"Unable to play connection to slacker was lost"

• 24 January 2014
  • 6 replies

Again. This is a near-weekly problem. Some days it is fixed in an hour, others it is gone most of the day. Why does Sonos need to inject their servers in between the user and the Slacker system in the first place? My TiVo, Blu Ray Player, Roku, and Onkyo receiver do not do this. It is a direct consumer-to-service experience on those devices. Sonos is the only one that routes ALL customer play requests through Sonos servers. Data gathering and privacy issues are one concern but I'm much more aggravated that the Sonos server software continually fails to provide a stable service! Please fix this! http://www.charlestonsw.com/sonos-services-little-secret/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +3
Lance,

Slacker experienced a brief outage yesterday which lasted for a few hours and disrupted operation on Sonos.  The problem was corrected and the service has been fully functional since yesterday afternoon.  I apologize for the frustration this interruption caused.

Outages like this are not a common occurrence with Slacker, it sounds like you're experiencing problems more often than normal.  We'd be happy to investigate this on your behalf, if you could start by submitting a diagnostic and replying back with the confirmation number, we can see what might be causing the more frequent interruptions you've experienced.

To be clear, Sonos does not send all play requests through Sonos servers.  There are four servers of ours which act as intermediaries between Spotify, Amazon, SiriusXM, and Deezer, but Slacker is not one of them.  We can provide you with the SOAP endpoint run by Slacker which is where your players go for play requests.  You can also of course verify this yourself using Wireshark.

What information Sonos does and does not collect can be found in our privacy policy.  You have the option to opt out of providing usage data to Sonos.  Note that Sonos explicitly does not collect information on what you play.  If you have any questions on this information, we'll be happy to answer them.

Thank you,

John
Userlevel 2
Hey John,

Question: With the number of people reporting this issue, as often as they are, wouldn't this indicate some recurring problem either on Slackers or Sonos' side?

In going through the original thread, it shows at least 6 occurrences in the last 2 months. And there seems to be at least a couple other threads where people are reporting the same issue.

About 5 minutes ago I starting having the problem again (confirmation number is: 3383552) all the sudden. My Slacker station was playing for about 10-15 minutes, then started error-ing out. Now I can't play it.

Note: When I originally provided my diagnostic as requested, I never heard back from anyone at Sonos support. So, if you're going to ask for diagnostics, it would be good for a support person to either post a response to each person in the forum they posted in, or send a follow-up email. 

Thanks for your time and consideration!
Hey John,

Question: With the number of people reporting this issue, as often as they are, wouldn't this indicate some recurring problem either on Slackers or Sonos' side?

In going through the original thread, it shows at least 6 occurrences in the last 2 months. And there seems to be at least a couple other threads where people are reporting the same issue.

About 5 minutes ago I starting having the problem again (confirmation number is: 3383552) all the sudden. My Slacker station was playing for about 10-15 minutes, then started error-ing out. Now I can't play it.

Note: When I originally provided my diagnostic as requested, I never heard back from anyone at Sonos support. So, if you're going to ask for diagnostics, it would be good for a support person to either post a response to each person in the forum they posted in, or send a follow-up email. 

Thanks for your time and consideration!

I agree, am having the same issue with tunein and Sonos needs to work more closely on the IT side with theee vendors or I'm starting to feel very unhappy with sonos!
I have been having this problem for a YEAR now and have sent in MULTIPLE diag reports with no resolution... go back and forth with the reps for a few weeks, then they just stop responding. If you put "slacker" in the "Ask a question" section you will see multiple people with this issue. I have put off purchasing ANY new SONOS until this gets resolved.
@Bruce - Same here.   I wanted to add a Play 1 and Sound Bar to my setup, but not until the Sonos Slacker API is fixed.   I have a "cannot ban/love" problem I reported months ago an is 100% reproducible.   When playing Slacker if you BAN a song the server gets "stuck" and does not process the request.    The only way to get Sonos to connect to Slacker properly and start processing ban/love requests is to first skip a song.  From that point forward it works.

It is absolutely NOT a network related issue.  

It is definitely a Sonos coding issue on the Sonos Server to Slacker Server communications via the Slacker API.    NONE of my other devices have this issue with Slacker on my LAN.  TiVo, Roku, Panasonic Blu Ray, several tablet apps, phone apps.  The ONLY service that will not ban/skip songs is Sonos. Luckily I found the "skip song" workaround which is great for songs I want to ban, but not viable for "love song".

Kind of lame that Sonos has had me submit a dozen debug reports and spend hours back-and-forth with support for them to drop the ball every time.  Especially after $1500 worth of Sonos equipment investments to date.  :/
Badge
I fixed this on my system. It isn't a great fix, but it works.

1. Wire one of your Sonos units to your network
2. You have to let it use the Sonos mesh net, you can't run your Sonos units off your wireless any more
3. Whenever you want to listen to a Slacker station, you have to have the wired unit as the group controller. Click the GROUP button next to the wired unit, group your other units, and play the Slacker station using that group. You can mute the wired one or have it at zero volume, it will still work.

I now have no problems with Slacker.

I believe this is a problem with Slacker's implementation. Something they're sending (maybe a keep-alive or a periodic account validation check) kills the stream to Sonos in certain wireless networks. Most networks are fine, but some are affected and there is no fix on the consumer's end. Believe me, I have business class equipment with granular control over bandwidth shaping, firewall, signal throttling, service prioritization, etc. I was able to improve the time between failures, but I couldn't ever get it stable.