Unable to play xxxxxxx. Lost connection to spotify - over and over and over again...

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Try following the instructions here: https://use.opendns.com/

Setting it back will depend on your router.. but basically you need to reverse whatever Unblock Us told you to do... or set the DNS from Static back to Automatic.

I'm looking into other SmartDNS services at the moment.. thinking Unlocator.com at the moment.
Great - thanks for the quick response! I really hate the idea of letting Unblock US go as it's been awesome otherwise - it would be great if you could simply toggle it off and on. Please update if you get the chance on how Unlocator works for you :)

Cheers! Happy Holidays!
First glance is that it works great. Spotify is back up on Sonos and it seems better supported than Unblock-Us, so I'm happy. Free trial so easy to see if it'll work for you.

Have a good Christmas and New Year!
Hi Guys.. I just bought a sonos connect: amp and somewhat underwhelmed when the first thing I try to stream doesn't work. It will be sad to let go of unblock us but choice in smart dns is the easiest thing to change here.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Guys.. I just bought a sonos connect: amp and somewhat underwhelmed when the first thing I try to stream doesn't work. It will be sad to let go of unblock us but choice in smart dns is the easiest thing to change here.
We'd be happy to check your system. Mind sending us a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic.
Thanks Max. I have it working with a different smart dns service running under trial. I am pretty sure unblock-us smart DNS returns the incorrect resolution for Spotify. Alternatively, is there a way to manually config the Sonos Connect: Amp ip settings? I don't see it in the controller.
I am also a Unblock-Us DNS user. I used my firewall DNS settings to add a DNS request rule that redirected both sonos.com and spotify.com DNS resolution to Googles DNS servers (1.1.1.1) instead of the standard unblock-us DNS servers. This worked first time on reloading Sonos and playing spotify tracks. All other DNS requests go to the UnBlock-Us DNS servers as this is the default DNS forwarding address.

Drawback is you need a DNS server on your home network to be able to do this but any decent firewall appliance or synology type NAS device will have the ability to do this. I doubt many standard provider supplied firewalls will have this function.

hope this helps someone with a similar set up.
Hi, recently bought the Plat 5 (2nd Gen) and I´m not able to play from Spotify.
I did a hard reset and started working fine after turning off the Play 5 and the router.
Left the house for an hour and came back and the problem started again. Diagnostic Information: 5379921
In my house I´m using Unblock-US to watch Netflix, connected directly to the router.
Need your help.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi, recently bought the Plat 5 (2nd Gen) and I´m not able to play from Spotify.
I did a hard reset and started working fine after turning off the Play 5 and the router.
Left the house for an hour and came back and the problem started again. Diagnostic Information: 5379921
In my house I´m using Unblock-US to watch Netflix, connected directly to the router.
Need your help.

Hi, welcome to the community. To test this, do you mind removing your DNS and replace it be your ISP's DNS? Once done reboot the router and all the Sonos units and try again. Let us know how it goes.
But if I replace DNS, then won't be able to set a different region in Netflix using Unblock Us. Are both Sonos-Spotify and Unblock Us- Netflix compatible and can be used at the same time?
Have the same lost connection issue that started recently with Spotify, we have been using it with unblock us dns service for more than a year with no hiccups but now it keeps timing out 99% of the time. Removing the unblock dns setting and using isp dns works. Is there a fixed ?
Badge
This thread solved the same issue for me:

I recently constantly had the insufficient speed and Spotify dropped issue. System became unusable.

The Sonos bridge was 6" from my AirPort Extreme. I put a longer cable on it and moved it 6+ ft away and it solved the problem instantly.

I checked the old cable on an RJ-45 cable tester and it passed, so I don't believe it was the cable.

I was incredulous regarding this solution, but it's night and day better. Thank you!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I just signed up for Spotify Premium today, and it plays fine via the application. This error happens on anything I play via Sonos. My diagnostic submission is #5538708

What is strange that my son had an account until a few months ago and it played fine with the same settings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
My system has been doing this for the last few days. I'm running Alpha Sonos software and have submitted a diagnostic. I also run unblock-us from the router and have done so without issue for the last two years. A Playbar directly connected to the router provides the gateway. The Spotify app works just fine, with devices running the same DNS addresses. Other music services work as usual. I can see album art and all album, track, playlist etc. details from Spotify but it just won't play the music. Very frustrating. I'm not going to stop using unblock-us as that gives us multi-region Netflix and BBC iPlayer.... What to do....

