TV Audio Keeps Dropping

Badge +1
I am SO disappointed with my Sonos system. I am using for TV audio primarily. I have a TV in my living room with a SoundBar and have a Play One in my dining room (direct line of site to the living room, about 25-30 feet away). I just want the Play One to play the TV audio in the dining room (the living room has a 2 story ceiling so the sound can get lost in the space), but it consistently comes in and out so every 3rd word drops. I have called Customer Support and they are telling me that it is due to the distance they are apart. I am having the same problem with a line in (connected to a TV in the bedroom) and a Play One in the Master bathroom. I have a connect so everything is set up on it's own network. I cannot understand what is causing this problem but I am close to scrapping the who system.... Please let me know if you have any ideas...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am SO disappointed with my Sonos system. I am using for TV audio primarily. I have a TV in my living room with a SoundBar and have a Play One in my dining room (direct line of site to the living room, about 25-30 feet away). I just want the Play One to play the TV audio in the dining room (the living room has a 2 story ceiling so the sound can get lost in the space), but it consistently comes in and out so every 3rd word drops. I have called Customer Support and they are telling me that it is due to the distance they are apart. I am having the same problem with a line in (connected to a TV in the bedroom) and a Play One in the Master bathroom. I have a connect so everything is set up on it's own network. I cannot understand what is causing this problem but I am close to scrapping the who system.... Please let me know if you have any ideas...

Hi Imackedanz,

Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. I was able to take a look at your case notes and from your diagnostic report I see that your Sonos speakers are having a hard time sending the streaming data wirelessly quick enough. This is likely due to wireless interference that is weakening the signal between your speakers.

Please start by changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system. Try each of the 3 available channels and let them play for a little while.

If that doesn't do the trick, please take a look around your Sonos speakers for any third party wireless devices that could be causing interference. Try moving any devices you find out of the way and see if things improve.
Badge +1
Thank you. I will give that a try. I have a Bridge (I called it a Connect above), will I use the same process to change the wireless channel as I would with Boost?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you. I will give that a try. I have a Bridge (I called it a Connect above), will I use the same process to change the wireless channel as I would with Boost?

That's correct. The process is the same for a BIRDGE or BOOST.
Badge +1
I have tried this solution and it worked for a day, but this weekend my Playbar just stopped giving off sound. This morning the sound (while watching TV) continued to be in and out and the speech was coming through all staccato. I have no idea what items I should try to move since I don't really have an option to move my Roku away from my Playbar and my Bridge has to be next to all of my other wireless equipment since it has to be plugged into the router. I am so frustrated with always having to look at my wife and say, "I don't know why it isn't working..." If there is anything else I can try, please let me know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have tried this solution and it worked for a day, but this weekend my Playbar just stopped giving off sound. This morning the sound (while watching TV) continued to be in and out and the speech was coming through all staccato. I have no idea what items I should try to move since I don't really have an option to move my Roku away from my Playbar and my Bridge has to be next to all of my other wireless equipment since it has to be plugged into the router. I am so frustrated with always having to look at my wife and say, "I don't know why it isn't working..." If there is anything else I can try, please let me know.

Thanks for trying. At this point I think it would be best to have our phone team take a look at this live. Please give us a call and they'll help out. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Do you happen to have an Amazon Alexa with Sonos skill enabled? Or an Alexa enabled Sonos: One? I've noticed issues with our Sonos devices since enabling. When someone triggers Alexa ALL THE SONOS in the house drop volume. Highly annoying if you're on the other side of the house.
Badge +1
@Jeff S - I have not been able to call the Tech Support team, but I am still having the drop off of the audio. One question I have is if I might get better performance with a Boost. I currently have a Bridge but I have read the Boost is better at dealing with interference. Is all of that accurate or is the Boost not likely to solve the problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Jeff S - I have not been able to call the Tech Support team, but I am still having the drop off of the audio. One question I have is if I might get better performance with a Boost. I currently have a Bridge but I have read the Boost is better at dealing with interference. Is all of that accurate or is the Boost not likely to solve the problem?

The BOOST should outperform the BRIDGE. You could try it out and always send it back if you're still having issues.
Badge +1
Thanks.. Is it easy to remove the bridge and add the boost?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks.. Is it easy to remove the bridge and add the boost?

The best way is to add the BOOST to your existing system first. Once it's added in you can swap the ethernet cable from the BRIDGE to the BOOST and you're all set.
Badge +1
@JeffS - I had one more question for you if I could. According to my diagnostic the "Sonos speakers are having a hard time sending the streaming data wirelessly quick enough. This is likely due to wireless interference that is weakening the signal between your speakers." My Bridge is right next to my router, lutron, DirecTV wireless transmitter, internet enabled cameras and a couple of other things. I am wondering if that might be causing some of my interference. I was thinking of 2 possible solutions for this.

1. When my builder built the house, he put CAT5 cable throughout the house. I could move the bridge to the main floor of my house and still have it hardwired to the router.

2. I could get a Boost and add it to the system. I would leave the Bridge where it is and put the Boost on the main floor (hardwired).

Do you think either of these might work and is there one that might be a better solution?

Thank you for all your help on this.

Lee
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@JeffS - I had one more question for you if I could. According to my diagnostic the "Sonos speakers are having a hard time sending the streaming data wirelessly quick enough. This is likely due to wireless interference that is weakening the signal between your speakers." My Bridge is right next to my router, lutron, DirecTV wireless transmitter, internet enabled cameras and a couple of other things. I am wondering if that might be causing some of my interference. I was thinking of 2 possible solutions for this.

1. When my builder built the house, he put CAT5 cable throughout the house. I could move the bridge to the main floor of my house and still have it hardwired to the router.

2. I could get a Boost and add it to the system. I would leave the Bridge where it is and put the Boost on the main floor (hardwired).

Do you think either of these might work and is there one that might be a better solution?

Thank you for all your help on this.

Lee

You could wire in any number of Sonos units with ethernet cables and it should increase the stability of your system. The BRIDGE is a bit less powerful than the BOOST. You could try temporarily wiring in some of your speakers to see if things improve, and if so, that might be a good location for a BOOST or BRIDGE.
Badge +1
Thank you. But would moving the Bridge help to reduce the interference the diagnostic said I am getting?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank you. But would moving the Bridge help to reduce the interference the diagnostic said I am getting?

Potentially. It depends on the source of the interference. You could try, then send a diagnostic report in after a few minutes.
Badge +1
Hello, This morning my Soundbar would not work at all. I got no sound from the sound bar for the TV it was plugged into but the other speakers in the room that were grouped with it were giving off the TV audio. I ran a diagnostic this morning and it was 1210839547. Would that be able to tell you what might be happening?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, This morning my Soundbar would not work at all. I got no sound from the sound bar for the TV it was plugged into but the other speakers in the room that were grouped with it were giving off the TV audio. I ran a diagnostic this morning and it was 1210839547. Would that be able to tell you what might be happening?

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see anything in the diagnostic report which would explain why your PLAYBAR isn't playing audio. Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to have our phone team take a look live. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.