Answered

Unable to connect my iPhone 6s to Sonos 1 and play iTunes music 'On this phone'

I recently received a Sonos 1 as a birthday present.

I have download the App on my iPhone 6s but cannot get it to play.

Works brilliantly on my MacBook Pro via the Sonos App,
Works 50% of the time on my iPad 4 mini (jumps/skips to the next song halfway through the current one.. I think this may have something to do with the iPad going into sleep mode, but that's a glitch that should have been ironed out by now, no?).
But doesn't work the way I want it to on my iPhone..
I 'can' see my music library via my MacBook (when its on, which isn't all the time as I'm an energy saving kinda guy),
but when the MacBook is off and I'd like to connect via 'On this phone', it comes up with a button asking me to 'grant permission', pressing that takes me to the Sonos Settings, but theres no button to press to grant permission.

I have looked in the media & apple music folder, in the privacy settings, but the Sonos app is not there either.

Is there a way to play my iTunes music that is on my phone directly to my Sonos when my Mac is off?
I've been browsing the community for answers, and it looks like this is a common problem that has been going on for a couple of years... any solutions?
icon

Best answer by shoturtle 2 May 2018, 23:51

another option if you used apple music. sync you iTunes library with apple music. Then you can stream it with the sonos app in the apple music library section.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +12
most likely wont be fixed until apple release airplay 2 then the sonos one will have no issue with music on your ios device. There are drm issues with some media. Once airplay 2 is release sometime this year. You should be able to stream all your itune files on your phone to the sonos one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you can play music on your phone when the mac is off. That would be music that is under "On is iPhone" section. The music library section is dependent on a connection to your Mac.

When playing "on this iPhone" section it is completely dependent on the ipad keeping a solid wifi signal in transmitting the song. That is why it is an unreliable method (much like Bluetooth and airplay).

I would get an NAS drive and put all my music there to have it available on network attached to router 24/7 and then have no problems ever.
Badge +12
another option if you used apple music. sync you iTunes library with apple music. Then you can stream it with the sonos app in the apple music library section.
another option if you used apple music. sync you iTunes library with apple music. Then you can stream it with the sonos app in the apple music library section. . With this option, does Apple music need to have an internet connection to play music synced from my itunes library?
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Isn't Apple Music a cloud based service? I'm not an Apple owner so I have no idea. If it is a cloud based thing, then Sonos needs the internet connection - once linked it will fetch the tracks direct from the cloud.