Answered

TV screen flashes black with Beam

• 26 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello, so I have a newer TV (less than 1 year old) and stream with an Amazon Firestick. I recently added a Beam and noticed my TV screen intermittently goes black for a second or two. When I unplug the Bean from the Arc HDMI port the tv works just fine. I also noticed if I’m watching a movie it’s paused after the screen blinks black. I have tried a new HDMI cable and same thing. I used to have the Firestick in the Arc HDMI port snd it worked just fine before installing the Beam. Like I said I can turn the problem on and off by simply unplugging the HDMI cable from the Beam, but in doing so I did notice that when I plug an HDMI cable into the beam the TV screen goes black for a second or two as well. Any thoughts what might be causing is?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 26 October 2021, 14:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Maverick2 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It sounds like there might be a CEC (Consumer Electronics Control - what allows HDMI devices to give the TV commands, and vice versa) conflict caused by a HDMI device on the HDMI network that the TV creates. Please try the following, testing between each step:

• Reboot the TV by unplugging it from power for at least 3 minutes (yes, the time it’s off for can make a difference)
  • Check the TV software for a TV firmware update. If one is available, install it. You may find even newer versions on the manufacturer’s website
  • Is the Firestick the only other HDMI device connected to the TV? If so, please disable CEC on the Firestick. The option is located in the “Display & Sounds” menu in the “Settings” section
  • If there are other HDMI devices, please test with them disconnected (then revisit the 3rd step)

If the only thing that helps is disconnecting other devices, then you’ll need to find out which is causing the issue. You can do this by reattaching one and testing before trying another. Once you’ve found the device responsible, disable CEC on it (you may need to search what the manufacturer calls CEC, as many use their own terms) or, if it has no option to do so then you can buy a CEC-less HDMI adaptor pretty cheaply.

I hope this helps.