Unable to connect Music using partitioned Airport as NAS

• 22 January 2020
  • 30 replies

Badge

There are a bunch of discussions regarding this… which has helped me get this far but I still get the error “There is no shared folder ‘Music’ on the computer “BertoAirPort” when I enter:

\\BertoAirPort\Music

see attached to show how this is set up on an Apple Airport which appears as though I have partitioned successfully (as you see in the Disk Utility at bottom). The plan is to have half still used for Time Machine and the other I’ll eventually place all my music files (I’ve got several in there now as you see in Finder upper right).

In an old discussion it was implied that the folder name (after the computer name ‘BertoAirPort’) should instead match what is the the Finder window (upper left)… however that too long name was made automatically when I first setup the airport years ago. I’ve attempted to change and it appears that I can’t… won’t allow through Finder or Airport Utility (where it seems you can only change the name).

Let me know if i can provide more info… this has taken many hours over many days to get this far and I’m frustrated.

Upon doing all this I now realize that it’s not the best method long term… I should go with a proper, new technology NAS and/or even leave my music on SSD external drive connected via usb with NAS or directly into a newer router with usb. BUT for now this is what I started and what i have is in good shape and would like to make use of it.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge

Thanks for your patience. I don’t know how else to relate my experience… 

What is shown in the original screen shot? If that is not a partition, then i created a folder… as i said in first post I tried to connect to that and it did not work. I don’t get what you’re saying obviously.

The screen shot shows i did indeed create two separate volumes under Apple Spare Bundle… Time Machine and Music. I put some files to play in Music… tried to path to Sonos and didn’t recognize.

In the original screen shot it shows a single sparse bundle, with a “Time Machine” and “Music” folder. Anything in a sparse bundle is a bit like a zip (compressed) file, however cannot be read by anything really outside of a Mac, hence no joy with Sonos.

If you look at the left hand column of Disk Utility you will see “Time Machine” and “Music” are both listed as being inside a sparse bundle which is identified under “Disk Images”

This thread has been hard work as the opening title is called “Unable to connect Music using partitioned Airport as NAS” and subsequently named “BertoAirPort”. Because of this I naturally assumed you had an Apple Airport and not an Apple Time Capsule. The Airport does not contain an internal drive so that means you had to have connected a USB drive - can you see how it all went wrong.

As I said you cannot create more than one partition on the internal drive on an Apple Time capsule and the only way to manage it is via the “Airport Utility”. 

All you need to do is use finder, navigate to \\BertoAirPort create a music folder and pop a few albums in there to test.

Badge

All you need to do is use finder, navigate to \\BertoAirPort create a music folder and pop a few albums in there to test.

I can’t create a folder under BertoAirPort… Finder doesn’t give me the option no matter what I try.

there are so many more questions…. but i’ll leave it at this for now. I have a bunch of screen shots that show how I partitioned something (From what you say, I assume it’s the sparse bundle disk image and not the drive itself). I can’t figure out how to get Time Capsule back to how it was before… I think I’ll have to do a hard reset… but for now it’s still backing up with Time Machine and I’m getting my music from the usb attached external drive. I won’t be able to tackle this for the next few weeks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The next time anyone tells me how simple Apple stuff is to use, I’ll point them to this thread :grinning:

Badge

The next time anyone tells me how simple Apple stuff is to use, I’ll point them to this thread :grinning:

no, I’m just ignorant… but know enough to get me in trouble, and therefore wary of just ‘trying’ technical tweaks to see if they will work. I work with Windows exclusively at work… I get into similar conundrums with it as well. That said I USUALLY get where I need to go, eventually.