Question

Unable to browse certain Albums in Amazon Music

• 25 September 2017
  • 8 replies

I get the "Unable to browse music" message for select albums in My Music on Amazon Music. I assume there is something about those particular albums (naming convention? Track contents? etc) that causes this failure in Sonos but can't nail it down.

The issue impacts every Sonos client I have (iOS clients on my iPhone and iPad, and the Windows client). I've tried renaming the albums, and deleting and adding back the MP3s to Amazon (the impacted albums are all albums I've uploaded to Amazon myself), but no improvement.

(I pay for Amazon Music; also I looked at previous discussions on the "unable to browse" topic and the solutions don't apply to me (e.g., not a virus scanning issue).)

The issue has been ongoing since we got our Sonos system last year.

How can I resolve this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I figured it out and found the bug.

The bug is this: If an Album on Amazon Music has a title of greater than 45 characters, Sonos can't browse the album. I get the dreaded "Unable to browse music" message instead.

So I couldn't browse albums with these titles:
A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night (The RCA Albums Collection)
Crossing the Red Sea With - The Ultimate Edition

But I could browse albums with these titles:
A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night
Crossing the Red Sea With - Ultimate Edition

By testing, I figured out that the magic # is 45. Any more characters, and Sonos can't browse it any longer.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Out of curiosity, if the same length album is streamed from Amazon's "collection" does it encounter the same bug?
Good question! I just tried browsing that Fiona Apple album with the insanely long name, which is available on Amazon Prime. No issues. So perhaps the issue is specific to My Music in Amazon Music (music I've uploaded myself to Amazon), not "Amazon Music" in Amazon Music (as seen via the Sonos app), if that makes sense.
I am starting to experience this hitch. It first effected just one album in My Music now its effecting two. This means that the greater proportion of my albums can be accessed without a problem but I'm concerned it's going to spread. The music on the effected albums can still be accessed via the 'tracks' list but this is hardly convenient if I want to play the full album.
I worked with Sonos support via Twitter the other day. They couldn't reproduce the problem. Very odd.

BTW, another workaround is to add all of the tracks from the impacted album to a playlist. The playlist will work fine. But it's a hassle, no question.
This problem has gone away. As a result of my making playlists as suggested by PObbard or completely spontaneously. Whichever way, I can access tracks again in the normal way.
Sadly, the problem persists for me, although the Playlist workaround still works.
I figured it out and found the bug.

The bug is this: If an Album on Amazon Music has a title of greater than 45 characters, Sonos can't browse the album. I get the dreaded "Unable to browse music" message instead.

So I couldn't browse albums with these titles:
A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night (The RCA Albums Collection)
Crossing the Red Sea With - The Ultimate Edition

But I could browse albums with these titles:
A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night
Crossing the Red Sea With - Ultimate Edition

By testing, I figured out that the magic # is 45. Any more characters, and Sonos can't browse it any longer.

Thanks very much for posting this, it's been driving me mad trying to figure out what the issue was!