Two plays connected to same wireless, but only one showing up on controller as a room. How to group when I can't "see" both?

• 24 July 2015
  • 7 replies

Have two Play speakers. Had successfully used both for a long time, grouped just fine. Have not changed modem, router, cable anything, but recently they stopped playing. I have had to reconnect them or set them up anew a few times. Today, I have gotten both to play again now, but only one shows up as a room and I would like to group them again. Help please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi Sue.  You need to sort out why that speaker isn't showing up - that isn't normal.  It may be wireless interference.  Anything new that might have caused that?  Baby monitors?  Are you operating with a Bridge or other Sonos component wired to your router, or fully over your home wifi? 
Fully over home WiFi...no baby monitors....nothing new at all...don't know why it stopped working so perfectly! I also have a problem with my Samsung galaxy app...doesn't find my system sometimes (like now) BUT..sometimes it just does and I can control the speakers from the phone....haunted. I have tried disconnecting the power from modem and router and restarting everything. Not sure what else to do.

Would buying a bridge solve this, do you think?
Fully over home WiFi...no baby monitors....nothing new at all...don't know why it stopped working so perfectly! I also have a problem with my Samsung galaxy app...doesn't find my system sometimes (like now) BUT..sometimes it just does and I can control the speakers from the phone....haunted. I have tried disconnecting the power from modem and router and restarting everything. Not sure what else to do.

It does sound like issues with your home network.  A Bridge might help, but the exact cause needs to be investigated.  I suggest you try a complete system reboot as described below.  If that doesn't help, run a support diagnostic (see link below) when you are having problems and post the reference number back here.  But worth calling Sonos Support to tell them it's here though.  There will be a specific cause in your network or wireless environment that can probably be easily fixed and Support have the tools to identify it. 

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142/~/submit-system-diagnostics

Reboot instructions:

Shut down all of the following, then re-power, in this order, one unit at a time:
Modem
Router
Switches/hubs
Wired Sonos Players and Bridges
Wireless Sonos Players and Bridges
Controllers
NAS if you use one
Everything else (computers, printers, etc.)
Wait until the component is fully up before restarting the next on the list.

These instructions worked for me! Thank you so much!
I have 3 brand new plays connected to same wireless but only one shows up at a given time, if I switch off one of the player then another one shows up but all of them are not showing up at the same time
Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the same problem with two Play5s. If I unplug one, the other shows up. If I plug both in, only one is seen. I have done the factory reset and reconfigured already. I am using Cisco Access Points.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I have 3 brand new plays connected to same wireless but only one shows up at a given time, if I switch off one of the player then another one shows up but all of them are not showing up at the same time

Hi Sri, can you tell us about your network setup there? Do have anything like wireless extenders, or access points propagating the WiFi? How do these connect back to the main router? It would also help us a lot to get a diagnostic sent from each PLAY:3, to check they were set up as part of the same household. You can send us a diagnostic by following the instructions here. Please reply with the confirmation number you receive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have the same problem with two Play5s. If I unplug one, the other shows up. If I plug both in, only one is seen. I have done the factory reset and reconfigured already. I am using Cisco Access Points.

Hi xKEVINx, welcome to the community. It sounds like you need to enable 'multicast' on those Cisco access points. This should allow the controllers to see mutliple Sonos devices at the same time.