Unable to play xxxxxxx. Lost connection to spotify - over and over and over again...

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,
I need to stress that everything has been working fine for the last couple of years (in so far as Spotify goes); using the Spotify app and through Sonos. It's only just now that it's gone belly-up. I'm wondering if Sonos and/or Spotify are joining forces with Netflix et al, by preventing access to internet media accessed by a DNS service.
Spotify still works just fine even now, but only on non-Sonos equipment. I'm again frustrated by Sonos putting in a middle-man between itself and Spotify, rather than having direct links or just using Spotify Connect. But that situation I'm sure won't change so we must deal with what we have. Whichfor some of us, is near unusable Spotify on Sonos. Of course Spotify works when not using a DNS service but, like the Spotify app, I expect it to work whatever I reasonably choose to do. Can't you guys just contact unblock-us and provide them with the relevant addresses or whatever to allow their DNS service to deal appropriately with the relevant network traffic? If not, to avoid being seen to assist such a service, can you provide me with the details?

Hi Simondp,

We don't recommend or support using DNS redirect services. The Sonos system goes through a server to connect to Spotify. This is a different path than is used by your Spotify app or web browser. I recommend giving our phone team a call to see if they can help you find a workaround. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

There are a lot of connection lost errors on your players when connecting back to the wireless access point. I'd recommend starting with rebooting your wireless and any wireless access points you have in the house, followed by a restart of your Sonos devices. Let us know how that goes.

I have rebooted everything to no avail. I do use Unblock-US but I am in Canada and use Spotify Canada. The Spotify App works standalone with the same DNS settings and SSID which strongly point back to you the Sonos itself. It did work previously as of a few months ago. And if I reset my DNS to 'normal' Spotify works, and if I then reset DNS to 'Unblock-US' it continues to work for a while (a day or so) and then suddenly stops. Seems like there is some checking going on or something?

Other services are not affected - Pandora, Apple Music for instance.

I will contact Unblock-US but since it ONLY doesn't work with Sonos/Spotify I'm sure they will ask me to contact you guys.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am using UnoTelly for my stream services but in the last week or so have started having huge playback issues with Sons. Tracks on Google & Spotify are rarely working, and never on first go. Oddly the icons for Google Music and Spotify are just sitting as question marks in the Sonos Controller. When I try to reauthorise I get an error message and when I try to re-add them I get an error message.

I've power cycled everything, reset the controllers as well. This is so frustrating and I don't appreciate the "We don't recommend or support using DNS redirect services" line, it certainly didn't say that anywhere when I forked over a lot of cash for my hardware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am using UnoTelly for my stream services but in the last week or so have started having huge playback issues with Sons. Tracks on Google & Spotify are rarely working, and never on first go. Oddly the icons for Google Music and Spotify are just sitting as question marks in the Sonos Controller. When I try to reauthorise I get an error message and when I try to re-add them I get an error message.

I've power cycled everything, reset the controllers as well. This is so frustrating and I don't appreciate the "We don't recommend or support using DNS redirect services" line, it certainly didn't say that anywhere when I forked over a lot of cash for my hardware.

It looks like you've been in contact with our support team about this issue. I've updated your ticket to reflect the information on this thread. Please continue to work with our support team on incident number: 160320-000629.
Userlevel 2
I think I have lost all my hair on this. Everything plays fine except Spotify. Diagnostic 6171452. I have been fighting with this for at least 8 months. Kept hoping an update would fix it but nope. I have tried everything in this thread with no luck.
I have the same issue for months now. Thought it was the ADSL service, but if I see the comments I know better now :-)

Spotify as well as TuneIn Radio works in no way, maybe 1 millisecond music for every 5 minutes trying to connect. Have reset everything several times, tried with and without the Sonos Bridge

Diagnostic number 6171802

Sonos, I think you really have an issue here reading through all the comments.

Good luck!
Same here. Been working find for awhile, recently my play:5 gen 1 stopped connecting to any music services. Local playback is fine, myplay bar and play:3 connect fine to Spotify and soundcloud (my play:3 is the furthest away), but my play:5 won't connect or add Spotify or soundcloud songs to a queue.

