Answered

TV Audio Source Selection Overide by AMP

I have a 2022 Samsung frame TV connected to a Sonos AMP via e-ARC. I have worked with Samsung support to resolve an issue where I’m unable to manually select the audio output from the TV. Every time I try and select anything but Sonos AMP, the TV will flip back to Sonos AMP after a few seconds. 

I’ve tried disabling Sonos e-ARC auto play and have been through all the settings on the TV with Samsung. I have a case open with them but haven’t heard back yet. I haven’t spoken to Sonos yet but intend to on Monday. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 May 2022, 21:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Perhaps see if switching off AnyNet+ in the TV settings, allows you to switch output …and then enable it again when you want to switch back to using the Amp.

This is a ‘feature’ of CEC, it identifies the ‘sink/speaker’ (in this case, the device connected via ARC, part of the CEC spec)

If you turn off CEC on your TV, you should then be able to manually select the (some?) outputs on the TV. As long as CEC is active, it will automatically do that recognition process as required by the CEC spec.

Just as a note, that specification for CEC was written by a consortium of companies, neither Samsung nor Sonos ‘own’ it, they just implemented it as it was designed. 

Thanks Ken, that does work but way to much work to be reasonable…

Thanks Airgetlam, i’ll look for that setting and give it a try and report back. 

I tried it out but it disabled the HDMI output. Any other ideas?  How do I change the thread to unanswered?

I don’t think you can. 

I’d call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Jeremy_31 Isn’t that what you wanted? To disable HDMI output to the Arc?

No, I need the HDMI for TV audio for music/youtube but want the option for TV speakers for watching TV

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Unfortunately it is not possible to switch between audio outputs without disabling and enabling Anynet (which is Samsung’s name for CEC), or pulling out and putting in the cable. This is as Airgetlam explained how the spec works. Out of curiosity, why would you not want to use Amp all the time? I once thought the same as you (let’s use Amp only for special occasions such as movies, but not for casual TV viewing) and stumbled across the same barriers as you. However, I then accepted it and soon found out that even for normal TV viewing the sound is so much better with Amp and my (admittedly, high end) bookshelf speakers, sub and surrounds. Do you maybe have Amp connected to ceiling speakers? If you have speakers on the side, the phantom center channel really makes you have no clue that no sound is coming straight out of the TV as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, I need the HDMI for TV audio for music/youtube but want the option for TV speakers for watching TV

You have that, but you might need to delve a little deeper into the Samsung’s menu’s everytime you want to switch speakers. I agree with @flyingpadrejr though: why?

Unfortunately it is not possible to switch between audio outputs without disabling and enabling Anynet (which is Samsung’s name for CEC), or pulling out and putting in the cable. This is as Airgetlam explained how the spec works. Out of curiosity, why would you not want to use Amp all the time? I once thought the same as you (let’s use Amp only for special occasions such as movies, but not for casual TV viewing) and stumbled across the same barriers as you. However, I then accepted it and soon found out that even for normal TV viewing the sound is so much better with Amp and my (admittedly, high end) bookshelf speakers, sub and surrounds. Do you maybe have Amp connected to ceiling speakers? If you have speakers on the side, the phantom center channel really makes you have no clue that no sound is coming straight out of the TV as well.

You guessed it with the ceiling speakers. I did wire for a center channel in the future if Sonos ever has a solution for that as I don’t want to go the AV receiver route. I purchased a Samsung Frame TV because it doubles as a painting in the wall and have been hiding technology whenever possible so I don’t want a sound bar to give the illusion away. My original use case was to listen to music on Youtube music with concurrent video. One thought was to use a bluetooth/RCA adapter to get audio from the TV to the amp as the TV is capable of outputting to both its speakers and bluetooth simultaneously which might be the best of both worlds…