Answered

Unable to play "Song Title" - the connection to Spotify was lost

Userlevel 1

I emailed Sonos with details of an error at the weekend - got a message promising a reply within 24 hours but have heard nothing - so though I would try here.

In the past few week Spotify (Premium Family members) has become completely redundant on our Sonos system.  None of us are able to play any Spotify tracks on Sonos - either from the Spotify app or from the Sonos Controller app.

We have been through all of the suggestions (rebooting, removing Sonos, removing Spotify, checking Wi-Fi connection etc) and nothing has fixed it.

We can stream from our Music Library to all devices (so we assume wi-fi is working fine ) and we can stream internet radio stations (so we assume Sonos has internet connection).

I have submitted support diagnostics reference 1445143747.

Any suggestions much appreciated

icon

Best answer by ghostsup 14 June 2020, 10:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

How much control do you thing Sonos engineers have over the Spotify servers? Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it gets played by your speakers, all they do is point at a server location that Spotify has told them is the correct location to get the data. Sonos doesn’t touch the data stream until the point it reaches your speakers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

How much control do you thing Sonos engineers have over the Spotify servers? Sonos doesn’t touch the stream until it gets played by your speakers, all they do is point at a server location that Spotify has told them is the correct location to get the data. Sonos doesn’t touch the data stream until the point it reaches your speakers. 

I think Sonos has enough clout to contact Spotify and ask what’s up?

How do you know they didn’t?

This is clearly a Sonos issue, as it began after the latest update. Spotify plays fine on every other device in my home. The Sonos app shows all my Spotify data (playlists, liked songs, followed artists, suggested playlists, new releases, etc…) and will occasionally play a few song before losing the connection, both wired AND wifi I’m now finding.

I’m betting that it’s an issue with the handling of Spotify’s preferred amount of cache or some type of keep-alive interval problem.

We could easily troubleshoot this by being allowed to retrograde to the last rev but no, they claim they “...don’t have the ability to do that.”

Badge

I’ve been having the same issue for weeks, since the last Sonos Update probably. Is there anyway I cal install an old Sonos version to check against?

I’ve a Draytek router, 4 x Linksys Velops, 2 x Sonos One, 2 x Sonos Play 5 and when playing from the Sonos App from my PC to my Sonos Play 5 it will play some but before you know it will come up with “Unable to play ‘xxx’ - the connection to Spotify was lost.”. I’ve rebooted router, changed wifi channel, rescanned wifi channels on Velops, everything is on the latest firmwares and its just a real PITA.

Even when you ask Alexa to play lets say Coldplay on the Sonos One she replies with “Playing Coldplay from Spotify” and I now applaude if it actually plays because more often than not it just goes silent! Yet ask Alexa to play Coldplay on Amazon Music and perfect, every time.

Come on Sonos, fix this issue please, I want my Spotify working again!!!

Colin.

Another Orbi/Sonos usere here… I am experiencing the same problem - when I try to play a song using Spotify Premium via a mobile app or Desktop app I get an error ("Unable to play song-name - the connection to Spotify was lost").

My setup and symptoms are very similar to what other folks are reporting here: 

• Orbi Mesh in use
  • Cisco DPC3825 
  • Orbi RBR50, V2.3.5.30
  • Sonos/Spotify combo worked flawlessly since 2015 until about 2 weeks ago (Early May 2020)
  • Tried dozens of fixes: rebooting, removing accounts, updating, trying different accounts
  • No VPN in use
  • No other networking devices in use
  • Orbi: Parental Control, Access Controls and Pausing is set correctly
  • One in 30 attempts to play a Spotify song will work, the issue returns then
  • Spotify app works fine - Spotify works fine on Google Nest, Google Home and Echo devices
  • All other music services work fine on Sonos (e.g., Amazon Music, Google Play, Pandora, etc.)
  • Given a major runaround by Sonos support
  • I have a 5, two 3s and four 1s in my home config
  • My controlers are: iPhone, iPad, two PCs and two Mac devices
  • This is a side note but I have to squeeze it here - I’ve spent over $10K on Sonos gear over years (home and business) and I was an evangelist - loved the co and the product with all my heart. I pursuaded numerous folks into buying Sonos - I loved it and wanted to share the experience…. Today, I am frustrated and this fanboy is turing into a disgruntled user...

Userlevel 1
Badge

How do you know they didn’t?

How do you know they did?  Because it isn’t fixed.

How do you know they did?  Because it isn’t fixed.

There is no way you can draw that conclusion.  They could have contacted Spotify and been told to piss off.  Fact remains, complaining directly to Spotify is your best route of action.  You are the one who pays them, not Sonos. 

Is anyone making any headway?

I have had the same set up [Spotify Prem, Sonos, Orbi etc] for years with only the odd interruption which where easily sorted.

Now Spotify is unusable through Sonos - even if I manage to get a song to play the chances of interacting with it is non existent!

My case has been “...escalated to engineering.” Ooooooh, sounds so serious.

Funny part is the email with the link to schedule a call with them recommended that I not only share my wifi network and password but that I share my screen and allow them to take control of my computer’s mouse and keyboard.

Also, I imagine Sonos would lead with that. Why go through hours of troubleshooting.” As far as I can tell, the connection is Sonos app > Spotify app > Sonos Connect. If that’s the case, then the latest Sonos app update broke the connection between their app and Spotify, otherwise again, they would lead with “Spotify changed their app, not our fault, call them.”

Moderator Note: Post edited for language

With an attitude like that, I’m sure the Engineers are tripping over themselves to help you out.  I know I would be. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

With an attitude like that, I’m sure the Engineers are tripping over themselves to help you out.  I know I would be. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I’ve played errand boy and bench tech for their phone support team for several hours and been given inaccurate info, scripted responses and disconnected several times. In all interactions, I have been courteous, respectful and receptive, now my patience has run out. I bought the “Connect” so I could stream music on my phone, but Sonos took that away. I started using Pandora, but that had a bunch of noise between songs with Sonos (sounds fine when streamed from app) so I switched to Spotify. Now that Sonos has killed that, I’m left with a brick.

So, what would you suggest my attitude be?   Grateful?   Encouraged?   Content?

I’ve played errand boy and bench tech for their phone support team for several hours and been given inaccurate info, scripted responses and disconnected several times. In all interactions, I have been courteous, respectful and receptive, now my patience has run out. I bought the “Connect” so I could stream music on my phone, but Sonos took that away. I started using Pandora, but that had a bunch of noise between songs with Sonos (sounds fine when streamed from app) so I switched to Spotify. Now that Sonos has killed that, I’m left with a brick.

So, what would you suggest my attitude be?   Grateful?   Encouraged?   Content?

At no point should one ever, for any reason, be obnoxious to people who are trying to help you.  I’ve had more than a few experiences with Sonos Support, and looking back on those; I am inclined to believe your story has a few holes in it, not to mention a big helping of after-the-fact-self-rationalization for a poor attitude. 

Also, you came in here with gun-a-blazing, with a not so subtle, provocative username, yet none of us ever had any interaction with you before in our lives.  This is but another clue that your attitude starts out poor from the start.   

So let’s face it, you are a guy who likes to rant.  Well, you came to the wrong place.  Now why don’t you reel it in a few fathoms, start being respectful, and maybe, just maybe, we can help you.  Keep acting like a child, and that’s the way you will be treated.

At no point should one ever, for any reason, be obnoxious to people who are trying to help you.  I’ve had more than a few experiences with Sonos Support, and looking back on those; I am inclined to believe your story has a few holes in it, not to mention a big helping of after-the-fact-self-rationalization for a poor attitude. 

Also, you came in here with gun-a-blazing, with a not so subtle, provocative username, yet none of us ever had any interaction with you before in our lives.  This is but another clue that your attitude starts out poor from the start.   

So let’s face it, you are a guy who likes to rant.  Well, you came to the wrong place.  Now why don’t you reel it in a few fathoms, start being respectful, and maybe, just maybe, we can help you.  Keep acting like a child, and that’s the way you will be treated. 

You know nothing about me nor my previous convos with Sonos phone support except what I have told you which, again, was “In all interactions, I have been courteous, respectful and receptive.” Your pontificating diatribe, while artfully worded, is unwarranted, unwelcome and unnecessary. I must wonder why you have a zero tolerance policy.

