Question

Unable to Play XXXXX - The connection was lost OR I get account information invalid

Badge

I have spent about 4 hours or so, going through every troubleshooting step I can find, and at times, Spotify will work and it will start playing.  Then I do something else, and it stops working again.  My diagnostic is 442930686.

I have removed facebook from my account.  I have removed and re-added all the speakers.  I have gone from wired to wireless.  I have adjusted my network settings for STP.    Everything else works, TV, Sonos Radio, just Spotify has issues. 

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You might see the contact page and try the Sonos 24x7 support on Twitter, try the phones tomorrow or just wait for a Sonos support type to review your diagnostic.

If it is just Spotify you might look at the Spotify posts here and see if there are any tips, I don’t use it so am little help.

Badge

I did go through Spotify support site to see what was suggested there.  I removed FaceBook access, and then it worked, for one session, then it didn’t work.  Sonos works with everything else but Spotify, and Spotify works with everything but Sonos.  After putting up this post, I am trying out Apple music.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @DerekLanham,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your diagnostic report.

I have a few questions about your set up that should help us understand what is going on with your Spotify service. 

• Do you notice that Spotify stops no matter which room you play it in or is one more prone to it than the other?
  • Are you starting Spotify playback from the Sonos app itself or from the Spotify app?
  • I can see that your Playbars are wired to your Ubiquiti network, are they wired to a switch, an access point or to the main router?
  • Do any other music services (Apple Music, for instance) behave the same way?

Have you rebooted your router since you began experiencing issues with Spotify, it’s usually the first step to take with any internet related issue so if you haven’t then start there. 

Badge

It doesn’t matter which speakers I connect to it doesn’t work most of the time.

i have tried both the Sonos app and the Spotify app.  With the Spotify app i don’t get an error message, just doesn’t work.  

the players are wired to a ubiquiti switch.  The gateway is separate, and only has a single LAN port.  

Apple Music works fine, and Sonos radio as well.  

I have restarted the network, and will try that again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @DerekLanham,

Thank you for your reply, I have a quick question for you.

When you configured your Ubiquiti network devices for STP, did you notice or adjust the “Auto-Optimize Network” setting?

Can you double check that this is switched off if it is present?

It may be helpful for us to have more complete information about your gateway and switch, some pieces of network equipment have particular setting requirements. From what I am able to tell in your diagnostics, this one setting might be tripping up Spotify playback in Sonos.     

Badge

I didn’t see auto optimize on the STP options.  But I do have several automatic elements setup within the ubiquiti management.  I will see if I can turn those off.  

Badge

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @DerekLanham,

Thank you for posting with the additional information. If your switch STP settings are all already in line with  the STP switch settings (general) you may still need to make some additional adjustments to your access points and switches that are particular to Ubiquiti equipment. I’ve included them below.

Spanning Tree Switch Configuration:

• Force Protocol Version = IEEE 802.1d (Classic)

CST Port Configuration:

• Set both "Port Cost" & "External Port Cost" to 0 (Auto)
  • Set the "External Port Cost" to 2 (10Gb)

Access points:

1. In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  2. Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  3. Expand Advanced Options.
  4. Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  5. In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  6. Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

Badge

Made the access point changes, but the Spanning Tree Switch configuration, and CST Port Configuration are not options that I found.  In addition, I was not able to make all of the STP changes in the link provided, as not all of those options were found either on my Ubiquiti.

Also, all of these setting suggest that these are required just to make Sonos work properly, however my Sonos works fine with all Apple music and Sonos Radio, it just doesn’t work with Spotify.

The extra messed up thing about this, Spotify was working occasionally before I started making all of the changes that have been recommended.  I think my next step is to do a factory reset on my switch, and start all over again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @DerekLanham,

You may also want to check some of the security settings in your network and make sure that all the ports relevant to Spotify are open.

It may be helpful for us know the model of your router, access points and switches since not all of the settings are available on all models of Ubiquitiy equipment, as you have mentioned. 

Keep us posted on your progress.    

Badge

The router is a ubiquiti USG (Unifi Secure Gateway). I have turned off optimization, and I am not using VLANs.  Since Sonos works fine except, and Spotify works fine, except they don’t work together, it is hard for me to expect a issue with firewall ports.  However, I did review the ports, and am making those changes now if needed. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

@DerekLanham 

Thank you for combing back through those settings. 

Just to check back in, you have also made sure that multicast is enabled and that WLAN to LAN multicast filtering has been disabled on everything that has settings for those options? 

How is everything working at the moment?

Badge

So, I made all of the changes, reset everything, made all the changes again, and Spotify still did not work on Sonos.  Then I noticed my wife playing her Spotify through Sonos, and I tried again with my account and it was working fine.  For a few days.  Now it is not working again.  This is completely and utterly dumbfounding.  Again, this is a problem unique to Spotify only with Sonos.  I can’t figure out what is happening when it is not working versus when it does work.  since it was working for a few days, it would seem everything was setup properly, but why now does it stop working again.

Now, as I type this message in, it starts working again.  2 things I did, reboot the router, and I had multiple sessions with the same account, different speakers in the same house, same network, and once I merged those all into one session it worked.  I suspect the router reboot was the issue that resolve it, but do I have to reboot the router every few days?  any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @DerekLanham,

Rebooting the router periodically is always a good idea but shouldn’t be necessary to do every few days. 

It’s also important to note that Spotify will only allow you to playback to one speaker per account at any one time. 

If you had multiple sessions in other locations, that would definitely prevented playback on other devices.  

Badge

I assume you mean one speaker or one speaker group, which make sense.  And that might be the problem all along.  for example, if somehow there is a lingering connection.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hello @DerekLanham,

Yes any one speaker or group of speakers withing Sonos will count as 1. If you had a Spotify stream also running on a phone or computer or to a second Sonos room or group, it would not have allowed you to do so.

It may very well have been the problem all along but certainly continue to monitor the situation with that in mind and see if the issue resolves.