  The “modem” from the ISP is also a modem/router, which DHCP, FW, etc, although the FW does seem wide open.

It is hard to resist the urge to troubleshoot :grinning: , but I’ll try to wait until I call them on on Monday.  Will post outcome afterwards.

Thanks for all the advice.

Roy

The controller is at version 11.2.4.

The firmware build is 14.5-xxxxx, which is years out of date and is therefore unable to update itself.

No troubleshooting required. The ZPs need external assistance.

After troubleshooting with 2nd level support on Monday, and with an engineer tonight, everything is now updated to the latest SW  

Also found out that sending the diagnostics was never going to work based on the particular SW version that these devices were running and that it had nothing do do with my router/network.  

Engineer essentially unlocked the devices and then manually connected to the CLI of each device and initiated the upgrades, to get the devices to a point where they were able to finish the remaining upgrades on their own.

Time to start playing around with these and see what they can do :)