TV sound skipping in group speakers

• 17 October 2016
  • 73 replies

Userlevel 1
So I have a playbar hooked to my television. I often want to have TV audio on other speakers in my house, e.g. listening to the football game while i'm out on the patio.

I'm having frequent audio dropouts for a fraction of a second, occurring every couple of seconds. The audio on the playbar continues uninterrupted, but there are dropouts on the other speakers.

I'm assuming this is probably a network interference issue. I have tried both Wifi and boost setup, changed the compression settings, tried all the different channel settings and can't get it to stop.

I am not having any issues with playback from other sources, including audio from a line-in to a connect amp when played throughout the house. It's just the audio from the playbar.

Not necessarily expecting anyone to know exactly what my problem is, but I don't even know what to troubleshoot next once i've tried all the things i mentioned above

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

73 replies

To add to my post...the two Play 5's in the Living Room are now also cutting out periodically when grouped with the Playbar and connected to TV audio. Since they are not Gen 2, they are not set up as surrounds, but are grouped, (and they are linked to the Sub). So, basically I still have the same problems that started well over a year ago. Since then I have added the boost, a new router, a wi-fi extender, and a new TV, all as futile attempts to fix the problem...again, the diagnostic is #8167895.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I chatted with Sonos Support on Twitter to resolve my issue. It was as simple as changing the wireless channel I was using. I hadn’t tried this before as it was a sudden onset problem but it appears to have resolved my issue.
I have the same problem: Playbar (with surrounds) broadcasting to remote Play 5 over SonosNet is choppy when broadcasting TV, but perfectly fine when broadcasting anything else. Logged the issue with Support, but had no satisfactory response. Only received the standard response from earlier in the thread about 5GHz vs 2.4GHz, but nothing to explain why everything except TV is ok.
I am also having the same issue here is my diagnosis code 8218189
Having this same cut out issue, here is my diagnostic numver: 8256160

Like some others, it works perfectly when it's playing something via the Sonos app, such as Google play music, but cuts out when it's audio from the TV.
I've got a playbar and two 1s then I've got play5 separate that I group at different times , my play 5 stutters only when I'm playing through my TV and apps like Spotify and movies , my play 5 doesn't stutter when I play from my phone either through the Sonos app or Spotify not a thing it's perfect , 8269682. Is my diagnostic numbers

Thanks
I am having same issue with my Sonos Connect to a pair of Play:1s. Major stuttering. My diagnostic # is 8294810.
I'm having the stuttering/cutout issue with my brand new Sonos One surround speakers paired with my Playbar when playing a Line-in source through a Sonos Connect. The Connect and the Playbar+LS/RS are grouped. System is in Boost mode with the Playbar wired with Ethernet. (also switched the Ethernet cable to the Connect which made no difference)

Streaming directly from Spotify works fine. Grouping a different Sonos One with the Connect also works fine, no stuttering with the other speaker. The issue is only with the surrounds.

Have tried placing the Connect on a different floor, within 15 feet of the Playbar, and within 2 feet of the Playbar. Have tried all three SonosNet channels. Have tried unplugging our Wifi access point to eliminate all Wifi signals in the house. No cordless phones in the house and microwave is not running. The TV connected to the Playbar is turned off, and is NOT the audio source so no firmware issues with the TV.

Diagnostic number is 8325674.
My PLAYBAR has the same issue. If I’m using the PLAYBAR directly from my tv using the optical cable, I keep getting frequent dropouts. It also occurs when I power up my Play1s and use it in home theatre mode. My diagnostic number is 8327059
I'm having the stuttering/cutout issue with my brand new Sonos One surround speakers paired with my Playbar when playing a Line-in source through a Sonos Connect. The Connect and the Playbar+LS/RS are grouped. System is in Boost mode with the Playbar wired with Ethernet. (also switched the Ethernet cable to the Connect which made no difference)

Streaming directly from Spotify works fine. Grouping a different Sonos One with the Connect also works fine, no stuttering with the other speaker. The issue is only with the surrounds.

