Answered

Two Play:3's or Two Play:5's?

• 10 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
I have a fairly large room about 25 x 17 with 8 foot ceilings. I would like opinions on what speakers to purchase. I like stereo separation, so I am definitely going to buy either two Play:3's or two Play:5's. I realize the Play:5's are the best, but my wife does not like loud music. She prefers to have the music on in the background so she can carry on conversations with family and friends. Therefore, my question is would two Play:5's be overkill for what I am going to use them for? Would I be okay with two Play:3's and save $400? Thank you.
icon

Best answer by John B 10 December 2016, 16:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi. It's not just about volume, it's about quality. And surely you'll be able to turn it up a bit when your wife isn't there? :)

The P:5s are not just better, they are in a completely different league. For my money, it has to be the P;5s. Or rather, for your money.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Billytax,

Welcome to the Sonos community

I can tell you this, once you start on Sonos it is hard to stop buying them. I would go ahead with the Play3s and you can always add more.

Tip: Sonos runs best if you have one of your Sonos products hard wired to your router. Depending on you setup you may want to get a Boost.
There is another way; get a 1 pair. If you find that suffices, job done. If not, add a Sub and for the same price as the 5 pair, you get a system that will almost certainly sound richer at low level listening - the Sub pulls of the trick better than the loudness switch on any of the units. And on bachelor days, it will go louder than what you can probably tolerate!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Overkill? Never! I would probably go in this order with ~$1,000 to spend:

1) 2 Play:1s + Sub (the advantage here is flexibility if/when you want to add a Playbar since that's the only missing component to a 5.1 setup)
2) 2 Play:5s (very very very slightly behind #1 for me)
3) 3 Play:1s (stereo pair in 1 room, single speaker in another)
4) 4 Play:1s
5) 5 Play:1s
6) 2 Play:3s
Badge
Hi. It's not just about volume, it's about quality. And surely you'll be able to turn it up a bit when your wife isn't there? :)

The P:5s are not just better, they are in a completely different league. For my money, it has to be the P;5s. Or rather, for your money.
Badge

Thanks for the response. I purchased two Play:5's. What the heck.
Thanks for the response. I purchased two Play:5's. What the heck.

You only live once. Got them yet or awaiting delivery? Hopefully you'll love them.

If you are able to, Trueplay tune them to get the absolute best.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Nice! I told my son the other day that I am on a mission to spend all of my money before I die. He was not impressed.