Unable to play xxxxxxx. Lost connection to spotify - over and over and over again...

The connection to Spotify is lost over and over again when I try to play songs on my Sonos system. It happens again and again. Sometimes it manages to play half a song, but then stops. It goes on like this for days. Some days it works. Some not.

Diagnostics no: 3735414

I have a Netgear CG3700 modem connected to an Airport Extreme 802.11n 5th generation and extended wireless network with an Airport Express 802.11n 5th generation. Bandwith is 100mps.

Please help, I have had this problem for a long time now.

Best regards, Per

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

158 replies

New fresh diagnostics no: 3736091
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Per,

Do you only have issues streaming Spotify? The error message I am seeing states we are losing connection to the Spotify service. Have you tested any other service such as internet radio to see if you experience audio playback issues? 

Please try the following troubleshoots, in this order, to help narrow down the issue:

Reboot your router and test the service again. Unplug your router from power for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in to power. Wait for the network to come back up. .Then test again. Please clear your queue and then re-add and test playback. 

Remove and re-add the Spotify Service. To do so from your computer, please select: Manage > Service Settings > select Spotify > 'Remove' or ' - ' then select 'Add' or ' + ' > Spotify and enter your username and password

Test other services on the system. Test Internet Radio and other services to see if you experience the same skipping. 

I am seeing a pretty big spike in interference on your system. Take a look at this link, it has possible causes and potential solutions to help with this. Sometimes changes as minor as making sure to separate your wireless router and the Sonos devices by three or more feet, or as far as the cable allows, will improve audio streaming.

Please also submit another diagnostic after these tests and after you experience an issue. I'll be happy to take a look.
Hi, thanks for your answer.
No service (radio etc) works when this problem occurs.
I have tried all above (even ordered a new modem from my internet provider) except moving the Sonos bridge away from the wireless router. I will try this for a while and get back to you if it doesn't work. Spent a lot of money on my system and tried for over 5 month to get it working correctly. the first 2 years I had no problem at all and I always have had the same equipment.

Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello Per,

I look forward to hearing from you in regards to this issue.

Another quick troubleshoot you could try would be to swap out the ethernet cable that goes from the router to the BRIDGE- sometimes we see that over time these cables can go bad and have trouble transferring large packets of information. As mentioned before, moving the BRIDGE further away from the router when you get the chance will significantly improve the interference level as well. 

Cheers. 
So far (2 days) it is working absolutely perfect!!! I moved the bridge 5meters from the wireless router.
I have passed this info to several friends who have had approx the same problem. Seems like this maybe is something you should have at your FAQ:s or troubleshooting site?

Thanks again!! (so far 🙂 )
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
That's great to hear Per. We do have an FAQ that discusses possible solutions for interference. The thing to keep in mind is that every environment is different and sometimes it takes a few extra steps to get everything working harmoniously. 

I'd love to hear your feedback about the FAQ if you maybe tried something else that worked in your case. If moving the BRIDGE solved your problem, that's great to hear. Sometimes it's as simple as creating some space between the unit's to get them in working order. 
I am having the same issue. My sonos are far away (like 15 meters) from my wirless access point. It is connected directly to the router (non-wireless gateway) with ethernet cable. I have changed three times the cable with no luck. Restarte router, AP, sonos, etc. Remove and readd the service. Nothing. Suddenly, it fixes by itself and the next day is the same. It is at random times. I tested my internet connection and is working perfectly. 9.28 Mbps with no drops and great ping.
I am having the same issue. My sonos are far away (like 15 meters) from my wirless access point. It is connected directly to the router (non-wireless gateway) with ethernet cable. I have changed three times the cable with no luck. Restarte router, AP, sonos, etc. Remove and readd the service. Nothing. Suddenly, it fixes by itself and the next day is the same. It is at random times. I tested my internet connection and is working perfectly. 9.28 Mbps with no drops and great ping.
I'm having the same issue as well, with similar random hours where it will play correctly. Frustrating.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
@Vreo:

I'm happy to take a look at your system with you. Are you unable to play Spotify at all or are you hearing playback issues? Do you experience issues with any other services or radio stations? If you are using your Facebook login, try logging out of your account and logging back in using your Spotify credentials. [filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][page]=4#topic-reply-list]Take a look at this page, it will walk you through obtaining your Spotify username/device ID. 

Please submit a diagnostic after you experience the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 

@Duane:
I'd also recommend that you try removing and re-adding your Spotify account using your Spotify username/device ID instead of your Facebook login. 

Please also submit a diagnostic after you experience the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 
I restarted my modem and router, and deleted and re-added Spotify, and I am still having the issue.  Spotify keeps getting an error that the connection is lost.  I don't have a problem with any other services.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I restarted my modem and router, and deleted and re-added Spotify, and I am still having the issue.  Spotify keeps getting an error that the connection is lost.  I don't have a problem with any other services.

Hello Kaity, 

Were you able to obtain your Spotify username/device ID and attempt add your account that way? We are currently looking into a issue between Spotify Facebook credentials and Sonos, where clients are experiencing browsing or playback issues. 

Try re-adding the account using this step and let us know if you run into further issue. 

I'm running into the same issue with my Sonos and Spotify. It used to work perfectly until two days ago. I have deleted and re-added Spotify and still keep getting the same error.
Userlevel 1

I also had the same problem. Reauthorizing my account with Spotify seemed to fix the problem.

I'm having the same problem as well. It started a couple days ago. Reauthorizing didn't work for me. This is frustrating.

Resetting the controller worked for me.
@Dominique:

I am having the same issue on my Playbar. Pandora Radio works fine, but Spotify can't make it through a whole song, if start one at all. It says unable to play "insert name of song here", the connection to Spotify was lost. I have tried removing my account from the controller app on my phone to no avail.

Here is my diagnostic number right after the issue occurring: 4324354.

Please help as this was an expensive unit and I expect it to perform as it should. Thanks.
Hi I have been having the SAME issue for months now. I am so beyond frustrated, as I work from home and use my Play 3 to stream music and get in my zone :) 
My Play 3 is connected wirelessly to the modem. I use to use my bridge, and had the same problem though, so I don't think it's that I switched that up and took the bridge out. 

I am having this issue too. I will try and sign in with Spotify and Sonos using my Spotify credentials and see if this fixes it. I think I signed in via facebook last time, as I couldn't recall my Spotify username/pword. Thanks for this forum! 
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
@Brett: 
Have you tried removing your Spotify account and replacing it with your Spotify username/device ID instead of your Facebook credentials? 

Please try this step and let us know if you still experiencing playback issues. 

@Alia:
I'd recommend that you try the same troubleshooting step to see if you are able to resume playback. Let me know if this works for you as well. 

I contacted Spotify support and they switched my account from facebook to a regular login account.  That fixed the problem with playing Spotify from Sonos.

A note to any other Sonos users who have the same issue....it's not a straight foward process with Spotify to change your account.  You have to contact their support through email, then they delete your facebook login, then you will need to re-register like your a new Spotify user, then you will need to let Spotify support know your new username, and then they will have to migrate all your music to that new account.  Also, you will need to upgrade your account to premium and put in your billing information again.

Thanks for your help Dominique!!
Dominique,

I have made it through my very first complete song on Spotify! Thank you for the solution. One more question though, let's say the issue resurfaces down the road...what would be my next step? Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Great to hear Brett.

If you do run into this issue again, I'd recommend that you grab a diagnostic after the error and then call into our support line so we can take a deeper look. 
Hi, I have similar issues. It keeps dropping soundcloud, tidal and some stations cannot connect any longer.

I have send diagnostics, not sure what is going on but I have only had Sonos for less than a week and I am already getting problems. Hope this can be resolved quickly.

Diagnostics number 4829873

Thanks in advance
Attached a couple screenshots of the messages that I keep getting.

Internet connection works fine, I am watching Hulu and browsing the net without any issues.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Same problem here

When connected to the same network as your system, copy this URL into your browser and navigate to the page:
http://192.168.0.16:1400/setstring?R_SpotifyAP=ap.spotify.com

If done correctly it will bring you to an almost blank page with the words `settings changed’ near the top. You can now try to play a Spotify track and the problem should be corrected.

If the problem persists, remove Spotify from Sonos: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2864.

After removing your Spotify account from your system, restart your router and speaker (by unplugging the power cable for ten seconds) then re-add the account again.