Unable to connect Music using partitioned Airport as NAS

• 22 January 2020
  • 30 replies

Badge

There are a bunch of discussions regarding this… which has helped me get this far but I still get the error “There is no shared folder ‘Music’ on the computer “BertoAirPort” when I enter:

\\BertoAirPort\Music

see attached to show how this is set up on an Apple Airport which appears as though I have partitioned successfully (as you see in the Disk Utility at bottom). The plan is to have half still used for Time Machine and the other I’ll eventually place all my music files (I’ve got several in there now as you see in Finder upper right).

In an old discussion it was implied that the folder name (after the computer name ‘BertoAirPort’) should instead match what is the the Finder window (upper left)… however that too long name was made automatically when I first setup the airport years ago. I’ve attempted to change and it appears that I can’t… won’t allow through Finder or Airport Utility (where it seems you can only change the name).

Let me know if i can provide more info… this has taken many hours over many days to get this far and I’m frustrated.

Upon doing all this I now realize that it’s not the best method long term… I should go with a proper, new technology NAS and/or even leave my music on SSD external drive connected via usb with NAS or directly into a newer router with usb. BUT for now this is what I started and what i have is in good shape and would like to make use of it.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge

well this is rather disappointing… I thought if a member didn’t attempt to help I’d at least get a sonos rep eventually. Maybe I got too wordy, though I thought the picture would cut to the chase.

If anyone is following (at least up to nine of you)… I still haven’t connected to my Airport (which I still would prefer to do). I did finally manage an alternative setup that has finally got me set up with my library. It’s an external drive plugged into the airport’s usb port. It worked with the same format that should have worked directly from the Airport.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You might want to contact Sonos support (they are thin here) from the contact page where they also have 24x7 support options.

You get a lot of lookers that are just using the open-new forum function, folks like me that know nothing about Apple gear.

Badge

Thank you for this reply Stanley… I totally missed their contact info somehow as I was looking for answers… once you mentioned it here I looked again and found it right away. D’oh!

You have created a sparse bundle, this is a file that is like a volume that grows and shrinks as you add data, MacOS can read it.

Go back into disk utility an create a partition for your music.

Badge

You have created a sparse bundle, this is a file that is like a volume that grows and shrinks as you add data, MacOS can read it.

Go back into disk utility an create a partition for your music.

that is what I did as shown in the disk utility box… and then it shows up as a Device in Finder. I was also able to add some audio files in order to test it. That sparse bundle is how the OS set it up initially when it set up Time Machine. I THINK I see what you are saying but I don’t understand how to do it or what I did wrong. I did create that Music partition within the original ‘sparse bundle’ but when i tired to rename it (again, created and named by OS when it set up Time Machine) because it’s more than 15 characters (thinking that was the problem) i couldn’t figure out how to do it… so i renamed the other partition ‘Time Machine’, because i still want to back up to that partition (and it kept those back ups intact).

The “Music” sparse bundle cannot be read by Sonos (or most operating systems) so delete it using Disk Utility.

Now use the Airport Utility to see how Disk is formatted, screenshot and post it here.

Badge

The “Music” sparse bundle cannot be read by Sonos (or most operating systems) so delete it using Disk Utility.

Then try and see if you can create a shared Music directory using the Airport Utility. If unable, you will need to wipe / format the drive loosing everything it contains. You can then point Time Machine at the drive and it will create anew sparse bundle for your backups.

I think what you’re telling me is to reformat the entire drive since now it is “Rob Sanabria’s Airport wir” and doing so will eliminate that sparse bundle (and of course all the back ups)… then when I reformat through disc utility it will set it up as something different from a sparse bundle? (when setting up the folder i did not see any options about ‘sparse bundle’.. which technically i still don’t quite understand what it is, how it differs, etc). If that is correct, yes, i will lose all my backups… so first i need to figure out how to copy them properly somewhere. Are these assumptions correct?

I may not be able to get to that soon… but will attempt at later date… i’ll let you know then if that works or not.

For the moment delete the “music” sparse bundle. Then use the Airport utility… Edit… Advanced… File Sharing and Disk. Screen shot this please.

EDIT

What is the Samsung portable drive used for which is attached to your Mac?

Badge

you mean to erase what I have in “Music” and unmount? there is no option to ‘delete’

Yes erase ( Apple have updated the apple) unmount, reboot and make sure its gone. Be careful you have thecorrect drive selected.

Badge

it’s the drive with my music on it… dedicated for storage.

it’s the drive with my music on it… dedicated for storage.

Ok, thats fine, just wanted to make sure we were working in the correct drive.

Badge

as directed… but not sure if this is what you’re looking for… the samsung1TSSD is now plugged into my Airport… that is why it’s showing. now both the “Music” and the “Time Machine” folders are gone and not showing in Disk Utility nor in Finder as before. Essentially back to what I was before.

Errrrr... Did you not have another drive plugged into the Airport?

Badge

Don’t understand your question… as stated I just plugged that into the airport the other day to attempt to get that to map to Sonos… it did. 7 days ago (original screen shot) i did not have that because i was attempting to use the partition to store all my music rather than the samsung that’s on there now.

To share a volume on the Airport it needs a hard disk drive plugged in, you don’t need to create a music partition only have a directory with the music stored on it. 

if you only have the one external drive I would strongly suggest that unless you have the contents backed up elsewhere to unplug the drive before you loose all your data.

Badge

are you clear with what I’m trying to accomplish?

1. existing 1TB Airport Time Capsule… currently setup with my Time Machine backups
  2. Partition Airport... half used for backups the other half for Music Library.
  3. I have a couple usb external drives for archiving and extra storage… don’t want to use as Music Library. Currently, since i couldn’t get the partition to work with Sonos, I have one attached to the usb hub of the Airport in which i was able to connect Sonos as a test and temporary.

1. existing 1TB Airport Time Capsule… currently setup with my Time Machine backups
  3. I have a couple usb external drives for archiving and extra storage… don’t want to use as Music Library. Currently, since i couldn’t get the partition to work with Sonos, I have one attached to the usb hub of the Airport in which i was able to connect Sonos as a test and temporary.

I know what you want to do but your replies are not helping e.g,

1. Partition Airport 

I thought you had an Apple Airport with a USB drive attachedi, not a partition called Airport located somewhere.

Best you log a support call with Sonos.

Badge

... you don’t need to create a music partition only have a directory with the music stored on it. 

my research told me that you just can’t put place files on the same drive setup (sparse bundle??) as Time Machine because TM will eventually replace those files as it needs that space to continue it’s back ups… therefore a partition was recommended, which i attempted.

Badge

I know what you want to do but your replies are not helping e.g,

1. Partition Airport 

I thought you had an Apple Airport with a USB drive attachedi, not a partition called Airport located somewhere.

Best you log a support call with Sonos.

I see… one of those communication problems where descriptions mean different things to different people. No, my “Airport” is as stated in #1 an Airport Time Capsule that has WiFi and storage and is essentially a NAS... I am trying to get it to work (or be recognized) as one.

thanks for your attempt to help… i do appreciate it!!

... you don’t need to create a music partition only have a directory with the music stored on it. 

my research told me that you just can’t put place files on the same drive setup (sparse bundle??) as Time Machine because TM will eventually replace those files as it needs that space to continue it’s back ups… therefore a partition was recommended, which i attempted.

OK that helps,  you would need to format the USB drive using Disk utility on your Mac, don't create sparse bundles. Everything will be be deleted.

Create two partitions, say one called music and one backups. UseMac OS Extended (Journaled).

plug drive back into the airport and you will be able to see the two shares when browsing on your Mac.

point time machine to the backups share and it will create a new sparse bundle

put a few albums into the music share and try Sonos again

Badge

no, that’s not what I’m trying to accomplish. I’m trying to partition my 1TB Airport Time Capsule (NAS). I want to use it for Time Machine backups and the other partition for music library.

I have already successfully setup and connected the usb drive just how you say… but I do NOT want to use it permanently for my music library. I did it just to make sure I could connect something to Sonos.

I’ll try Sonos Tech now that I see how to get them directly… I just saw lots of previous commenters with similar setup but slightly different issue as mine… thought I’d give it a shot.

You can’t partition the Time Capsule drive, just create a directory called music on it. The sparse bundle will expand to fill available space but not overwrite other data in the same drive / partition .

you would have to physically remove the drive from the Time capsule

Badge

You can’t partition the Time Capsule drive, just create a directory called music on it. The sparse bundle will expand to fill available space but not overwrite other data in the same drive / partition .

you would have to physically remove the drive from the Time capsule

I read how to and did partition the Time Capsule drive… see original post/screenshot.

So, I’ll have to figure out how to safely un-partition it… or likely I’ll need to re-format the whole thing (back up my backups first of course). 

Then figure out how to simply add a folder rather then partition the drive. I tried to simply add a folder earlier on and could not figure out how to… that’s when i found somewhere that a partition was recommended. I don’t know I’m getting confused at the moment. may need to start on a new slate.

You did not create a partition, as you cannot on the internal Time Capsule drive.