Answered

Unable to connect to sonos

• 18 April 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos one and recently when I play BBC Sounds or Spotify on my iPhone 12 pro  (ios 14.4.2) and try to stream via airplay to the Sonos is get a message saying it can not connect. When I go into the Sonos app it’s says “unable to connect..)

I’ve tried all the standard fixes … switching off and on. Switching the router off and on and resetting the Sonos. Any ideas? 

icon

Best answer by James L. 19 April 2021, 10:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Jamiefm,

Do you happen to have a BT Smarthub 2? If so, BT recently pushed a software update that’s causing some issues for Sonos users that are on iOS 14.4.2. If the iPhone is connecting on the 5ghz interface of the router, temporarily disable 5ghz on the router to force it to connect on 2.4Ghz, then you should be able to connect. If this doesn’t work, I recommend getting in touch with our customer support team who can walk you through implementing this workaround or investigating further into the root cause of your issue.

Hello and thanks. Yes I do have a BT SmartHub 2.  However I have since done a a full reset on my iPhone and seems to be working now. I guess if it happens again it could well be what you suggest and I’ll follow your instructions. 

many thanks 

I e done this work around and it worked for the evening. Seemed to be going well but the next day the same issue resurfaced. I wonder if the splitting is in a future iOS update?

Badge +17

I e done this work around and it worked for the evening. Seemed to be going well but the next day the same issue resurfaced. I wonder if the splitting is in a future iOS update?

Unfortunately the issue is with the BT Smart Hub 2’s firmware. We’ve flagged this with BT and they are aware and working on a resolution. I do encourage you to reach out to BT as well, to let them know you’re experiencing this issue and state that devices connected on 5ghz are not able to communicate with devices connected to 2.4Ghz, and it appears the connections are being erroneously isolated. You don’t need to mention Sonos devices specifically, as the line I’ve given above should be enough for them to understand and log the issue.

Thanks James will do