TV sound skipping in group speakers

• 17 October 2016
  • 73 replies

Userlevel 1
So I have a playbar hooked to my television. I often want to have TV audio on other speakers in my house, e.g. listening to the football game while i'm out on the patio.

I'm having frequent audio dropouts for a fraction of a second, occurring every couple of seconds. The audio on the playbar continues uninterrupted, but there are dropouts on the other speakers.

I'm assuming this is probably a network interference issue. I have tried both Wifi and boost setup, changed the compression settings, tried all the different channel settings and can't get it to stop.

I am not having any issues with playback from other sources, including audio from a line-in to a connect amp when played throughout the house. It's just the audio from the playbar.

Not necessarily expecting anyone to know exactly what my problem is, but I don't even know what to troubleshoot next once i've tried all the things i mentioned above

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

73 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would submit a diagnostic so Sonos can pinpoint the interference. Go under settings..advanced...submit diagnostic.

You can post the number it gives you here for them to review or call them with the number.
I have the same issue. Is there any fix? Thanks!
And it is the same for me too. Music from my tablet is fine to playbar grouped with a play:3 in another room, but TV audio breaks up on the play:3. I use standard network setup.
Same problem here. Submitted an email to Sonos and waiting to hear a response. I'm interested to see what they say.
I have same problem here - waiting for response from Sonos
Was anyone able to get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem.
Badge
Having the same issue. If you group other rooms with the Playbar and you use your TV sound as input, the other rooms have a delay.

From what I read in other threads, there is a 70ms delay, don't know the exact reason for this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In order to properly explain this, I would like to first describe the different methods employed for the purpose of communication, when discussing a PLAYBAR used in conjunction with other devices.

The PLAYBAR uses 5Ghz to communicate with the satellite speakers. 5Ghz is not efficient over longer distances. It is used to transfer a "lot" of information over a "short" distance, hence it is used as the means of communication between a PLAYBAR and its surrounds, to eliminate these issues of latency... The audio signal from a television is indeed classed as a lot of information.

In turn, 2.4Ghz (which is what is used when you "group" instead of adding surrounds) is used to transfer Less information over Longer distances. Doing so with a TV signal can create issues of latency.

Therefore, in essence, with the first situation, it's often too large a distance for the means of communication to handle. With the latter, it can, at times, be too much information for the method of delivery to cope with, so it takes a little bit longer (or does not get there at all)... Your wireless environment must be spotless and the network absolutely immaculate to stand a chance of success in this situation.

The only thing you may be able to do to mitigate these issues while grouping is the following:
A) To use a Sonos BOOST between the PLAYBAR and grouped devices
😎 To adjust the lip-sync settings in the app:
PLAYBAR Room Settings > Select Advanced Audio -> TV Dialog Settings > Audio Delay (Lip Sync)

As far as any audio interruptions go, we can always do our best to reduce these. Anyone that wishes to receive assistance with the aforementioned would be best suited to submit a diagnostic of their system and reply with a confirmation number. Myself or a colleague will pick it up. Thanks, all!
I have a playbar hooked up with a wired 1 gb Ethernet with 2 Sonos 1 satellite speakers about 20 feet away. The sound cuts out fairly often. Probably 3-5 times per 30 minutes and it is getting worse. Don't understand why. Seems like a common problem.
I have the audio interruptions issue.

What I've tried:
Resetting router, bridge, and speakers.
Changing wireless channel
Updating TV firmware (it is a Samsung UN46D8000)
Moving Kitchen Play:1 to the other side of the room (more direct line of sight between Playbar, Bridge, and Play:1
Moving Bridge further from router (they were sitting on top of each other and are now as far away as ethernet cable allows)

Submitted a diagnostic, confirmation number 7060407

Thanks for any assistance.
I have reset the router, don't have a bridge, and I've updated and rebooted the Sonos. Any other thought?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the audio interruptions issue.

What I've tried:
Resetting router, bridge, and speakers.
Changing wireless channel
Updating TV firmware (it is a Samsung UN46D8000)
Moving Kitchen Play:1 to the other side of the room (more direct line of sight between Playbar, Bridge, and Play:1
Moving Bridge further from router (they were sitting on top of each other and are now as far away as ethernet cable allows)

Submitted a diagnostic, confirmation number 7060407

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi kjhinds,

There's wireless interference showing up causing wireless communication errors between your Sonos units. This may be why the PLAYBAR's audio isn't playing steadily on your other speakers. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that helps. It may also help to make sure your BRIDGE is not too close to your router or any other wireless devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have reset the router, don't have a bridge, and I've updated and rebooted the Sonos. Any other thought?

Hi bfosinal,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system then reply with the confirmation number.
I tried wiring the Playbar and the Bridge into my home's network using a CAT-5 cable. That seems to have solved the problem of the TV sound dropouts in distant PLAY:1 speakers. The PLAY:1's are connected wirelessly.
Badge
Hi, I have the same problem and have submitted diagnostics on 7158793. Most of my components are wired to my network, so I'm not sure about wireless interference. Also does the system convert the 5.1 signal to stereo? Is this a setting? Thanks
I have same drop out issues with a line input from my DAB radio - have learned to live with it. But pretty poor for an expensive system!
I have the same problem as graybear.

This just started today. The only thing that changed since last use was that I used the Spotify app to play directly on my Sonos system for the first time. I don't know if this is related, but it is the only change since the last time I grouped speakers to my playbar and it worked correctly.
Badge
I am having the same problem. How do I carry out a diagnostic?
I am having the same problem. How do I carry out a diagnostic?

Submit System Diagnostics
Badge
Thank you for the prompt reply. I have submitted the diagnostic.
Under Advanced Settings turn Audio Compression = Compressed
Badge
Thank you. It is still dropping out, although it seems to be less frequently. I'll submit another diagnostic
After changing compression reboot any bridges and other components on the system.
Badge
i have tried that but it is still dropping out
Badge
i will submit a diagnostic now