I have:
Rebooted router and modem
Removed and readded Spotify
Re-authorized Spotify
Factory reset the play:5
Tried changing Sonos net channel

Nothing helps. Diag info: 6174499
I'm having the same problem. It's only on my Play:1, works fine on the Playbar, Play:5 and Play:3

Diagnostic 6176088
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I think I have lost all my hair on this. Everything plays fine except Spotify. Diagnostic 6171452. I have been fighting with this for at least 8 months. Kept hoping an update would fix it but nope. I have tried everything in this thread with no luck.

Hi Fredpenr,

There are login errors showing in your diagnostic report. This can usually be fixed by removing Spotify from your Sonos system then adding it back. Doing so ensures that the correct login information is used. Please try that and let me know if you still have trouble playing Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issue for months now. Thought it was the ADSL service, but if I see the comments I know better now :-)

Spotify as well as TuneIn Radio works in no way, maybe 1 millisecond music for every 5 minutes trying to connect. Have reset everything several times, tried with and without the Sonos Bridge

Diagnostic number 6171802

Sonos, I think you really have an issue here reading through all the comments.

Good luck!

Hi Hansie,

There's quite a bit of wireless interference showing up in your report. This is causing communication errors between your Sonos units and router. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using, here's how.

If that isn't an option because your Sonos system is connected to your wireless network, please change your router's wireless channel and see if that helps.

It can also help to move third party wireless devices away from your Sonos speakers. Common third party devices which can cause interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless baby monitors, wireless security cameras, wireless TVs and printers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same here. Been working find for awhile, recently my play:5 gen 1 stopped connecting to any music services. Local playback is fine, myplay bar and play:3 connect fine to Spotify and soundcloud (my play:3 is the furthest away), but my play:5 won't connect or add Spotify or soundcloud songs to a queue.

I have:
Rebooted router and modem
Removed and readded Spotify
Re-authorized Spotify
Factory reset the play:5
Tried changing Sonos net channel

Nothing helps. Diag info: 6174499

Hi Pglennon,

There are mismatched DNS settings on your Sonos units which are likely the cause of your playback issues. Also, there are some wireless communication errors between your BRIDGE and PLAYBAR, likely due to interference.

Please start by rebooting your router. Once your router is back online, please reboot each of your Sonos units by removing them from power for ten seconds. This will ensure that your router and each Sonos unit get the most up to date network information, including DNS.

It may also help to look near your BRIDGE and PLAYBAR for third party wireless devices. If any wireless device is near or in between your PLAYBAR and BRIDGE, try moving it away or temporarily power it off and see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm having the same problem. It's only on my Play:1, works fine on the Playbar, Play:5 and Play:3

Diagnostic 6176088

Hi Hallsop,

Your Sonos system is reporting high levels of wireless interference. First, try changing the Sonos wireless channel, here's how.

If that doesn't help, please move any third party wireless devices away from your Sonos system. Devices such as cordless phones, wireless printers, wireless TVs and wireless cameras can cause interference.
Same issue as many reported here.

Local playback is working great but Spotify just fails play anything more than a second of audio. Have re-authorised the Spotify account, wireless AP is not far from the PlayBar but still no joy.

Diag is 6216607
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue as many reported here.

Local playback is working great but Spotify just fails play anything more than a second of audio. Have re-authorised the Spotify account, wireless AP is not far from the PlayBar but still no joy.

Diag is 6216607

Hi Wizard155,

It looks like your PLAYBAR is losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. It also looks like you have a few wireless access points. Please make sure all of your access points have the same network name, and are on the same wireless channel. If these are not set the same it can cause your Sonos units to lose connection.

