Question

Unable to connect Sonos to new wifi

I have had a play 3 for 1 year and recently just moved to a new home and am unable to connect the play 3. I was able to create temporary SONOS wifi but unable to progress past that step. I have tried using Ethernet connection as well and still not able to connect. Now, my sonos will not even connect to wifi to begin start up process. Wifi connection in house is working fine for everything else. Thoughts?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Bzdportcity wrote:

I have had a play 3 for 1 year and recently just moved to a new home and am unable to connect the play 3. I was able to create temporary SONOS wifi but unable to progress past that step. I have tried using Ethernet connection as well and still not able to connect. Now, my sonos will not even connect to wifi to begin start up process. Wifi connection in house is working fine for everything else. Thoughts?

If you have a new router, you'll need to either factory reset the Play:3 to get the initial setup process going, or temporarily wire in the Play:3 to the new router. Wiring the Play:3 in should make it easy to connect using the app. Please make sure you are connecting your controller to the main wireless network created by your new router, and not a guest network, or a network created by a wireless extender. Once connected, head into the settings menu of the Sonos app, choose advanced settings, and then wireless setup to teach the Play:3 how to connect to your new network.

If you're still unable to connect, it would be best to have our phone team troubleshoot the issue live. Please give us a call, our phone number is found here.
Why can’t this forum explain that if you can’t find the SONOS WiFi network when setting up a speaker that worked previously, you need to reset the speaker by switching the power off to the speaker, then hold down the mute button on the speaker at the same time as switching the power back on. Keep pressing down on the mute button until you get an orange flashing light - then the app setup will proceed and you’ll find a SONOS temporary WiFi network in the Drop down list of networks in your iPhone or IPad Settings menu.
The reason would be that a factory reset is usually a bad idea and unnecessary. It deletes playlists, favourites and settings. Not to be done unless advised by Sonos Support that there is no alternative.
Well given some of the anguished ‘I can’t connect, or I can’t find the SONOS network’ questions on here and the replies going backwards and forwards that still haven’t solved the problem I reckon most people would sacrifice their playlists for a system that worked. I had to root around for the solution I posted above after spending hours trying to set up a speaker that had worked well previously but which refused to work with a new WiFi router. How to reboot the speaker is poorly explained in this forum and I couldn’t find any help in the SONOS app either or much sense from support when I contacted them online.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

In my experience most of the anguish occurs because users don't follow this advice. They get themselves in a mess trying to reset up the system unnecessarily, without even looking for instructions. I am not saying that is true in every case where there are problems..... just most.

The reason you have struggled to find your 'solution' on the forum is that it is not the solution, except as last resort.
I don’t think this article you refer to is particularly helpful. First of all it doesn’t address the further steps needed if the advice doesn’t work (it didn’t in my case and I was left rooting around for reasons why not). Secondly the article assumes you can get a fix by connecting Ethernet cabling to your router. I have installed a Meraki 33 router which is very fast but has no ethernet ports. The article needs rewriting to include the recommended further steps if a connection is still not made to the WiFi system or of you have a router with no ports for Ethernet.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings