Unable to play xxxxxxx. Lost connection to spotify - over and over and over again...

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

Same here it has been working fine now Spotify won't play anything 😕
I have the same problem. Seriously annoyed as this seems to be getting worse. What's the point in paying for Spotify and Sonos if it doesn't work!!!!
I have the same problem. Seriously annoyed as this seems to be getting worse. What's the point in paying for Spotify and Sonos if it doesn't work!!!!. Need some help.....please!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys,

There was an outage for Spotify on Sonos on the 18th which we posted about here. My apologies, thought I'd posted in all the threads on this issue. It's been resolved but if you're still having trouble with Spotify we're happy to take a closer look at your system. Likely it's something local to your setup which we can help with.

If you get this error message through Spotify on Sonos can you please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number? Also, try playing another source of music, such as Radio or another service, and see if you have any trouble playing those tracks.

Let us know how it goes.
I've got the same issue, no problem with web radio but with spotify. I sent the log file: 5157393.
Badge
I found recently that ONE particular song on Spotify will force sonos to say "lost connection". odd...
Hi there,

I am experiencing the same issue but only at night like other users are posting. There must be something else going on here. Is it possible that Spotify are dropping Sonos requests when the network is congested? Spotify works fine at night on all devices, it's just Sonos that is broken with "connection is lost".

I've tried everything suggested here. Time to switch services.

Cheers,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've got the same issue, no problem with web radio but with spotify. I sent the log file: 5157393.]

Thanks for that diagnostic. It looks like your player is having some network connection trouble. I'd recommend starting with rebooting the router and when the router is back up, rebooting the player. You only need to unplug them for 10 or so seconds and plug them back in. Your Sonos will reconnect automatically. After that, go ahead and give it another try. Let us know how it goes.

I am experiencing the same issue but only at night like other users are posting. There must be something else going on here. Is it possible that Spotify are dropping Sonos requests when the network is congested? Spotify works fine at night on all devices, it's just Sonos that is broken with "connection is lost".

A couple important things happen at night, everyone comes home and all these networked, wireless devices that haven't been around or have been silent suddenly turn on. This can cause all sorts of mayhem depending on how close your neighborhood is. Also, everyone gets online, so your local internet connection may get strained, or the local servers for Spotify may get strained.

I'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic from your system when you're having trouble playing tracks. you can follow the directions here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number.
"A couple important things happen at night, everyone comes home and all these networked, wireless devices that haven't been around or have been silent suddenly turn on. This can cause all sorts of mayhem depending on how close your neighborhood is. Also, everyone gets online, so your local internet connection may get strained, or the local servers for Spotify may get strained."

Thanks for the response Ryan and I completely understand what you are saying. However the problem is isolated to Spotify via my Sonos system only. All of my other networks / services / devices operate as per usual. I've just signed up to Pandora and Google Play - they work flawlessly through my Sonos system at night.

Is there someone there that I can speak with who actually knows what is going on? Someone who knows why Spotify appear to be dropping requests made by Sonos when there is load on the network? The Sonos support team are just regurgitating the same message to us over and over (which isn't fixing the issue), but is there someone actually investigating the root cause?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the response Ryan and I completely understand what you are saying. However the problem is isolated to Spotify via my Sonos system only. All of my other networks / services / devices operate as per usual. I've just signed up to Pandora and Google Play - they work flawlessly through my Sonos system at night.

Is there someone there that I can speak with who actually knows what is going on? Someone who knows why Spotify appear to be dropping requests made by Sonos when there is load on the network? The Sonos support team are just regurgitating the same message to us over and over (which isn't fixing the issue), but is there someone actually investigating the root cause?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Hi Dave,

When it comes to looking into an issue like this, it's really important to start with the basics and move out from there. I know sometimes it seems like we say the same things about these issues, but most all playback issues we look into are network or environmental in origin and can be resolved easily. Google Play Music does use about the same bandwidth as Spotify, so it's a good sign for your setup that it works fine. Spotify and Google Play Music on Sonos go through different servers for playback so the route from your network out to them may be better on one side versus the other, something we'll want to look into as well.

