Answered

Unable to see products via Sonos App on iOS 16

• 16 September 2022
  • 22 replies

Hi,

I recently lost all my products off the Sonos app. I have followed the instructions to reset the router, Wi-Fi and turn off all the products but it doesn’t seem to help.

I also noticed that our iPhone that is still on iOS15 can still see them via the app.. but my iPad and iPhone on iOS 16 doesn’t.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 September 2022, 11:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

I’m running iOS/iPadO6 16.4 on 5 devices here on a different network setup (non-Google) - and not seeing a device discovery issue, perhaps it’s a compatibility issue between your network and your iPhone mobile, maybe something is awry with your mobile, or something is running on your mobile that’s intermittently interfering with the multicast discovery. I’m not seeing lots of people complaining about it since iOS 16.4 was released, but have seen lots of complaints about Google WiFi in the past… maybe try your original router WiFi instead and switch off the Google router/satellites and see if the issue goes away.

The fact the Wife’s iPhone is working okay now makes me wonder if it’s your actual iPhone 14 that maybe has an issue. Trying a different WiFi network might help you with troubleshooting the matter.

Ugh, not to keep going on this but --- then why would the Sonos app work on the macbook pro (not connected to ethernet, on the same wifi network) but the Sonos app on the iphone 14 pro will not work.

And on my wife’s iphone 13 running the newest iOS.

Doesn’t make sense that it is a mesh network issue if the laptop works fine on the same mesh network?

Asking because this is an issue we can see across the forum for Sonos users with the latest iOS software.

Ken - amazing how active you are and appreciate your response.

Hard for it to be a local area network issue if the desktop app (on my laptop) is using the same wifi network right? To be more clear, my MacBook Pro is using the Sonos app, signed in, finding and controlling my network just fine, using my home wifi network, which is the same one that I am on with my iphone 14 pro where the sonos app can’t find my system.

Using Google wifi mesh network (5 wifi points) across a big old house.

I have a Sonos Move that I can’t even enjoy because I can’t get in on the network and afraid to scrap everything and plug an unused Sonos One directly into the router in the basement and move over to SonosNet bc the devices are spread across a couple floors.

Yes Google Nest WiFi mesh are problematic with multicast packets, as documented in many other threads here in the community. Also mentioned briefly by Sonos Staff in this old thread…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

Ken - amazing how active you are and appreciate your response.

Hard for it to be a local area network issue if the desktop app (on my laptop) is using the same wifi network right? To be more clear, my MacBook Pro is using the Sonos app, signed in, finding and controlling my network just fine, using my home wifi network, which is the same one that I am on with my iphone 14 pro where the sonos app can’t find my system.

Using Google wifi mesh network (5 wifi points) across a big old house.

I have a Sonos Move that I can’t even enjoy because I can’t get in on the network and afraid to scrap everything and plug an unused Sonos One directly into the router in the basement and move over to SonosNet bc the devices are spread across a couple floors.

Sonos 2 App on iphone 14 with ios 16 cannot find my sonos system. I have read all this good information about location services and network connections, VPN -- but come, something is clearly up with the Sonos iOS app that used to work so well before.

Took the time to download the desktop version of the Sonos 2 app, and everything shows up, Playbar, Five, Connect so it’s not the network, it’s not the devices, I don’t have a VPN, it’s the iOS app that cannot connect.

We have to turn wifi calling off to get it to work, or guess about unrelated settings that might interfere? This is so ridiculous -- and shouldn’t be this hard. I’ve spent four Saturdays trying different things to fix this. Magically once it worked, then a week later when I returned from a trip - boom the iOS app doesn’t work anymore.

Love how engaged this community is to try and help. Happy to hear other strange things people have tried to get it to work.

Thanks

It’s far more likely going to be a local network issue.

The Sonos controller App uses SSDP to initially discover the Sonos players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

Something is likely interfering with the multicast discovery of your devices  - if it’s working for all other Sonos controller devices, then it’s possibly something on the phone controller itself, but as your phone is portable and moves around the Home, then it also might be an intermittent multicast issue between network segments - that includes if you have multiple WiFi access points, or mesh hubs, (rather than one central WiFi router) that are perhaps each operating on different WiFi channels and/or have different channel-widths. So I would perhaps explore those things to begin with. I would particularly check the router settings and see if there are any firmware updates for your local router, or access points.

