Answered

Unable to play “Sonos Radio” Access denied

• 20 November 2020
  • 35 replies

Can’t play any radio station at all all of a sudden, 

I get :“Unable to play “Sonos radio” access denied  or “unable to play the radio station” messages despite being logged in and able to play other music via Apple or Tidal without issue, internet connection good etc.

Have logged out and back in and tired from multiple devices, same.

icon

Best answer by gebrouwe 21 November 2020, 09:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

I stumbled into what appears to be a solution. Meaning it’s working now but a mystery as to why it’s been down for so long to and why this worked...

I went to Settings > Services & Voice > Sonos Radio. Then I saw “Reauthorize account”. Never seen that before. I tried it. It failed. So of course I tried it again. Hmmm. It still came back with “Reauthorize account” but no failure.  Now Sonos Radio works.  This seems fairly mysterious.

Does this have something to do with the recent addition of the new paid HD Radio service?

This indeed fixed the problem with no delay! Why do I think that Sonos support should know this? Or the problem should have been fixed for a long time already? 

@mgibson323 

This worked for me as well - I have the Sonos amp and unplugging it and plugging it back in totally solved the problem of not being able to play Sonos Radio. 

Worked for me too! ANd helped me troubleshoot why other services weren’t working either. Thanks to the community for figuring this out, particularly @dspdon. If only the Sonos support team was better at finding these fixes…!

I stumbled into what appears to be a solution. Meaning it’s working now but a mystery as to why it’s been down for so long to and why this worked...

I went to Settings > Services & Voice > Sonos Radio. Then I saw “Reauthorize account”. Never seen that before. I tried it. It failed. So of course I tried it again. Hmmm. It still came back with “Reauthorize account” but no failure.  Now Sonos Radio works.  This seems fairly mysterious.

Does this have something to do with the recent addition of the new paid HD Radio service?

THIS WORKED FOR ME ALSO … cheers 👍👍👍

Having the same problem since a couple of days. "Re-authorize" works (for now). Nice feature! 

Two days in a row I tried to listen to Sonos Radio and got this error.  Was able to reauthorize account and voila it works.  A sad trend to be sure.  Why bother you might ask.  I would agree with you.  

Three days and counting.  So it seems to use Sonos’ own music service you have to authenticate every day.   A feature not a bug right?

Two days in a row I tried to listen to Sonos Radio and got this error.  Was able to reauthorize account and voila it works.  A sad trend to be sure.  Why bother you might ask.  I would agree with you.  

Thanks so much for your advice, @Bailes . I didn’t get a ‘fail’  as @dspdon did - my reauthorise worked. And now I have Sonos Radio again! 

I get :“Unable to play “Sonos radio” access denied  or “unable to play the radio station” messages despite being logged in and able to play other music via Apple or Tidal without issue, internet connection good etc.

Yep, me too. But (as I think an earlier post has mentioned) I can still play TuneIn stations.

Oh boy, am I fed up with the inconsistencies and lack of support from Sonos. Seems this is a frequent glitch, but there’s no instant chat for a technician to suggest fixes etc. We all pay a premium price for Sonos products and they don’t give a damn about customer service.

Badge

I found the same solution as @dspdon.

Settings > Services & Voice > Sonos Radio > “Reauthorize account”

Badge

@dspdon I just unplugged the problematic unit for about a minute and then plugged it back in. That solved the problem for me. 

That’s Jan 2021. Fat fingered that one!

I am experiencing the same issue now (Jan 2022). When selecting a Sonos Radio Station (not a Sonos HD Radio station, just regular Sonos Station), I get “access is denied”.  I can play Amazon and other material, but the majority of what I play is Sonos Radio stations. Any ideas on a solution?  I use Sonos Amp. Not sure that makes mma difference on this.  I logged out of the App, logged back in. 

Badge

My issue was resolved by contacting support. Let that be a lesson to you: try unplugging and plugging back in the speaker! Thanks @Mark P 

Badge

Hi Mark P,

So in your opinion, the issue affecting the ability to play *only* Sonos radio stations is somehow related to the networking settings of my router? These same settings do not affect my ability to play any other music or radio service? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @mgibson323.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

The recommended router settings above are for the typical household router.

Other mesh wifi router doesn't have an option get the recommended setup, that's why it would be best if you can call our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in depth troubleshooting steps as well as a remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Hi,

I‘ve never changed any of those router (Orbi RBR50) settings - the radio stations used to work, and the other day just suddenly started saying “access denied”. It’s unreasonable to ask people to make so many modifications to an external piece of hardware when everything else is working exactly as expected. For what it’s worth:

1. Not shutting this off, due to other devices in use
  2. n/a
  3. Already set
  4. both are enabled
  5. already on b/g/n
  6. Cannot disable this

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @mgibson323.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community

I’ve review your diagnostic report and their are some settings you need to change in your router for Sonos to work smoothly.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

a. Auto channel must be set to Off

b. Choose best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11)

c. Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz

d. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled

e. 802.11 band should be set to b/g/n

f. Airtime Fairness should be disabled

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

The Sonos radio status can be seen by anyone here: https://status.sonos.com/

Diagnostic confirmation number is 1937439077.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @mgibson323.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Will you able to send a screenshot of your Sonos radio that has a greencheck mark?

Also diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

Badge

Having this issue right now, Sonos Radio status has a green checkmark next to it though. What gives?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @lansee.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

If you're still having issues with Sonos Radio HD. 

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission

I don’t pay for Sonos Radio HD but I keep getting this error when trying to play any free Radio station. Happens daily and pretty much all day long. Started about a week ago and I still can’t get it to work. Super frustrating. Same issue on iPad and iPhone. My Sonos app is always up to date and I’ve tried logging out/logging back in multiple times. @Mark P are you still following this thread?

I am today receiving the ‘unable to play Sonos Radio’ - access is denied message and can’t access this music service for which I pay a monthly subscription to Sonos HD radio. Seems from earlier comments that this issue is recurring over a prolonged period now. Can this be resolved please?