To investigate fully we do need to make sure the local network is good. We like starting with a diagnostic when the issue is happening as they contain a lot of really useful information, including more engineering level details if the team needs to investigate deeper.

We are constantly monitoring the streams and connections to many of our music services, which is in part what we use to identify outages and other playback issues from servers. Currently there aren't any active issues tracking from Spotify servers, though that is on a more global level, and not necessarily local to your area. We'd love to take a closer look at your system and help identify what's happening.

When this happens again would you mind sending in a diagnostic for us and let me know the number? I'll take a look to make sure everything local is good and can set up a ticket for you with our technicians for a more thorough examination if needed.

Thanks!
having same issues as everybody else just started happening 2 weeks ago i have had sonos and spotify for years. Had issues before but its always been related to outage that sonos or spotify has had. i usually just wait and you guys figure it out. But now you say this was resolved, but its not for me. sometimes when i restart everything i can get trough a song or two before it stops again. have submitted diagnostics number 5186714. I dont have network issues. I work with developing software for gateways and my network connection is monitored in a bunch of different ways. All my responce times on all my other services are fine and spotify works fine on all my other devices and services i have spotify one. the only thing spotify does not work on is sonos. everything else with my sonos system works fine.
Hope you can fix this soon.
Rgds
Strhuan
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Strhuan,

Thanks for that diagnostic. There's a lot of wireless interference on your system specifically hitting the BRIDGE but in most of the other rooms too. It looks like the environment has a lot of noise in general and the channel you're on may be the best. Any chance the BRIDGE can be separated from any electrical devices right around it?

It seems like your Spotify is having the hardest time coping with the issues there locally, but a great way to test if it's in fact the wireless causing issues is if you can wire one of those players into the network directly and test playing Spotify to that room only. That way if it cuts out you know it's related to the path from the player to your router and out to the Spotify servers, then back. It eliminates a lot of variables.

Can you test that out and let us know how it goes?

In general, each component which causes data to get loss adds to the potential for the music to stop. If you're connection is losing packets to wireless interference, and it's running slow, or certain servers taking a little long to respond you're more likely to have an audio cutout. Also, services like Spotify stream at 320 kbps so they already require a strong, stable connection.
Hi i have tried moving things around dint do anything. I can try cabling but severely doubt that is the issue. i checked interference levels on my measuring points and its not perfect but i have seen much much worse. If it was bad signal then i could accept songs stuttering or cutting out but i can get any songs going at all. Only for a short time after a short time after reboot of all the equipment.
Rgds
strhuan
resubmitted diagnostics again 5186984, Now its cabled and only one device same issue. Like i said this is not a network issue as far as i can see. Will See if i can dig up a hub and start doing some tracing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
resubmitted diagnostics again 5186984, Now its cabled and only one device same issue. Like i said this is not a network issue as far as i can see. Will See if i can dig up a hub and start doing some tracing.

Thanks for testing that. The error coming up is a login failed error, it seems to be resolving to the servers properly. Have you tried simply removing your Spotify account and adding it back in?

It's always good to make sure the environment isn't going to be an issue in the future, but I'm quite sure the WiFi isn't to blame here.

Let us know how it goes once you've re-authorized the account. If you're still having trouble I'l be happy to open up a support ticket for you.
Hi there,

Ryan thanks for your response. I have run a couple of diagnostics tests - one at about 3.25pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time) and one at 7pm. The connection was perfect at 3.25, however it is not working at the moment.

The diagnostics numbers are 5188058 and 5188256 respectively.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi, I have similar issues. It keeps dropping soundcloud, tidal and some stations cannot connect any longer.

I have send diagnostics, not sure what is going on but I have only had Sonos for less than a week and I am already getting problems. Hope this can be resolved quickly.

Diagnostics number 4829873

Thanks in advance

Are you still having trouble playing the services? I tried opening the diagnostic you submitted but wasn't able to view it (either it has been deleted or not archived in our database). Could you submit another diagnostic after the errors occur's? Post the confirmation number in a comment and we will have a look at it.
Hi I have tried removing and re-authorized the account still does not work. What more can i test.
/strhuan
hi i have now traced the traffic seems you are resetting the tcp session. Because its encrypted its a bit hard to figure out why, will dig trough it some more. Where can i upload the trace?
also replaced my router to a another model just to exclude router software updates. But still does not work.
/strhuan
Hi i fixed it myself you seem to have some issues with county geolocation and tunnels. I have some vpns and tunnels for work and your geo location seemed to get confused. Hard coded some routing paths for sonos traffic and now we are good. Think root cause was what i pasted in the end of the message. you have some geo location request you are trying that is malformed and that messes everything up. Anyway you can close my case if you ever opened one. But you guys need to look into how you do geo location lookup and probably ad some redundancy. Because all my other devices that are running spotify and i have long range of clients and setups(i experiment and test a lot in my work) none of them had this issue.

......R.P...............gReR`...>....,.}V.P4.6.!z...c._K...p....1.t..B 0...-.
X.j$.4.......xt.5W.....db.#..........NT..._.b........=;.{.fY~..lB.D.........HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Server: squid/3.1.10
Mime-Version: 1.0
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 10:47:05 GMT
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 3205
Vary: Accept-Language
Content-Language: en
Connection: close

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

Invalid Request error was encountered while trying to process the request:

Some possible problems are:

Missing or unknown request method.
Missing URL.
Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0).
Request is too large.
Content-Length missing for POST or PUT requests.
Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed.
HTTP/1.1 Expect: feature is being asked from an HTTP/1.0 software.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Sat, 05 Dec 2015 10:47:05 GMT by localhost (squid/3.1.10)
Hello,

I have submitted a diagnostic number 5228467.

I've never had any trouble playing Spotify before but over the past 2/3 weeks I've suddenly lost the ability to do it. All other services and internet radio work fine. Streaming from the music library is fine. Sometimes it will allow me to stream but its periodic and I can't identify a pattern.

Things I've done from reading this thread:
- removed and readded the spotify account (its not facebook based)
- reset the controller
- made sure cables aren't the issue
- checked whether the Wifi Channel could be congested (its on 6, and that's the least congested bit of the spectrum)

Can at Sonos assist please?

Thanks.
Well, count me in as one of the users that cannot use Spotify through the Sonos controller. I'm getting the exact same error message indicated in this thread and have reset my router as well as deleting and reissuing my account through the controller. I'm able to use Songza which is the only other app that I regularly switch to. The only "work-around" that I have is to put my iPhone onto my (increasingly precious) Sonos iPod / iPhone Dock and playing Spotify through it's native controller. This isn't ideal since I need to actually be in the same room as my iPhone to change playlists and songs.

Would really appreciate more information in this thread from support since folks have already indicated that the solutions proposed have not worked. I don't want to come off as salty since I love my Sonos infrastructure so much that when it isn't working properly it's actually a real bummer. Would just love to have this fixed before my holiday guests arrive for Christmas. (crosses fingers)
I've just been on the phone to Sonos Support and the problem appears to be DNS based, specifically using Unblock-Us. Something has changed with their setup.

Changing back to default, GoogleDNS or OpenDNS servers has fixed the issue for me, and im escalating to Unblock-US at the moment, but I don't think they're going to do anything without some kind of mass community outrage.
Interesting, Robably. I am using Unblock-US. Can you fill me in on how you change back to default with Google DNS or Open DNS? Is this something that can be toggled off and on in order to still use the Unblock-US service? Thank you SO much in advance for any advice - I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to fixing DNS issues and the like.