Question

Unable to play

• 18 January 2017
  • 1 reply

Having added a new iOS device to our household and installed the SONOS app, our existing devices now show the error message "Unable to play song 'XYZ' because 'new device' is unavailable. Launch the Sonos controller on 'new device' to enable playback"....any help would be gratefully received

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I think you've set your music library up on a device that isn't "permanently" turned on. Not sure whether that's an iPhone (which probably is on all the time), a PC/Mac, or an iPad. But wherever your music source is, it needs to be turned on and connected to your network at all times. Many people who use Sonos drop their music onto a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device, so that it's permanently "on" and availalble. I keep mine mostly on an iPad that stays plugged in and "on" in my bedroom, and play mostly off of that.

Do you know where you set up your music library to play from in Sonos? Is that machine on and permanently connected to your system? Have you tried a streaming solution like Tunein, etc, to test to see that the speakers do work even when you're getting that error?