Unable to load pcdcr.dll

• 18 July 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi, I have read all the threads about this issue but can't seem to find the solution for my new laptop. I have run the Sonos S1 controller app with no issues with my former Windows 10 laptop. I just acquired a new laptop and tried installing the app but keep running into the same error message.

The app installs with no problem but when trying to launch it, I get the following error message: "Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please re-install”

I have deleted and reinstalled multiple times but to no avail.

Here is my system details:

Device name    LAPTOP-4I6I7JU6
Processor    AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics            1.80 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.35 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎7/‎2/‎2021
OS build    19042.1110
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Any help is appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Romain Let US,

This is a fairly rare error with the desktop controller and in my experience is usually caused by an older version of the .NET framework. I suggest uninstalling the Sonos app (if still installed in any capacity), then checking the Windows update center for any updates relating to .NET. If there are any, please install them and reboot your laptop, then try to install the desktop controller again.

Let me know how you get on.

I am having this exact issue and have read thru several threads and tried everything and nothing works.  I am using Windows 8.1.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I care to tell you.  I have done very windows update and still nothing.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Now when I go to use Sonos on my phone it keeps tell me my sonos system needs to be updated which cannot do on PC and tells me to reauthorize my Spotify, Pandora and ITunes account but when I go to those apps individually on my phone, all are signed on.  How would I re-verify these so that at least I can use sonos with my Android Samsung S9+ phone...right now the only thing I can do is listen to IHeart radio thru sonos using phone. And my app on my phone is up to date.  Thank you

You should update your Sonos while using the controller on your phone, although technically it should work on the PC for updates, just not for adding new speakers.

Re-authorizing an account in Sonos should be as easy as removing that service from the Sonos controller and then re-adding it. You wouldn’t reauthorize by using another company’s app.

Windows 8.1 is a fairly old OS, but is still supported, according to the Sonos FAQ.

What version of the controller is on your PC?

When you search for updates when using your controller on the phone, Settings/System/System Updates/Check for Updates, does anything come up?

What version of the app are you running on your phone?

Thank you for helping me fix the reauthorize issue but the bigger issue I am having is on my PC

I keep getting the message: "Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please re-install” The app installs with no problem but when trying to launch it but I get the unable to load pcdcr.dll. please reinstall.  I have uninstalled program more times than I would like, I have updated my windows system with all of the latest updates (i am still using Windows 8.1)  ANy other suggestions?  Thanks

Not offhand, no. As the Sonos rep above indicated, this is apparently an issue with the .NET framework from Microsoft. 

The best I can suggest is searching for the latest download of .NET for Windows 8.1 and reinstalling that on your PC. Or updating to a newer version of Windows, which likely isn’t something you’re anxious to do. 

Thank you for helping me fix the reauthorize issue but the bigger issue I am having is on my PC

I keep getting the message: "Unable to load pcdcr.dll. Please re-install” The app installs with no problem but when trying to launch it but I get the unable to load pcdcr.dll. please reinstall.  I have uninstalled program more times than I would like, I have updated my windows system with all of the latest updates (i am still using Windows 8.1)  ANy other suggestions?  Thanks

Perhaps see this YT video to activate the .net framework on Windows 10. (I suggest you perhaps mute the audio whilst watching the onscreen instructions). HTH

Hi @James L. 

Thanks for the suggestion but I have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count at this point.

@Ken_Griffiths  : I also followed your advice and activated the .net framework but I still get the same error message.

Any other suggestions on this topic?

Thanks!

Hi @James L. 

Thanks for the suggestion but I have uninstalled and reinstalled more times than I can count at this point.

@Ken_Griffiths  : I also followed your advice and activated the .net framework but I still get the same error message.

Any other suggestions on this topic?

Thanks!

Having activated/installed it, did you check for any updates to the .net framework. The current version I believe is v4.8. See this link: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework