Answered

Unable to Connect to Sonos after a few minutes of being connected - Multiple times

• 5 June 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a few Play 1s and a couple of Play 5s at home and havent had many issues up until recently.  A couple of months ago, music stopped playing midstream and checked Sonos App on iphone to get it to play again.  App said it could not connect to the system.  After some reading I tried unplugging all the speakers, resetting modem and speakers plugging back in.  Found them again on the network.  This lasted maybe an hour or two before not being able to be found again.  

Multiple resets and still having the issue. 

A few months before problem started, I upgraded to ATT Fiber.  No problem with Sonos, but figured maybe its a connection/router issue.  I connected my old router to the Fiber modem/router and relaunched my old wifi router connection.  Setup Sonos new on that router and worked for about 5 minutes before being unable to connect again.  

Also, I can see the Sonos speakers active on my network when I check for devices that are connected, so they are there and connected to the network and the connection is good, but can’t find them on the app.

Using Sonos S1 app (since I have Play 5 gen 1) on iphone.  

Has anyone else experienced these problems and figured out how to fix?  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 June 2021, 03:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It’s difficult from your description to ascertain exactly what the issue is, there’s several questions that might help folks here track down what’s going on. That being said, it sure sounds like a network issue of some type.

You mentioned you have a fiber connection, which is awesome, but no mention of how you’ve set up your network, and how Sonos is connected to it. If you have a mesh network, for instance, I’d recommend wiring one Sonos device directly to your router, which might clean up the issues. If you don’t have a mesh network, I’d recommend unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting the router (not the modem, unless they’re one and the same). Give it a couple of minutes to reboot, then plug the Sonos back in to the power.

Thats two potential solutions to some of the many network issues you could be experiencing. But if neither fixes your particular issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. 

dpadilia,

I agree that this is likely some sort of network issue. Using two routers on a network is possible, but only if done very carefully, and this will not happen by accident. Without further detail about your network I recommend removing the old router. Your current issue likely caused by your SONOS system using the old router and your controllers using the Fiber router. It is difficult to make this arrangement work correctly. Anyway, because it is newer technology, the Fiber router will more likely offer more effective WiFi.

Are any of your SONOS units wired to the network?