Sonos 2 App on iphone 14 with ios 16 cannot find my sonos system. I have read all this good information about location services and network connections, VPN -- but come, something is clearly up with the Sonos iOS app that used to work so well before.

Took the time to download the desktop version of the Sonos 2 app, and everything shows up, Playbar, Five, Connect so it’s not the network, it’s not the devices, I don’t have a VPN, it’s the iOS app that cannot connect.

We have to turn wifi calling off to get it to work, or guess about unrelated settings that might interfere? This is so ridiculous -- and shouldn’t be this hard. I’ve spent four Saturdays trying different things to fix this. Magically once it worked, then a week later when I returned from a trip - boom the iOS app doesn’t work anymore.

Love how engaged this community is to try and help. Happy to hear other strange things people have tried to get it to work.

Thanks

Duplicated from this thread: 

Hi all

After using Sonos and Spotify for 4+ years my Spotify app can no longer see Sonos speakers.  Soundcloud app can’t see them either. 

somos app sees them fine and can play Spotify from its app but not vice versa 

Spotify can see the Google nest and Samsung TV.  I’ve tried de linking and registering.  Power cycling. Apps have access to local networks 

When I got my new phone on iOS 16, it turned off all of my local network settings in the Sonos app, I fixed it with customer supports help. Go into settings scroll down to the Sonos app open it up and turn on anything that is turned off, particularly local Network. As soon as I did that it immediately started working.

I have 3 devices with IOS 16.1.2 and the S2 app. None of them can connect to my Sonos Five. Other two devices with IOS 15.x can.
No reboot of devices, Sonos Five or other procedures did work.
Any suggestion?

Mirko

Perhaps see if switching off ‘Private WiFi Address’ in their current network connection properties page will resolve the issue for you. See attached. I would also disable ‘WiFi Calling’ too.. if still no joy, then maybe reset their network settings in iOS and setup the WiFi connection again to the local network.

Switching off “Private WiFi Address” solved the problem. Thank you Ken!

It should t be that difficult to connect my Bose works fine. I’ve tried to Sonos units. Currently the Move and can’t get my app to find them after I’ve connected them to Wi-Fi.  Also can’t get blue tooth to work either 

I have 3 devices with IOS 16.1.2 and the S2 app. None of them can connect to my Sonos Five. Other two devices with IOS 15.x can.
Any suggestion?

Mirko

Perhaps see if switching off ‘Private WiFi Address’ in their current network connection properties page will resolve the issue for you. See attached. I would also disable ‘WiFi Calling’ too.. if still no joy, then maybe reset their network settings in iOS and setup the WiFi connection again to the local network.

Any suggestion?

Mirko

What kind of network? You may have this issue if your iPad is on a different subnet than your speakers are on. 

Same here… three Sonos speakers, one iOS 16 iPad mini… app loads, but I can’t load the speakers, it says I need to turn on location services (with directions on old iOS). All location services are correctly assigned to the Sonos App…. won’t let me click beyond that screen to turn on.

I had the same problem after upgrading iPhone to IOS16.  iPad was fine as still on older iOS.  But iPhone couldn’t see any of the speakers.  I don’t have a VPN.  I reset the phone and that fixed it.  

It’s weird. I’ve got no issues connecting to my Sonos system with my iPhone 13 using iOS 16 (or 16.02 now). Have you tried a hard reboot of your iPhone? Is it, as @Adam_8 suggests, connected to the correct wifi signal, and not just the cell phone tower?

I can’t connect after updating to iOS 16 either. No VPN or any other interface.

My wife who is still on iOS 15 can connect with no problem…

Any other ideas?

Is your correct network selected on your phone Wi-Fi? 

Thanks for your help! Seemed to be Express VPN causing trouble - I flicked some of the settings off and on and it’s all bounced back to life… odd! 

Edit.. actually I just tried on the iPad too and reinstalling the VPN config seemed to do the trick if that helps anyone else.

Userlevel 7

To add to @Ken_Griffiths comment I have and iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 16 with no issues using the S2 App. 

I’m using iOS 16 on an iPhone XR and both the S1 and S2 Sonos Apps are working fine here - maybe reboot the iOS device and check/reset it’s WiFi network connection and see if that perhaps fixes it. Ensure that vpn/security software (if using) is not interfering with the connection to devices on the LAN.