Have tried placing the Connect on a different floor, within 15 feet of the Playbar, and within 2 feet of the Playbar. Have tried all three SonosNet channels. Have tried unplugging our Wifi access point to eliminate all Wifi signals in the house. No cordless phones in the house and microwave is not running. The TV connected to the Playbar is turned off, and is NOT the audio source so no firmware issues with the TV.

Diagnostic number is 8325674.

Was able to make some headway on the issue. Changing the Audio Compression from Automatic to Compressed has stopped the stuttering in the surround speakers when playing from a Line-in source. Wouldn't consider this a resolution to the issue, more of a work around.

Diagnostic number with the compression setting set to Compressed: 8327176
I have same issue-TV Sound skips when speakers are grouped. Submitted diagnostics with confirmation number 8404385.
Badge +1
Same issue here. Diagnostic = 8427535. So a BOOST will help with the TV from Playbar to my Kitchen Play:3?
Don’t let these Sonos guys keep wasting your time pretending to help. The issue doesn’t have anything at all to do with interference for most of you. The speakers just don’t work with 5.1 when they’re grouped. Go into your cable box’s settings, find the audio output settings and change it from 5.1 to stereo and watch the skipping go away. I don’t understand why they won’t just admit it rather than wasting everyone’s time making them do all kinds of pointless nonsense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Marcus10: Thanks for the diagnostic report. Most of the errors I see are regarding connecting to a wireless extender. Could you tell us a little more about your local network? I would also recommend removing your wireless credentials from your Sonos system. Here's how:

Sonos app for iOS or Android: From the More menu, tap Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Sonos Controller App for Mac: Click Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Sonos Controller App for PC: Click Manage > Settings > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.

andytrent: Glad to see you were able to get things sorted by giving us a call and talking with our technicians. Should you run into another problem feel free to reach out.
Badge +1
Keith N: Yes my issue is resolved for now. Thanks for the follow-up. It was channel interference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
obviously Chris44 advice was completely wrong and false. My playbar 5.1 system is awesome!
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Has sonos come up with a solution to this problem as i am still having problems grouping my 2 play 5 with my playbase as i they keep cutting out.
Out of curiosity, is anyone using the 'Audio Delay (Lip Sync)' feature at all? I had an issue with my sub and grouped Play:1 in the kitchen intermittently dropping out when being fed with a DD 2.0 or DD 5.1 signal which was really annoying. Music was fine. I tried resetting my system, changing the wireless setup, speaker configuration and even hard wiring my 5.1 gear. Nothing stopped it. Having the lip sync slider at its default position stopped the issue completely. I've had no issues since.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Out of curiosity, is anyone using the 'Audio Delay (Lip Sync)' feature at all? I had an issue with my sub and grouped Play:1 in the kitchen intermittently dropping out when being fed with a DD 2.0 or DD 5.1 signal which was really annoying. Music was fine. I tried resetting my system, changing the wireless setup, speaker configuration and even hard wiring my 5.1 gear. Nothing stopped it. Having the lip sync slider at its default position stopped the issue completely. I've had no issues since.
Yeah I have mine up a couple of notches. I will try putting it back to default like you say,see if it helps. You are right it happens with any D/D you play but music is fine.
Thank you
Userlevel 1
Badge
I was having this problem as well for a long time. At my old place and at my new place. How I solved it was today I was checking my optic audio cable that you connect to your TV and Sonos. It was tight but I was able to jiggle it. While I was doing that I notice my play 1's stopped the skipping. So I really pushed the optical cable in it's port on my TV. I also disconnected then re-connected the audio cable to the Sonos soundbar. For right now I'm not having an issue.
Badge
Thank you, Keith N. The problem is solved by hard wiring one of the speakers to the network using an ethernet cable following your advice.