Question

Unable to play the same source on Connect and Play:5 at the same time

Badge
Hi Guys.
I have been having this problem with my setup for quite some time now, and i hope to get some advice to get it solved.
I have a Connect, a play:5 and a Play:1. And when I want to play the same source on all at the same time, the Connect stops playing. There is no problem playing the same source on the two Play units, and it also ok to play radio on the Play units while playing an album from Tidal/Spotify on the Connect. But as soon as I try to play the same music on the Connect and any of the Play units, the Connect goes silent.
They are all hooked up to the same wireless network, from an Apple AirPort Extreme, with a 60Mbit internet connection.

Any advices?

26 replies

Hello Nightowl. Do you get any error messages when the music stops? We'd like to take a look at a diagnostic from your system to see what may be happening. Would you mind recreating the issue, then submitting a diagnostic following these instructions? Please post the confirmation code here.
Badge
There are no error codes. The Connect just goes silent.7365153 is the diagnostics number submitted. Thanks for looking into it!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Nightowl wrote:

There are no error codes. The Connect just goes silent.7365153 is the diagnostics number submitted. Thanks for looking into it!

I've reviewed your diagnostic and found peaks of WiFi interference that may lead to communication errors. Due to the issue, the system can experience audio drops.

Would it be possible to wire the CONNECT with an Ethernet cable (to the router) and try again?
Badge
I would have to get a 12m long first, and even if it would solve my problem, it wouldn't be a solution I could live with. Is there any alternative, change settings or something, that I could try instead? Or turning off my 5G wifi network? For me, the tethered solutions is fundamentally against the concept of Sonos, and I will consider an entirely different entertainment solution, if that is the only way to make it work as intended.
Badge
Finally I got my Connect tethered with a 15m long cable, but unfortunately the outcome is the same. As soon as a gruop with my Play:5 or Play:1, the Connect goes silent. I have send a diagnostic, numbered 7689479, if someone can please see if there is any difference when the Connect i cabled...
Badge +1
Thanks for the update. After checking the new diagnostic it looks like Sonos may be connecting to the network via multiple wireless access points. To confirm we'll need to know if your network as any wireless extenders or wireless access points other than your primary router?
Badge
Yes, it is connected via my AirPort Extreme routers wifi, which is tethered to my fiber-modem which also has its own wifi. Should I try and connect it directly to the modems wifi instead?
Do both of your routers have DHCP enabled? If so you have probably split your network. One router must be configured in 'bridge' or 'access point' mode.
Badge
Hi john, I've now disconnected the airport router, and connected the Sonos system directly to the fiber modems wifi. Unfortunately the result is exactly the same as before. I've sent a diagnostics report, number 7834458, via the controller. Please review and advise
John B isn't a Sonos employee, and doesn't have access to the diagnostic. Sonos employees are marked as Sonos Staff, much like Tyler M above.
Hopefully a Sonos employee will pick up the diagnostic even so. But when you say you have disconnected the Airport router do you mean you have removed it completely from your network, i.e. powered it off, or something else? All this info will be useful to Sonos.
And whatever change you made you would need to reboot everything on your network afterwards.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
John B wrote:

Do both of your routers have DHCP enabled? If so you have probably split your network. One router must be configured in 'bridge' or 'access point' mode.

This looks to be the case. The first diagnostic showed players with a 10.0.x.x range, which is from the Apple router (that's their default range). The second diagnostic is showing your 192.168.x.x range, from the main (first) router. If possible, we'd suggest setting your Apple router into a Bridge mode so that you only have one DHCP pool there.
Badge
Nightowl wrote:

Finally I got my Connect tethered with a 15m long cable, but unfortunately the outcome is the same. As soon as a gruop with my Play:5 or Play:1, the Connect goes silent. I have send a diagnostic, numbered 7689479, if someone can please see if there is any difference when the Connect i cabled...

Still no feedback from Sonos...? I submitted the diagnostics report, from when I had the zp:90 hooked directly to the (only/single) router with a cable, and results were the same.... I would like to know if this fault could be corrected in some way, as I find it pretty anoying, not being able to play the same souce on two speaker at the same time, when playing from Tidal.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Nightowl wrote:

Nightowl wrote:

Still no feedback from Sonos...? I submitted the diagnostics report, from when I had the zp:90 hooked directly to the (only/single) router with a cable, and results were the same.... I would like to know if this fault could be corrected in some way, as I find it pretty anoying, not being able to play the same souce on two speaker at the same time, when playing from Tidal.

