Answered

Unable to play "Song Title" - the connection to Spotify was lost

Userlevel 1

I emailed Sonos with details of an error at the weekend - got a message promising a reply within 24 hours but have heard nothing - so though I would try here.

In the past few week Spotify (Premium Family members) has become completely redundant on our Sonos system.  None of us are able to play any Spotify tracks on Sonos - either from the Spotify app or from the Sonos Controller app.

We have been through all of the suggestions (rebooting, removing Sonos, removing Spotify, checking Wi-Fi connection etc) and nothing has fixed it.

We can stream from our Music Library to all devices (so we assume wi-fi is working fine ) and we can stream internet radio stations (so we assume Sonos has internet connection).

I have submitted support diagnostics reference 1445143747.

Any suggestions much appreciated

icon

Best answer by ghostsup 14 June 2020, 10:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Greetings,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having issues after attempting to reset the network and Sonos. Does Spotify play outside of Sonos without issues?

Please provide the following information to have a better understanding on how your Sonos setup works, there are many reasons that could explain the issue you are experiencing and this will help to pinpoint the cause:

1. The make and model of the Router you are using.

2. Please list the controllers you have attempted to connect to the Sonos system (iPhone, iPad, Android device, PC or Mac).

3. Do you have any additional networking devices? This could include wireless network extenders, network switches and power line adapters (not other Laptops, Gaming Consoles, NAS drives). If so please provide the make and model numbers (usually found on the device).

4. Are you using any VPNs on your mobile controllers or a PiHole?

As a test I would ask you to temporarily connect one of your Sonos products into the router (or mesh provided you are using Wi-Fi from the mesh system), and try again.

Userlevel 1

Hi Sebastien

Thanks for the reply.  I have since had a case logged (#01709691) which suggested changing my wfi to Ch11 - but this has not fixed the problem and I have emailed back but not heard anything.

I can confirm that Spotify works outside of Sonos (on my our Android devices, PC and can connect phone to TV speakers and Bluetooth speakers) but continues to not work on Sonos - we can play a max of 6 tracks and then the error message keeps returning ‘Unable to play "Song Title" - the connection to Spotify was lost’.  All other Sonos services seem to be working fine.  I will add that Sonos had been working perfectly with our current set up for quite some time - we have not changed anything (so assume an update somewhere has caused the issue?)

To answer your questions:-

1. Internet > BT Homehub (with wifi disabled) > Netgear Orbi RBR20 (as router) > and then three Netgear Orbi RBS20 around the house (as Satellites)
  2. Android phones (x4) - all now have the same issue (had been working fine), PC (same issue)
  3. Only as described in 1
  4. No

Its not practical to try connecting Sonos using a wired connection at the moment (my wife is wfh and we cannot play with the network until this evening) - I will try that later today.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions that you may have - I’m sure you appreciate just how frustrating it is for us to not be able to listen to music on Spotify at the moment.

Regards

Mark

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

It’s frustrating and I understand that. Have you first encountered this issue after a system update? If not, would you mind explaining how long this issue occurs?

Try these step if you are still encountering streaming issues:

• Disable Parental Controls for the Sonos device via Circle or Standard Parental Controls.
    • Orbi app main screen or web interface → Parental Controls 
  • Disable Access Controls for the Sonos device. 
    • Orbi web interface → Access Control
  • Confirm that the Sonos device is not paused within the Orbi app.
    • Orbi app main screen → Device List
Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same exact issue and use an Orbi wifi setup too.  Spotify works without issue independently, but I cannot play Spotify over Sonos.  This happens about 5 times out of 7.  Some days it works ok.  The frequency of the error seems to have dramatically increased since updating to the latest Sonos OS.  Prior to the update, this error would happen maybe 1 out of 50 times.

I can confirm that the Orbi settings above have all been checked as well.

Same here.

I’ve followed the default steps and still… “Unable to play "Song Title" - the connection to Spotify was lost.”

It began today and I haven’t noticed any updates from Spotify or Sonos today, 07/may/2020.

:(

I would really appreciate an update to this thread.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@herbert_mas Thanks for chiming in. There’s currently a Spotify outage at this moment. Please keep an eye out feel free to check in on the progress at https://status.sonos.com/

Let me know if your problems persists once this outage has been resolved. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

This has been happening to me as well for the past week.  Cannot connect to Spotify but can connect to other music services fine.  I have the Orbi Mesh as well. Also, the Spotify status is totally operational on the status page.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Mind letting me know the brand and model of your modem (ISP) and your Orbi Mesh system (for example, RBk33, RB5K50, etc.) as well if it is a separate device? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sure.  Cox is the ISP 300/30.  Modem is a Netgear CM1100 (not Cox) and the Orbi is the RBK53S-100NAS (router sat plus 2 seperate sats).  Like I said, this appears to only be a Spotify problem connecting with the Sonos.  All other music services are working fine.  I added Amazon Prime as primary for Alexa and it plays without hesitation to the Sonos take 3’s.  If spotify is selected it’s a no go.  Can’t play Spotify to Sonos through any device including the desktop app (Sonos as well as Spotify’s).