(I should add that I've tried power cycling, re authorising, re-adding accounts and so on, all without success)
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Anyone able to interpret the below? It's from the Sonos log file. I've yet to get a response from Sonos. Bizarrely, Spotify worked for 10 minutes earlier on. The below is an extract immediately after a song failed to play.

[Thu Jan 1 01:16:01 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Socket Error: timeout (20000)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:01 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 117 (AP=70.99.242.113:4070 ap.gslb.spotify.com:4070)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:02 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Software caused connection abort (103)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:02 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=209.236.75.11:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:03 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Software caused connection abort (103)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:03 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=209.141.49.128:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:03 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Software caused connection abort (103)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:03 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=70.99.242.197:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Connection refused (111)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 101 (AP=67.138.106.143:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Software caused connection abort (103)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=173.208.157.162:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [session:1861] Login failed: 112
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] error: login ecode=8 (Can not connect to Spotify), mapped to 0x80000007
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] Transport error ERROR_LOST_CONNECTION for account type 2311, URI: x-sonos-spotify:spotify%3atrack%3a7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C?sid=9&flags=8224&sn=12, friendly name: Mein Anker, share/server: Spotify, path: x-sonos-spotify:spotify%3atrack%3a7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C?sid=9&flags=8224&sn=12, ip: , host: spotify:track:7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C,1,0,03e2441d961704ccad473d, extra info: , http: -1, framer: spotify
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] conn: br=1869769587, l=0, bw=0, bytes=0 (0)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:05 1970] err: [session:2030] Unable to log play time for 7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just signed up for Spotify Premium today, and it plays fine via the application. This error happens on anything I play via Sonos. My diagnostic submission is #5538708

What is strange that my son had an account until a few months ago and it played fine with the same settings.

There are a lot of connection lost errors on your players when connecting back to the wireless access point. I'd recommend starting with rebooting your wireless and any wireless access points you have in the house, followed by a restart of your Sonos devices. Let us know how that goes.

Anyone able to interpret the below? It's from the Sonos log file. I've yet to get a response from Sonos. Bizarrely, Spotify worked for 10 minutes earlier on. The below is an extract immediately after a song failed to play.

[Thu Jan 1 01:16:01 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Socket Error: timeout (20000)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:01 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 117 (AP=70.99.242.113:4070 ap.gslb.spotify.com:4070)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:02 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Software caused connection abort (103)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:02 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=209.236.75.11:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:03 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=209.141.49.128:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:03 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=70.99.242.197:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Connection refused (111)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 101 (AP=67.138.106.143:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1386] AP Socket Error: Software caused connection abort (103)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [ap:1731] Connection error: 112 (AP=173.208.157.162:443 ap.gslb.spotify.com:443)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] err: [session:1861] Login failed: 112
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] error: login ecode=8 (Can not connect to Spotify), mapped to 0x80000007
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] Transport error ERROR_LOST_CONNECTION for account type 2311, URI: x-sonos-spotify:spotify%3atrack%3a7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C?sid=9&flags=8224&sn=12, friendly name: Mein Anker, share/server: Spotify, path: x-sonos-spotify:spotify%3atrack%3a7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C?sid=9&flags=8224&sn=12, ip: , host: spotify:track:7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C,1,0,03e2441d961704ccad473d, extra info: , http: -1, framer: spotify
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:04 1970] conn: br=1869769587, l=0, bw=0, bytes=0 (0)
[Thu Jan 1 01:16:05 1970] err: [session:2030] Unable to log play time for 7id3R3M5XFMMHRB1Ngiu5C

Those errors translate to the connection to Spotify lagged and failed to response when we reached out to them. The IPs that your DNS is looking for are either taking too long or getting denied. If you're using Unblock-US we've seen more recently trouble with people accessing the Spotify service through Sonos when using that DNS service. Have you tried resetting your DNS to your ISP's and restarting all of your network devices? Does that resolve the trouble?

