Unable to connect S1 system to new Wifi network

• 20 July 2021
  • 7 replies

I have contracted a new Wifi network (while keeping the previous for a transition period). My S1 system consists of: Bridge, Play3, Connect and    Play5.  
I follow the Sonos recommended procedure (connect one of the units to my router via an ethernet cable, and in the S-app connecting to the new Wifi net). Ok, connection succeds. When I disconnect the cable to the router, connection is lost ! (“Unable to connect to Sonos”).

I have tried the same procedure restarting every S1-unit before disconnecting from the router with same negative result.

The controller is an Ipad with IOS V14.6.

Going back to my old Wifi net, solves of course the problem…

Can anyone help with a solution ??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

To Airgetlam,

The old router is providing internet service through a DSL (30 Mbps) the new router provides service through fiber (100 Mbps). Both routers are Sagemcom (french) model/types unknown because manufactured OEM for the service provider. None of them configured as “mesh. The new router is though supplemented by a Netgear Range Extender (mod EX6110). The latter is switched OFF for these tests ! 

Perhaps see this thread…

Whatever ‘enabling network in the router settings’ means?

The speed of the modem thankfully should have no impact on this situation. And you’re wise to remove the extender for testing, Sonos frequently doesn’t like extenders and the way they can break up the LAN into separate subnets. 

If the link above offers no immediate solution, I do have to concur with Ken’s earlier point about the type of WiFi signal being generated. It does need to be 802.11 b/g/n compatible, and not just 802.11 n, for instance. This kind of mismatch would certainly explain why it works while wired, but can’t when the Ethernet cable is removed. 

However, I would heartily recommend that you call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Not wishing to sound disrespectful in any way at all, but It sounds like a case of ‘perhaps’ entering incorrect SSID/Credentials … I would maybe try once again and ensure you are entering the correct cAsE SenSiTIVe details (SSID and Password) for the 2.4Ghz band and ensure that the wireless connection is 802.11b/g/n compatible.

Also ensure the new router does not have ‘QOS’, or ‘Airtime Fairness’ enabled and that the wireless bands are not ‘isolated’ from the wired setup, or each other.

As you are using an iOS controller, perhaps also ensure that Sonos has access to the local network in its “Privacy Settings’ and maybe also try switching off the “Private Address’ (MAC spoofing) feature in the WiFi connection property sheet on the iPad. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In you story I do miss the part where you tell the Sonos system you new wifi credentials……

Thanks for your replies!

The possibility of incorrect SSID entering is not existing, the system prompts with the different names for me to choose, i.e. no need to type it. 

As to the other tips, I have sat “private address” to off on the Ipad (which is NOT the recommended setting by Apple). The result is still the same: no contact with the Sonos system.
I am checking with my network provider about other router settings. Will let you know the results.

You mention an old router, vs a new router. What kind of new router are we talking about? Any chance it’s a mesh network thing, and your iPad is connecting to a different “node” than the rest of the system? Some mesh networks treat each “node” as a separate subnet, but Sonos requires all devices to be on the same one. 

It would explain why the old router works fine, and the new one(s?) doesn’t. 

To Airgetlam,

The old router is providing internet service through a DSL (30 Mbps) the new router provides service through fiber (100 Mbps). Both routers are Sagemcom (french) model/types unknown because manufactured OEM for the service provider. None of them configured as “mesh. The new router is though supplemented by a Netgear Range Extender (mod EX6110). The latter is switched OFF for these tests !