TuneIn stops playing on Sonos Amp, usually after commercials

• 8 August 2021
  • 3 replies

I’m having a problem with my Sonos Amp. I almost exclusively use TuneIn on the Amp, and often the audio stream will just stop. If I check on a phone or PC it will show the audio has stopped and I need to press play to have it start again. I am pretty sure it only ever happens after a commercial break is coming to an end. Not every commercial break though. Sometimes it happens after 10 minutes, sometimes after an hour or two.  

Three TuneIn stations that I use have this problem - 181.fm Beatles, Classic Hits, Classic Rock Hits. These are really the whole reason I even use the Sonos.

The Amp is hard wired via ethernet into my switch, then hard wired to 4 speakers. There is no wireless being used. I don’t believe it to be an Internet issue; I can stream 4K video content with no buffering.

Any advice would be appreciated. It’s getting annoying.

I created a diagnostic report - 151035383

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Try removing TuneIn from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it. Also unplug the Amp from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router, and be sure WiFi is enabled on the Amp in the Sonos app.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried removing and re-adding earlier today but no change.

Tried unplugging and replugging the amp today but no change.

I’ll try rebooting the router tomorrow.

Wifi WAS enabled on the Sonos when I checked today, but I turned it off to see if it would fix it (it didn’t). Honest question: Why does WIFI need to be on with a wired setup? I often use my wired desktop to play music, and even if I use my phone to start the music, is the amp not streaming the audio through the network in a wired fashion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mdw79 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Did rebooting the router help? If not, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

If you have a wired Sonos unit, it will broadcast a private, Sonos-only WiFi for units that cannot reach ethernet to connect to. As you have two units, and both are wired, WiFi isn’t really needed. You may find it helps if you add any more units, however.