I’m experiencing this issue too. Anyone have any luck addressing it?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I saw there was a new Spotify update today for IOS, however it did not fix the problem. Just out of curiosity ERJ_Teach, do you have the ORBI system as well? 

I saw there was a new Spotify update today for IOS, however it did not fix the problem. Just out of curiosity ERJ_Teach, do you have the ORBI system as well? 

Nope! I’m on RCN internet with a regular old modem/router combo, an Arris.

Spent about 1.5 hours with Spotify chat support yesterday. They escalated my issue but they don’t seem to get it. I’m waiting for them to tell me it’s just a Sonos issue.

I’m having this problem on all sorts of devices.

The issue of Spotify Connect not playing through my Sonos is present on:

• Spotify web player (in Mozilla Firefox) Spotify desktop app on two different laptops (both are Windows 10, one is on a wired connection, one is on wifi - one Spotify client can "see" the Sonos but can't connect, the other doesn't "see" the Sonos at all)
  • Spotify Android app (Sonos is visible in Spotify connect, but it doesn't connect)
  • Sonos Android app (can browse library, but when I attempt to play the song I get the error: "Unable to play SONG NAME. Connection to Spotify has been lost.")
  • Sonos Desktop app (can browse library, but when I attempt to play the song I get the error: "Unable to play SONG NAME. Connection to Spotify has been lost.")   Everything worked fine until about 5/15 when the issue spontaneously began occurring.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Similar issue that I’m having is discussed here:  https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/spotify-song-not-encoded-correctly-6841068

Not an Orbi user though.  I’ve got Eero, but using SonosNet.  I’m convinced it’s ongoing issues between Sonos and Spotify and not any issue in my home.  I’m hopeful that Sonos Engineering is focused on launch of S2 app instead of fixing bugs and that this will magically go away in the new app.

Badge

Add me to the list of frustrated Sonos/Spotify users.   Similar problem (using NetGear WNDR4300 router) “Unable to play "Song Title"… “Connect to Spotify was lost.”   For me, it’s curious that the interruption terminates the current song, then skips over exactly one more song in the play list, and launches the following song on the playlist.   The error messages are varied, but the skipping phenomenon is consistent.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just cancelled my Spotify Premium until one of the two gets their act together.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well, Sonos’s new S1 update rolled out and still not fixed.  Looks like this isn’t a big deal for either company. Too bad I can’t simply roll back the software to when it did work.  Look’s like Amazon Music will be my main go to.  Any recommendations for services available in Spotify’s price range with a large librairy available?

Badge

Well, Sonos’s new S1 update rolled out and still not fixed.  Looks like this isn’t a big deal for either company. Too bad I can’t simply roll back the software to when it did work.  Look’s like Amazon Music will be my main go to.  Any recommendations for services available in Spotify’s price range with a large librairy available?

I have to agree with you S1 did not change anything for me whatsoever, still get the issues on a regular basis. Funny how I get no issues when airplaying from my mobile to the speakers from Spotify.

Come on SONOS, sort this out please, it’s clearly an issue as several have now reported it!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well. I just upgraded my firmware for my ORBI mesh to 2.5.1.16 and the problem “Cannot connect to Spotify connection was lost” has seemed to have disappeared. After a month of not being able to connect to ONLY Spotify it seems to have resolved the problem!

Badge

Well. I just upgraded my firmware for my ORBI mesh to 2.5.1.16 and the problem “Cannot connect to Spotify connection was lost” has seemed to have disappeared.

Give it a few days and report back please. I’m using Linksys Velop, on latest firmware and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Couldn’t get anything from it last night no matter how much I tried, playing from Tune-in works seemlessly each and every time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well. I just upgraded my firmware for my ORBI mesh to 2.5.1.16 and the problem “Cannot connect to Spotify connection was lost” has seemed to have disappeared.

Give it a few days and report back please. I’m using Linksys Velop, on latest firmware and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Couldn’t get anything from it last night no matter how much I tried, playing from Tune-in works seemlessly each and every time.

Will do.  A lot of the people on this thread had ORBI mesh systems.  I’m anxious to hear if by upgrading firmware resolves their issues as well.