Sonos feedback is literally above your post. Did you not see it?
Badge
Hi Stuart, yes it did see the reply from Ryan S....and I also tried removing the Apple router to eliminate all possible sources of errors, did you not see that?
As of this moment, the Sonos bridge is connected directly to my only modem/router, and the original issue persist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Nightowl, welcome back. I'd like to just take a quick step back to make sure we're all on the same page. I have a feeling we didn't quite understand the issue you're experiencing and I'd love some more information.

Can you describe for us in details what you're doing, and what is actually happening, including what apps you're using? What steps are you taking here when you go to play on both of your Sonos players? Are you trying to group the two together to play the same thing at the same time using the Sonos app? Are you using native music service apps to control what's playing on both speakers?

Music services usually have a stream limit as to the number of separate, concurrent streams that are active on devices at one time. Usually, this is specific to devices that using the service. For example, Spotify accounts are only able to have one stream of music going on at a time. If you have a mobile app playing Spotify over your headphones, and you go to play Spotify on your Sonos system using the Sonos app, the service will stop playing on your phone (usually after the song that's on).

The exception to this rule, is that when using the Sonos app to control your Sonos players, you can send multiple streams to your Sonos players at the same time. You PLAY:5 should be able to play one song while you have a different song playing on the CONNECT. But that is only if you start both streams using the Sonos app. There is direct control from the Spotify and the TIDAL apps on Sonos, but when using those native apps they each could as a separate stream than if you'd started playing using the Sonos app.
Badge
Hi Ryan, thank you for getting back to me...

In short; I want to listen to an album on Tidal in my kitchen (play:5) and my livingroom (connect) at the same time. I always use the sonos controller on my Iphone (8), and I group the two zones, and start the stream...the livingroom (connect) always cuts out. Always the livingroom (connect), never the kitchen (Play:5)

The kitchen (play:5) and bathroom (Play:1) has no problem playing the same when grouped together, no matter what source being played.

I rarely listen to diffent sources/music on my different zones, but when i do, there is no problem at all.

I have an 100/50Gb fiber connection with dedicated modem/router (i've disconnected my Airport Extreme since your first recommandation) going directly to the Sonos bridge now, and the problem is still exactly the same. So i guess it is the most simple setup i can run...

I'm not sure I understand all your questions, but I have done my best to answer as good as I can.

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks, that is what I needed to know, and it helps a lot to narrow down what you're seeing. The most likely cause of what you're describing is the network connection that your Living Room CONNECT has. Usually, that would be caused by wireless interference or network latency.

When it stops playing, does the CONNECT drop from the existing group that you have? Is the CONNECT still listed as part of the group but no longer playing?

Can you try this out for me and send a new diagnostic as soon as it happens?
Badge
I does not drop from the group, it just goes silent. The last diagnostics report I send (the result was the same), the Connect was tethered to the router, so I guess it is not a wireless problem.
I will send you a report in the morning, as it is getting late here, and the family is sleeping...
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks, I look forward to looking over that tomorrow then. I looked over your older diagnostic and on that one I only see your PLAY:1 and your CONNECT, and from the diagnostic, it appeared that both of them were playing and grouped together.
Badge
I have just submitted a new diagnostics report, number 888285962.
I made a mistake yesterday, saying my zone bridge is connected, which it is NOT...everything is running wireless on the house network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks. There is some wireless interference on that diagnostic, and changing your house wireless to channel 11 might help, but I think something else might be in play here causing your trouble.

Does the audio stop working very quickly after you group the two together and it's reproducible regularly?

What does it take to bring the audio back on the CONNECT? Do you have to ungroup the CONNECT to bring the audio back?

Also, just to confirm, which output port are you using from the CONNCET?
Badge
I believe I have tried all possible channels, with the same result.
And yes the music stops immediately when the Connect is grouped with others, and does not return until it is ungrouped.

I’m not sure what you mean by which output ports I’m using from the Connect...two beolap 4000 speakers is connected to the output jacks(don’t know what they are called...phono?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
OK, thanks for the details. I was just checking that you were using the Analog RCA outputs, and not one of the two digital outputs on the CONNECT. I'd like to run the details of what you're seeing here past one of our senior technicians in your time zone.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings