Turntable --> Preamp --> Connect --> Beam = very quiet

• 23 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a Technics SL-1700MK2 turntable that is running to a Rolls VP29 Pre-amp to a Sonos Connect and then to a Sonos Beam.  When I first set it up, without the pre-amp, the sound was very quiet and I had to have the Sonos volume all the way up just to hear anything.  Then I added the pre-amp and it was fine.  But soemtime recently it developed the same problem.  I even sent the pre-amp back to Rolls under a warranty repalcement in case that was the issue.  They returned me a brand new one but it’s still very quiet.  If I turn the Sonos volume all the way up and sit right next to the speaker I can hear it, but that’s it.  Any ideas? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge +20

On the Connect the line in level should be at 10

Userlevel 7

Have you checked all of your connections on the turntable, preamp, and Connect to make sure everything is connected correctly and there aren’t any loose connections?

That helped somewhat, but it’s still somewhat quiet at half volume and if I crank it up to full volume I get a loud buzz in the background. Any thoughts? 

Userlevel 7

Under the Line-in settings for the Connect, adjust the Source Level higher. Also set Audio Compression to Uncompressed.