Unable to connect to Sonos player--again and again and again and again

• 18 January 2015
  • 9 replies

Hello, I am having significant, persistent problems with my Sonos player. I have a PC connected to a bridge, and four speakers connected. The system worked perfectly for two+ years. Then, it stopped. I receive a number of error messages, including "unable to connect to Sonos player" and that the sonos player cannot find my sonos system. With the last error, the sonos program encourages me to ensure that the wireless network is working and that the Sonos system is connected to the same network. Both, of course, are not the issue. In fact, I will unplug my router entirely for 30 seconds, plug everything back in, and the Sonos player will play for a few songs, only to suddenly cut out for no apparent reason. Please help. I am extremely frustrated. After having enjoyed my Sonos system for a long while, I am beginning to think that the system is a failure, or that recent updates (which I installed) were profoundly flawed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Thomas, this sounds indeed frustrating. It might be the best to submit diagnostics from the controller app and call sonos and paste the confirmation number in here so they can pick up. The phone option is certainly faster.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Thomas,

It sounds like your Sonos system is losing communication with your router from time to time. To see if this case, and how we might fix it, we'd like to view some data from your system. Please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. How to submit diagnostics.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I sent the diagnostics. The confirmation number is 4307116. When I turned Sonos on this time, it did not recognize my system (which is the usual state of affairs). To make sure the physical connection existed with my bridge, I wiggled the cord connecting the bridge to the route and all of a sudden it recognized the Sonos system. Could this be a physical connectivity issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Thomas,

Your Sonos components are losing their network information pretty frequently. This is likely due the the ethernet connection between the BRIDGE and your router. Please try replacing that ethernet cable. Each Sonos speaker comes with a cable, so hopefully you have a spare.
Thomas neatly sums up Sonos in the words "profoundly flawed". A system that works only spasmodically is a crap system. I'm happy to concede that those who offer helpful suggestions such as "report diagnostics" and "check connections" may well do so in good faith, but it's disingenuous to suggest that addressing such fundamental problems in these ways will cure them: at best it will fix them temporarily - and in my experience, this means till the next day or sooner. It's deeply cynical and dishonest to market Sonos products as reliable, and those who do so and those who install them are frauds and conmen who deserve to suffer the full force of the law for their crookery and misrepresentation. There should be a special inner circle of hell reserved for the evil vandals who rip out reliable systems only to install this unreliable crap - and, moreover, crap that's known to be unreliable. I am ready and willing to join a class action against the perpetrators with the aim of ensuring they are fined and thrown into jail where they belong. **** you, Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
T....blah blah blah...

Hi,

You clearly misunderstand the reality of the situation. Sonos products are exceptionally reliable. However, like any wireless network based solution, they require an excellent wireless environment to operate on. To facilitate this, they even sell wireless products specifically designed to support the operation of their products. If your system is not rock solid, it certainly can be.

If you have a reasonable and polite question as to how to get your system operating in a stable way, feel free to post back providing some description and many people here in the "community" will be happy to offer suggestions. If you wish to continue to simply rant and complain about a problem with foul language, I suspect you can expect your posts to be deleted because of the language.

Best
@SHARKB8T: The post content and choice of username have been reported. My advice to you and any users who might be tempted to assist: Don't.

If there's any legitimacy to his/her gripes then Sonos Support can deal with it in the usual way on receipt of a system diagnostic.
Thanks SHARKB8T,

If that B8T is intended to read "bait", I'll try not to rise to it.

It is clear that it is you who "misunderstand the reality of the situation". If you continue to insist "Sonos products are exceptionally reliable", you expose yourself as either a fanatic or having a vested interest and fatally undermine your credibility. No-one is likely to believe anything you say. You have no idea of the lengths to which I've been to ensure the "wireless environment" is as robust as it can possibly be, including being suckered into buying the "specifically designed" products claimed to enhance reliability.

I suggest you try to look at my comments from the point of view of a user who has suffered persistent problems since the outset, acted upon advice offered, and still suffers similarly. Then go ahead and divert attention by complaining about language that offends your innocent ears, if you want. If you can suggest alternative words that adequately reflect the frustration caused by inherently flawed Sonos products and the crooks who install them, I will gladly substitute them for those I consider appropriate.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thanks SHARKB8T,

If that B8T is intended to read "bait", I'll try not to rise to it.

It is clear that it is you who "misunderstand the reality of the situation". If you continue to insist "Sonos products are exceptionally reliable", you expose yourself as either a fanatic or having a vested interest and fatally undermine your credibility. No-one is likely to believe anything you say. You have no idea of the lengths to which I've been to ensure the "wireless environment" is as robust as it can possibly be, including being suckered into buying the "specifically designed" products claimed to enhance reliability.

I suggest you try to look at my comments from the point of view of a user who has suffered persistent problems since the outset, acted upon advice offered, and still suffers similarly. Then go ahead and divert attention by complaining about language that offends your innocent ears, if you want. If you can suggest alternative words that adequately reflect the frustration caused by inherently flawed Sonos products and the crooks who install them, I will gladly substitute them for those I consider appropriate.

Hey FlipSonos, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems there. In my experience Sonos is highly reliable in itself, but it all works with your own home network as it's backbone. That needs to be compatible. If the issue is not with your network and is with the devices themselves then we'd have no problem sending you replacements. Please do get back us with a diagnostic report, a description of the issues you are encountering and also of your home network. What we need to know is just the make&model of your router, and any switches, extenders or access points you may have in use.