Ubiquiti Dream Machine

• 25 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Planning to install Ubiquiti Dream Machine end of week. Wondering if there are any known issues with this router. Currently have 10 Sonos speakers on Sonosnet and 2 Moves on Wi-Fi. Thanks in advance for any input. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Is this part of a mesh network? Are you using any Ubiquiti switches?

Will create a wireless mesh with a Ubiquiti Unifi FlexHD (not ether-netted to Dream Machine). Only two pieces I plan to use. 1600 sq ft ranch with half-finished basement. Wood frame. 1GB fiber ISP. Thanks. 

I have no direct experience with the FlexHD’s, but other Ubiquiti access points have an option to force a client to always use the same access point. In general SONOS does not like to be kicked from access point to access point, usually changing channels in the process. MOVE’s are more tolerant of this. Except for the portable units, I recommend fixing the access point association for the SONOS players. Also, avoid “auto” channel assignment.

Overall, I prefer to use SonosNet. You could wire one player or a BOOST to the router and SONOS will build it’s own private mesh that is independent of your WiFi. SonosNet is optimized for Audio.

Thanks. Currently using Sonosnet with my Netgear router. Arc is wired to the main router. Had heard of problems with Ubiquiti and STP, which architecture Sonosnet supposedly uses. Well above my pay grade. Theoretically, if I just replace the Netgear with the Ubiquiti, should work the same as it is now? Thanks. 

If you are not using Ubiquiti switches or only have one wired SONOS unit, don’t worry about STP.  Anyway, if you know where to click, dealing with STP is a one click operation.

Simply replacing the Netgear router with the Dream Machine would be uneventful. One must use a little more care if mesh points are added.

Thank you for the information.