If that doesn't help, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Same issue to everyone above but in addition to disconnect after 10 seconds there is never any audio transmitted to the AMP. So far none of these suggestions have worked for me. No Radio streaming service or Spotify will work. I only have a Bridge connected to my amp. I can stream spotify on iPad OK. I have tried wired ethernet and tested different cales. I have tried wireless. I have tried different wireless channels. The only recent change in my network was DNS blocker service from UnblockUs to SmartDNSProxy. Submitted support diagnostics Conf number is 6435407. Have tried directly connecting the ridge to the Router. Have removed Spotify as a streaming service and re added.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue to everyone above but in addition to disconnect after 10 seconds there is never any audio transmitted to the AMP. So far none of these suggestions have worked for me. No Radio streaming service or Spotify will work. I only have a Bridge connected to my amp. I can stream spotify on iPad OK. I have tried wired ethernet and tested different cales. I have tried wireless. I have tried different wireless channels. The only recent change in my network was DNS blocker service from UnblockUs to SmartDNSProxy. Submitted support diagnostics Conf number is 6435407. Have tried directly connecting the ridge to the Router. Have removed Spotify as a streaming service and re added.

Hi 88cubes,

There are DNS timeout errors showing in your diagnostic report. Please try disabling the SmartDNSProxy service, reboot your Sonos units and see if you can play Spotify.
Hi Jeff - I tried using ISP default DNS and I also got some faster DNS servers from SmartDNSProxy but to no avail I'm afraid so also tried every comination of WIFI channel I could work out and still nothing. I eventually installed a spare Netgear N600 router and everything is working again. Seems my routers DNS response was just slow enough to effect SONOS but all other streaming worked fine. I have just submitted another diagnostic REF 6438181 with the new router - If you could review and let me know if there are any issues I have not seen yet I would appreciate it . So in short case closed. SONOS is all good!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff - I tried using ISP default DNS and I also got some faster DNS servers from SmartDNSProxy but to no avail I'm afraid so also tried every comination of WIFI channel I could work out and still nothing. I eventually installed a spare Netgear N600 router and everything is working again. Seems my routers DNS response was just slow enough to effect SONOS but all other streaming worked fine. I have just submitted another diagnostic REF 6438181 with the new router - If you could review and let me know if there are any issues I have not seen yet I would appreciate it . So in short case closed. SONOS is all good!

Hi 88cubes,

It's good to hear that things are working again. I've reviewed your diagnostic report and everything looks good there. Please let me know if you run into any more issues.
6442779 is my diagnostic number.
I'm having the same problems with Napster and Spotify. Track may play for a few seconds and then cuts out or skips and shows unable to play. Seems to be since the weekend. I've had the system for years without problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
6442779 is my diagnostic number.
I'm having the same problems with Napster and Spotify. Track may play for a few seconds and then cuts out or skips and shows unable to play. Seems to be since the weekend. I've had the system for years without problems.

Hi Mattlord3,

It looks like you've got some wireless interference showing up. This is causing communication errors between your Sonos units and is likely the reason playback is not steady. Please change the Sonos wireless channel and see if that helps.

You can also take a look around your Sonos speakers for third party devices which could be causing wireless interference. Try moving any such device away from your speakers and see if things improve.
I have the same issues. PLays one song on Spotify and then gets the connection problem. Hard to believe that interference and wireless channels have anything to do this as the rest of Sonos works as expected.

I've also started receiving this issue in the last 48 hours. It will play one song and then advise that the connection was lost. Nothing has changed in the network apart from possibly sonos app updates. I have already tried disconnecting and reconnecting spotify. diagnostic confirmation number is 7117816. Would love a solution, thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same issues. PLays one song on Spotify and then gets the connection problem. Hard to believe that interference and wireless channels have anything to do this as the rest of Sonos works as expected.

HI Pete,

I've added a patch to your system which will apply when you run updates. Please do so then test out Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've also started receiving this issue in the last 48 hours. It will play one song and then advise that the connection was lost. Nothing has changed in the network apart from possibly sonos app updates. I have already tried disconnecting and reconnecting spotify. diagnostic confirmation number is 7117816. Would love a solution, thanks.

Hi Ian,

There should be an update available now on your system which will apply a patch that should help.
I have precisely the same issue. Tried updating to the beta version but that didn't help at all.