Answered

Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to...


I get this same error message when I try to connect to any Internet source (Radio by TuneIn, Pandora, Tidal). I can only connect to my local source of music. I DO have Internet connectivity on the laptop I am using.
icon

Best answer by pickerin 31 July 2016, 19:12

As a useful response to this problem, I found an answer over on Reddit that worked for me (this is for the OSX Sonos Controller App):

Turn wireless off, then back on again.

I did this with the Sonos app running, when I turned my wireless off the Sonos app said to "Connect to a network", then when I turned it back on it reconnected and everything was working properly. Not sure if this is just a temporary situation or more systemic, but this workaround worked for me.
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It doesn't matter if you have internet connectivity on laptop. What matters is does the network Sonos is on have internet (the wifi or sonosnet).
That's a ridiculous reply. Of course you need Internet access on your laptop for the Sonos app to be able to present the choices from the various music services, browse libraries, and authorize/manage the services. Yes, the Sonos system itself needs Internet access as it streams them directly, but so too does the laptop need access.

I'm having the same problem. iOS apps work fine to browse the various music services and play them correctly on the Sonos system, but the Mac application just says "Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to [insert service name here]". Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora, doesn't matter they all have the same error.
As a useful response to this problem, I found an answer over on Reddit that worked for me (this is for the OSX Sonos Controller App):

Turn wireless off, then back on again.

I did this with the Sonos app running, when I turned my wireless off the Sonos app said to "Connect to a network", then when I turned it back on it reconnected and everything was working properly. Not sure if this is just a temporary situation or more systemic, but this workaround worked for me.
@pickerin. Abuse on here is not appreciated. Especially when you have failed to understand the point @Chris was making, which was entirely correct. He was simply saying that having internet connectivity on the laptop didn't in itself prove anything about the nature of the problem. Your suggestion does sometimes work, it depends on the exact cause of the problem.

Do you really think that @Chris, with nearly 9,000 posts, doesn't understand the nature of Sonos? He is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful contributors to the forum.

Given what I have said about abuse on here, I'd better not express an opinion about you..
Disconnecting and reconnecting network did the trick for me. Thanks for the tip.
This did not work for me.

The odd thing is that some channels on iheart work just fine while others do not. And it differs between controllers (iPhone, iPad).

The worst thing is that I’ve getting very little support from Sonos technical support. I came on here in a last ditch effort hoping somebody would have a super bill for me, but I’m not getting anywhere.

Hi, I'm having this same issue. It just started in the last few days. I've updated my Sonos app and tried turning off and turning back on the wireless network with no success. Very frustrating in that right now I cannot seem to listen to any music from any of my 3 Sonos products. Would love to know the issue.
Hi Experts,

Same issue. Turning off and on Wi Fi doesn't help.
I encountered this issue, with the message: "Unable to browse music - there was a problem connecting to [insert Apple Music, Amazon music etc]. Sonos support was helpful and the instructions found in this link cured the problem:

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228008987-IOS-10-Device-Configuration-for-OpenDNS

My diagnostic indicated that I needed to change the DNS setting on my iPhone 10 as described in the link.
Badge +1
Thank you @cybodhi

I was having the same problem and it was driving me crazy as it was happening both at home and at my office. Nothing seemed to work, but your DNS setting change fixed it. Thanks!
One follow up: While the change to DNS settings initially worked, it didn't last. I finally solved my problem by deleting a privacy app on my phone. In my case, it was a privacy app called Pro Privacy. As soon as that was deleted, I had no more problems and have not had any difficulty for a couple of weeks now.
Badge +1
One follow up: While the change to DNS settings initially worked, it didn't last. I finally solved my problem by deleting a privacy app on my phone. In my case, it was a privacy app called Pro Privacy. As soon as that was deleted, I had no more problems and have not had any difficulty for a couple of weeks now.

Oh bummer. That could be what was causing mine then as well. I also recently installed Privacy Pro after reading an article in WSJ about tracking on our phones. If the DNS settings aren't a long-term fix then I may have to delete the app as well.

Thanks for following up.

Reply