Music services need every step along the way to take under a certain amount of time, and the total time to be within a short amount too, or you'll have audio cutouts. We've found that the Unblock-US servers are adding a little too much extra latency to the connection and often resulting in playback errors.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ryan,
Thank you for your input. I've sent a further email to unblock-us to see what they have to say. Not sure when they'll respond as... well, let's just say they and other such service providers are rather busy at the moment. Perhaps you can elucidate on why my other Sonos music services work though. Can you state that no changes have been made at your Sonos-Spotify gateway end? I recall the xmas 2015 Sonos apology re Spotify. I just want to ensure my efforts are targeted towards the right vendor. I should also reiterate that I have no problem playing Spotify from their own app, whilst using the same unblock-us service on my device....

Thanks again.
Hi,
connection lost for me too.
All others services works fine. Only Spotify in Sonos can't play any song.
My diagnostic number : 5553088
Anything is Ethernet Cabled except iPad with Apple AirPort Express at 15 cm
Thank for help
Hi,
Thank for help

It's OK after deleting QoS specific limitation provided by company's firewall.
thanks you
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan,
Thank you for your input. I've sent a further email to unblock-us to see what they have to say. Not sure when they'll respond as... well, let's just say they and other such service providers are rather busy at the moment. Perhaps you can elucidate on why my other Sonos music services work though. Can you state that no changes have been made at your Sonos-Spotify gateway end? I recall the xmas 2015 Sonos apology re Spotify. I just want to ensure my efforts are targeted towards the right vendor. I should also reiterate that I have no problem playing Spotify from their own app, whilst using the same unblock-us service on my device....

Thanks again.

There have been some changes. But there wasn't anything that would increase the latency, the opposite is the case. Have you tried removing Unblock-US from your settings and restarted everything to see if Spotify plays fine on Sonos?

It could be communication to the servers used for Spotify on Sonos, which are different ones from the one your computer uses. Let us know how things go.

Hi,
Thank for help

It's OK after deleting QoS specific limitation provided by company's firewall.
thanks you

Glad you're all set Bartlyd.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ryan, is it possible to set specific DNS with the Sonos kit?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So, after much jiggery pokery, I think I've determined a temporary solution. If I use an old unblock-us DNS address on the router then reboot the Sonos unit connected to it, then replace the DNS address on the router with the new unblock-us one then I can get Netflix, nowtv, iplayer etc and Spotify on Sonos working again. Don't know how long it will last.
I'm wondering if unblock-us haven't enabled something on their new DNS address service so I've gone back to them asking if they can just do what they used to do.
Now if Spotify Connect was on the Sonos units, I'd be laughing, or rather listening. The above might be worth trying for those with a similar setup and requirement.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So, after much jiggery pokery, I think I've determined a temporary solution. If I use an old unblock-us DNS address on the router then reboot the Sonos unit connected to it, then replace the DNS address on the router with the new unblock-us one then I can get Netflix, nowtv, iplayer etc and Spotify on Sonos working again. Don't know how long it will last.
I'm wondering if unblock-us haven't enabled something on their new DNS address service so I've gone back to them asking if they can just do what they used to do.
Now if Spotify Connect was on the Sonos units, I'd be laughing, or rather listening. The above might be worth trying for those with a similar setup and requirement.

Well, that worked for 24 hrs.... But no more. Perhaps my morning routine is now going to include changing DNS addresses and power cycling Sonos kit!
"It just works"....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well, that worked for 24 hrs.... But no more. Perhaps my morning routine is now going to include changing DNS addresses and power cycling Sonos kit!
"It just works"....

Hi Simondp,

Unblock.us is known to cause issues with connecting to the Spotify servers which your Sonos system uses. Does your system work properly when Unblock.us is not enabled?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Jeff,
I need to stress that everything has been working fine for the last couple of years (in so far as Spotify goes); using the Spotify app and through Sonos. It's only just now that it's gone belly-up. I'm wondering if Sonos and/or Spotify are joining forces with Netflix et al, by preventing access to internet media accessed by a DNS service.
Spotify still works just fine even now, but only on non-Sonos equipment. I'm again frustrated by Sonos putting in a middle-man between itself and Spotify, rather than having direct links or just using Spotify Connect. But that situation I'm sure won't change so we must deal with what we have. Whichfor some of us, is near unusable Spotify on Sonos. Of course Spotify works when not using a DNS service but, like the Spotify app, I expect it to work whatever I reasonably choose to do. Can't you guys just contact unblock-us and provide them with the relevant addresses or whatever to allow their DNS service to deal appropriately with the relevant network traffic? If not, to avoid being seen to assist such a service, can you provide me with the details?