Thank you for your consideration Sebastien!

I have the exact same issue currently.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

No problem at all. I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing issues when you’re trying to initiate playback from Spotify. Can you tell me, are you trying to play directly from the Spotify app using direct control or through the Sonos app?

As a test I would ask you to temporarily connect one of your Sonos products into the router (preferably the main Orbi router), and let me know if the problem continues with Spotify.

I know that’s not directed towards me, but I am using the Sonos app...will try that later.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @dkellerd

Sorry, I did not noticed your post. But please let me know what happens after trying these steps I have provided previously. 

Same problem here. Started happening a month or two ago after years of working fine. Also on an Orbi mesh wifi network, but nothing has changed about our setup in a long time. Songs will fail to play 9/10 times, and occasionally work. Works fine when on a wired connection, but that is not an option for the room where we have our Sonos device. We have tried all the normal power off/on of Sonos and router, changing wifi channels, etc. Music from other services will play fine -- it's just Spotify over WiFi that is broken. Super weird and frustrating.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem here. Started happening a month or two ago after years of working fine. Also on an Orbi mesh wifi network, but nothing has changed about our setup in a long time. Songs will fail to play 9/10 times, and occasionally work. Works fine when on a wired connection, but that is not an option for the room where we have our Sonos device. We have tried all the normal power off/on of Sonos and router, changing wifi channels, etc. Music from other services will play fine -- it's just Spotify over WiFi that is broken. Super weird and frustrating.

That is the odd thing about this!  Makes you wonder if it’s an ORBI/Spotify issue.  Everything worked perfectly until about a week to 2 weeks ago.  I know I haven’t updated ORBI and it’s on the most current firmware which leads me to believe Spotify screwed something up on one of their current updates.  Also wonder if this is only happening with ORBI specific owners.

I have the same issue but it’s not new, has been happening for nearly six months now. So frustrating!

Apple music works fine, Sonos radio works fine, Tunein works fine...only Spotify has this problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still having this issue.  Spotify is useless with Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi folks,

This is frustrating and understand that. At this point, I would like to move your cases over to our phone team , we can do more advanced troubleshooting with you in live time at your earliest convenience.  

So we should all call in and file separate cases for this issue?  Anything else we should know before calling?  What’s the phone number?

thanks!

I think if you click on the link in his post, called ‘phone team’, you’ll be taken to where the phone number for your region is listed. 

I think if you click on the link in his post, called ‘phone team’, you’ll be taken to where the phone number for your region is listed. 

Thanks...totally missed the link.

“Phone team” link takes you to the same 800 number everybody else gets. I’m about to try the HQ number (Santa Barbara, 805-965-3001) to see if I can get anywhere.

I’ve been having the same Spotify issue since the last update. Hours on the phone with tech support have finally gotten my case “escalated” to an engineer. They blamed my router, they blamed my modem, they blamed my wifi channel...everything they could to distance themselves from culpability. Bare in mind, all my other devices play Spotify fine on the same network and all my other streaming choices work fine on Sonos.

So yes, EVERYBODY should call in and generate a trouble ticket. Hopefully it will force them to act, if nothing else allow us to retrograde their stupid update.

“Phone team” link takes you to the same 800 number everybody else gets. I’m about to try the HQ number (Santa Barbara, 805-965-3001) to see if I can get anywhere.

I’ve been having the same Spotify issue since the last update. Hours on the phone with tech support have finally gotten my case “escalated” to an engineer. They blamed my router, they blamed my modem, they blamed my wifi channel...everything they could to distance themselves from culpability. Bare in mind, all my other devices play Spotify fine on the same network and all my other streaming choices work fine on Sonos.

So yes, EVERYBODY should call in and generate a trouble ticket. Hopefully it will force them to act, if nothing else allow us to retrograde their stupid update.

Sounds about like what I expected to get from phone support...which is why I hesitate to even call.  I’m a network engineer by trade so blaming the network gets frustrating lol.  But I’ll call in as well so it’ll help the greater good.

Sounds about like what I expected to get from phone support...which is why I hesitate to even call.  I’m a network engineer by trade so blaming the network gets frustrating lol.  But I’ll call in as well so it’ll help the greater good.

Same, every other service works fine except Spotify.

So is the solution to drop Spotify or drop Sonos?

Getting rid of Sonos is obviously an expensive exercise because we’ve all sunk money into Sonos devices.

Will I upgrade to the new Sonos Arc now with this still unresolved? No way!!

Maybe if I write a sentence about how Spotify doesn’t work on Sonos and that Spotify definitely won’t work on the new Sonos Arc then this page will rank in Google for Sonos Arc and we might get this fixed.

Userlevel 1
Badge

One would think that Sonos would take some issue with this resolve considering all the people that have problems with this. I for one am not going to spend hours on the phone with some tech that knows nothing about resolving this issue, as I’m not getting paid to do so.  Fix it.