Question

Tunein radio dropping out all the time now

• 20 April 2016
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Considering Sonos is not cheap, do you not think that they could find an alternative radio app? It's such a pain not to be able to listen to any BBC channels.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Me too. Most radio is OK on Sonos via TuneIn (other than that lots of internet radio stations do seem to come and go with great regularity) but still occasionally get drop outs on BBC stations. Rebooting the App and / or Router sometimes helps. Otherwise........if you have a Sonos Connect, you can use this for radio plug-in on the Line-In function (I use my iPhone). This also allows me to listen to Spotify on the free service.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh boy I've had and continue to have the exact same issues which have plagued my listening to radio stations and in particular BBC but not exclusively BBC stations. I've spoken to Sonos and sent them diagnostic reports but for months now I've given up trying to make sense of it all. Basically, listening to radio on my system is no longer an option. Sonos admitted to me that they do think there are issues and particular with BBC stations but sadly they seem unable to rectify the issue. Real shame as I get great enjoyment from listening to my music on I tunes along with Spotify but radio listening is a complete no no.
Oh boy I've had and continue to have the exact same issues which have plagued my listening to radio stations and in particular BBC but not exclusively BBC stations. I've spoken to Sonos and sent them diagnostic reports but for months now I've given up trying to make sense of it all. Basically, listening to radio on my system is no longer an option. Sonos admitted to me that they do think there are issues and particular with BBC stations but sadly they seem unable to rectify the issue. Real shame as I get great enjoyment from listening to my music on I tunes along with Spotify but radio listening is a complete no no.
Hi,
I've only been having problems with the Radio 2 feed. All other stations I listen to have been unaffected. I found that changing the Radio 2 feed from Radio 2 to BBC Radio 2 89.1 seems to have solved all the drop or problems I've been experiencing.
Guys,

I'm experiencing the same drop out on BBC radio stations only, did thi sever get fixed please??
Btw 2 x paired (gen 1) Play 5 + Sub, 4 x Play 1 (2 paired), 2 x Play 3, 1 x Connect.
Experiencing TuneIn dropouts on BBC stations only. Other stations are fine. So cant understand why re-starting network and connected appliances to reallocate IPs would make any difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This worked for me for same problem using a desktop computer (advice from the Sonos helpline)...power down both computer and router and remove power point plugs for about a minute. Powered up and all good now. Still don't know why/how unplugging has any influence though....any electrical geeks out there who might have the answer?

Sometimes the Wi-Fi router will allocate a new IP address to one or more units whilst not properly identifying to the unit that it has a new address. This then causes intermittent playback issues that ultimately can make using Sonos almost impossible. These conflicts arise if units are soft re-started which is what happens sometimes during a software update (and hence why there are always people insisting the update bricked their system).
In terms of sorting this out when it happens then the Wi-Fi router, ALL Sonos gear AND any item attached to the Wi-Fi network (phones, tablets, NAS etc) should be switched off. Then restart router forst, then Bridge or Boost, then Sonos units and then the rest of the network items.
If this is something happens in your system then if you set fixed IP addresses for the Sonos units in your Router advanced settings this should fix that problem.
Badge
This worked for me for same problem using a desktop computer (advice from the Sonos helpline)...power down both computer and router and remove power point plugs for about a minute. Powered up and all good now. Still don't know why/how unplugging has any influence though....any electrical geeks out there who might have the answer?
I have the same problem with BBC radio 6 today, dropping out all the time. No problem with Absolute Radio though which I thought was odd. I've been waking up to 6 music for months with no problems, just started today.
Hi

I'm trying to listen to BBC 6 music but it keeps dropping out. Other stations are fine.
Thanks
While it's worth checking on your PC using your browser (www.tunein.com) to see if it's the Sonos that's the problem, or TuneIn's stream. It's likely that it's the BBC that's causing the problem. From what has been reported here on these boards, they seem to be a little flaky with a lot of the streams that they provide to Tunein.

Sonos just has an implementation of Tunein, i.e. they are both aggregators of content. Sonos takes whatever Tunein points to. Tunein takes whatever the BBC provides. The BBC seems to change their streams frequently, and I suspect that they have issues with licensing for world distribution of certain data. Notice that the BBC app doesn't seem to have any issues whatsoever (from what I hear). In fact, dropping a note to the BBC to add the whole "casting" thing to Sonos like Spotify implemented wouldn't be a bad idea.

You may want to check to see what the real URL that the BBC is using on their own website for that stream, to see if it matches what has been given to Tunein (and hence to your Sonos speakers). If it's not the same, I'd urge you to put the new one into your Sonos app as a favorite.

That all being said, there's always the possibility that there's a specific issue with your Sonos system, so submitting a system diagnostic after the problem occurs, and posting the number here is never a bad idea, and would give the folks at Sonos an opportunity to look at the log files from your system (roughly 10 minutes worth of logs) to see if there might be something that they can see. Glad to see that you'll be submitting such, next time.
Similar experience for me on my Play:5. Don't know if it's just BBC, because I don't really listen to anything else on TuneIn, but BBC R2 and 6 Music will be fine for a period of time, and then just start having drop outs of a few seconds. Sometimes it doesn't happen (I'm happily listening as we speak), sometimes it's once every few minutes, sometimes it just gets to the point where I turn it off because it's pointless trying to listen. I did have it on WiFi, so invested in PowerLine adapters because I assumed it was a wifi issue, but having promised the wife that everything would be tickety boo now, I was annoyed to find exactly the same problem. This only affects radio stations, playing Apple Music etc. doesn't seem to be an issue.

