Answered

unable to connect using an ipad

• 11 April 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi there, just recently Sonos S2 on my iPad loses connection to the speakers and is unable to reconnect. I have tried all the things suggested -reboot router, turn off /on speakers, reinstalled S2 app. Sometimes it does then find them but will only work for a short while, and when I go back into the app, no they’re not there again! Works ok on my android phone and wife’s iPhone briefly, then that stopped working as well.  I have not done anything to the router or changed any network settings. It was working ok about a week ago, although it had started to occasionally drop out a few weeks before that.  iPad version 12.5.2. Seems to be apple products?

When I first had Sonos it was really stable but now issues seem to be more prevalent. So, any ideas greatly received, as this is getting really frustrating and I’m on the verge of ditching the whole lot for something that does work!  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 14 April 2021, 16:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The latest version of S2 supports iPasOS 13 or newer. I don’t know if that is the issue but worth trying to update the iPad, if possible.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

my ipad is telling me it’s up to date but will try to get it to new version if I can, very frustrating but thanks for replying 

Hi there, just to let you know this was resolved by turning off 5.0GHz on the router and just leaving it on 2.4GHz  frequency - found another thread on this community which mentioned this, so I tried it and it worked.  Quite why having the two frequencies causes this problem with iPad and iPhone I don’t know, my Android phone had no issues, so I’m assuming it’s Apple devices and not the Sonos itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

HI @Paul Dann 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That sounds like your router is having trouble bridging communications across 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Is it, by any chance, a BT Smart Hub 2 that you have?

Hi @Corry P  - funnily enough it is a BT Smart Hub 2 we have.  It was working ok (ish) on with the Sonos, with only the odd drop out, up until about 2 weeks ago.  But recently  it just doesn’t want to know.  If I reboot the router, the connection to Sonos mostly re-establishes itself  but will only last for a few hours, then gone again.  Switching off the 5.0GHz band seems to fix it - but also seems to be a retrograde step.

If you’ve any other suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Paul Dann 

I thought it might be. Please check this recent post of mine on another similar thread (specifically, the part in blue):

Thanks.

So, this all seems to work now - both ipad and iphone connect okay.  However, if it’s purely to do with the BT Smart Hub 2 router, then I wonder why was my Android phone not affected - just a thought?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So, this all seems to work now - both ipad and iphone connect okay.  However, if it’s purely to do with the BT Smart Hub 2 router, then I wonder why was my Android phone not affected - just a thought?

Although it seems to be the router at fault, only iOS devices are affected - I’m really not sure why this is.

We consider disabling 5GHz a workaround, rather than a fix, as if you internet connection is faster than about 60 Mbps, you won’t get the full speed over the 2.4GHz connection.