Question

Tunein Radio stations cutting out

• 15 August 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge
Becoming a regular occurrence, wireless is ok but all of a sudden the radio will go off and then cannot access any stations. Is there a general issue or just me?

Diagnostics Submission: Your confirmation number is: 7719165.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Depends on what station it is. If it's the BBC, then yes, it's a common occurrence. But generally speaking, for all stations, no. If I were to guess, you've either got some sort of wifi interference keeping that speaker(s) from reaching your wifi router, or potentially a duplicate IP address issue bumping that speaker off of your wifi for a period of time.

First, try changing your router's wifi channel. Use 1, 6 or 11, whichever it's not currently using. If it's on Automatic, turn that off, that can confuse the speakers which need a constant signal, not one that jumps all over the place randomly (rhetorically speaking). If you've got one speaker wired to your router, try changing the SonosNet channel in the Sonos app to a channel your router isn't using.

Second, if that doesn't work, unplug all your Sonos speakers. Reboot your router, and wait till it boots up fully. Then plug back in your first Sonos speaker, and give it a minute to fully boot up before moving to the next speaker. Lather, rinse, repeat for as many speakers you have. This will force your router to reset it's IP address tracking, and make sure each speaker has a new unique IP address. If you want, I always recommend figuring out how to assign static IPs on your router, and doing that for all of your stuff. But that's an optional step that merely protects you from a similar experience next time Sonos does a software update, or you lose power, etc.
Badge
Cheers Bruce, changing SonosNet channel is a regular thing of late as occasionally when downloading the sound will cut off. More often than not its BBC but sometimes its all of them on tunein. I will investigate the complete IP reset next time, thank you for your input, much appreciated.
Well, I hope it works for you. Good luck!
Badge
Well, I tried your suggestions Bruce but still kept losing the signal for Radio 2 this afternoon, guess its just something I will have to put up with sadly.
Radio 2 is BBC, is it not?
Badge
Sadly, yes it is...
I know for a fact that TuneIn has been trying to resolve issues with BBC for months, without much success. I don't think the BBC cares about people who aren't using their own app, but that's pure speculation on my part.
Badge
I'm going to have a go with RadioPlayer, see how that goes
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I know for a fact that TuneIn has been trying to resolve issues with BBC for months, without much success. I don't think the BBC cares about people who aren't using their own app, but that's pure speculation on my part. Been suffering a similar fate and did wonder whether it was the BBC stream to the Tunein Radio feed. Move over to an Amazon playlist and boom, rock solid again ... guess that's part of the reason why then. :8