Will submit a diagnostic next time it occurs.
Hi Jeff,
Sorry to be slow in responding - I have been away.
I ran diagnostics while my Sonos 1 was dropping BBC Radio 4 - report 7170199.
Running the diagnostics was quite difficult as when the radio dropped out my iPhone (held next to my Sonos 1) was saying "No Sonos detected - check your wifi link" despite the other wifi functions (like email and internet) working on the iPhone and the phone showing a strong signal.
I turned the Sonos 1 off and on again and it then played BBC Radio 4 without dropping (this is my normal fix and sometimes it needs 2 or 3 on/offs before the problem goes away) - I ran the diagnostics again - report 7170204.
A while later (still playing Radio 4 without drop out) I ran another diagnostics report - 7170230
Mouse
Badge
I am an experienced Sonos user, going back ten years, use them today in four locations, about 15 players of all types. I am experiencing the same drop-out problem with Tune-In streaming radio stations. For years no problems, now basiocally very poor. I am usually listening to CBC stations, and I switch to others, same thing. App up to date, etc. Have tried altering my Wii channels, no difference. Very robust internet feed.

Seriously, Sonos, something in your software is not working as well as it used to and it is not my setup.

PS; I submitted a diagnostic report 7167805. (There is no record of this in the error log.)
Badge
I am an experienced Sonos user, going back ten years, use them today in four locations, about 15 players of all types. I am experiencing the same drop-out problem with Tune-In streaming radio stations. For years no problems, now basiocally very poor. I am usually listening to CBC stations, and I switch to others, same thing. App up to date, etc. Have tried altering my Wii channels, no difference. Very robust internet feed.

Seriously, Sonos, something in your software is not working as well as it used to and it is not my setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My Sonos 1 has been dropping BBC radio stations since the last software update. I do not believe it is a wifi network issue as it only efects the BBC stations and none of my other wifi linked equipment have any problems. After I bought it (Christmas 2015) it constantly lost BBC radio stations but not other radio stations ( that i tried). The problem went away after a software update around August 16 but has now returned. It seems to stabilise if i turn the power off to the Sonos 1 - restart it, and turn on the BBC radio again (sometimes ned 2 repeats).

Hi mouse,

Please submit a diagnostic report from your system after you hear any audio interruptions.Then, reply with the confirmation number and I'll take a look for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff. I've had a Sonos for about 10 days. After about an hour of listening to BBC radio (2 & 6) via TuneIn, it starts to drop out, which, as others have alluded to, is infuriating! Diagnostics report is 7151485. I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to resolve the situation please. Thanks in advance

Hi FleetOfFoot,

There's quite a bit of wireless interference showing up in your report. This interference from nearby wireless devices can cause communication errors between your speakers and network which can lead to audio interruptions. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using to reduce interference. Let me know how it goes.
My Sonos 1 has been dropping BBC radio stations since the last software update. I do not believe it is a wifi network issue as it only efects the BBC stations and none of my other wifi linked equipment have any problems. After I bought it (Christmas 2015) it constantly lost BBC radio stations but not other radio stations ( that i tried). The problem went away after a software update around August 16 but has now returned. It seems to stabilise if i turn the power off to the Sonos 1 - restart it, and turn on the BBC radio again (sometimes ned 2 repeats).
Thanks Jeff. I've had a Sonos for about 10 days. After about an hour of listening to BBC radio (2 & 6) via TuneIn, it starts to drop out, which, as others have alluded to, is infuriating! Diagnostics report is 7151485. I'd welcome any suggestions as to how to resolve the situation please. Thanks in advance
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having audio drop outs on TuneIn radio, please send in a diagnostic report after the drops happen. Reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
I have the same issues. I've had 2 Sonos 1s for about a month. The streaming radio services drop out all the time. I've had my incoming fiber cable checked and found no issues. It doesn't seem to matter what radio stations I'm listening to, they all drop out. However, if I stream the same station on my laptop through a website or on my iPhone using the app "Simple Radio," I have no problems. Sonos will drop repeatedly; I'll turn them off and start the stream on another device without problem; I'll return to Sonos, and the dropouts will continue. Any thoughts?
Badge
Hello Folks, from the reading above I fear an element of ego is sneaking in. I have 3 Sonos 3s which I really like. I am using Tunein for radion feed and I have a good solid 70Mb fibre feed, but my radio stations do drop out all the time, which is a bit irritating. Question: John B (above) suggested that Sonos actually has its own radio feed. I am a bit new to this still, so if you could please expand a bit for me? I will keep looking but my first searches had me using Tunein due to not finding anything else. Is it me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Bob, we're currently looking into an issue with BBC radio stations dropping out which you may be experiencing. It's unrelated to the original trouble this thread was started for.

I just made a post in this thread around the trouble. If you haven't yet, it'd be great to give us a call on our support line.
Badge
Hi,
I am having the same problem with BBC radio channels. Seems like a buffering issue to me.
I have rebooted my router (154Meg connection). Powered down/up my R1 and R3 but continue to get problems with the BBC radio channels.
All others that I have tried (about 12 non-bbc channels) stream OK with no issues. Music streaming from my andriod device is also OK.

I notice above that Siobhan H seems to have found help with this issue.
Any chance you can let me know what was done to rectify the issue?

PS. This has only started for me over the past 2 weeks. Was fine before then.

Cheers.
Bob.